Still trying to get a handle on the Jets

yave1964

Three seasons ago I declared the Jets the leagues most boring team and was called to task by a fan in here and so I watched them closer, they are a tight checking bunch and they made the big trade with buffalo, became a playoff team with a heavy shot and lots of heavy hip checks and were indeed fun to watch. I made a point of watching them more and indeed I was wrong, they were frustrating but fun to watch.

Now, I do not know what to think of them.

They have two electric young playersImage result for laine jets in Laine and Scheifele whoth?&id=OIP.Me0d16a0171736194f89357653ecc are worth the price of admission Ehlers is a close third when it comes to young talent, the trio would make any organization envious. They have a young goalie in Hellebuyck who is top notch and other good fun kids such as Trouba, Copp and Petan who show signs of becoming good solid players, and a returning core of veterans such as Wheeler and Big Buff and Little. On paper this team should be dynamic, a force to be reckoned with and a team to be feared.

Instead somehow they are 15-16-3 slogging along in 5th place in their division and 9th overall in the Western Conference. If the playoffs began today they would be on the outside looking in and the West is having a down year.

How??

How does a team with this much top tier talent and quite frankly with guys like Lowry and Perreault and Dano providing decent secondary abilities as well take two steps forwards and then two steps back all year, never really finding their footing.

You could sight injuries and it is true that guys such as Myers, Little and Perreault have missed time this season but every team goes through injuries and these are secondary players on this team.

Hellboy has been good for stretches and not so good in others and Hutchinson, the backup is barely an NHL goalie so there is that.

The defense is average, Trouba who seems to think that his pedestrian numbers that he has put up so far in his career are worth six million a year has been okay, Buff is still a forward playing defense on most nights, Myers has been out, Enstrom has never developed beyond an okay 2nd pairing guy. Morrissey is a top tier prospect but the learning curve on defense is sharper than at forwards and he is still a rookie. But for all of that there is still a lot of talent there.

My personal opinion is Paul th?&id=OIP.Ma36105069b39f6371aea96ff726aMaurice has to go, he is not getting the most out of these guys, the only thing keeping them within striking distance is the trio of brilliant young kids at the top, the veterans seem to all be down this year, some more than others, Buff is not scoring like before, same with Wheeler, but they are doing better than guys like Stafford and Perreault and Enstrom.

A new coach to light a fire under the vets is what this team needs. I do not see them going anywhere until Maurice is replaced.

4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

frustrating but fun to watch

This is still the best description of the team.

Instead somehow they are 15-16-3 slogging along in 5th place in their division and 9th overall in the Western Conference. If the playoffs began today they would be on the outside looking in and the West is having a down year.

How??

The short answer is: they are young, make mistakes and are inconsistent. They weren't getting great goal tending earlier on. Their PK has been terrible at times. With Little going down in game one, they couldn't win a faceoff some nights. 

Morrissey is a top tier prospect but the learning curve on defense is sharper than at forwards and he is still a rookie.

Morrissey has been great. Perfectly paired with Buff, he has been near flawless for many of his minutes. One of the big surprise stories this year. I don't see anything but positive there. They brought him along perfectly.

I do not see them going anywhere until Maurice is replaced.

I disagree, but I can see why you might say that. The Jets are a very young team. To me, the key question is: is he the guy to develop this young talent, is he good for the kids? It's too early to tell, but look at the phenomenal development of Scheifele? Or Ehlers? Laine? Not much to do there, he was NHL ready. But he's scoring like crazy. 

8 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Three seasons ago I declared the Jets the leagues most boring team and was called to task by a fan in here and so I watched them closer, they are a tight checking bunch and they made the big trade with buffalo, became a playoff team with a heavy shot and lots of heavy hip checks and were indeed fun to watch. I made a point of watching them more and indeed I was wrong, they were frustrating but fun to watch.

Now, I do not know what to think of them.

They have two electric young playersImage result for laine jets in Laine and Scheifele whoth?&id=OIP.Me0d16a0171736194f89357653ecc are worth the price of admission Ehlers is a close third when it comes to young talent, the trio would make any organization envious. They have a young goalie in Hellebuyck who is top notch and other good fun kids such as Trouba, Copp and Petan who show signs of becoming good solid players, and a returning core of veterans such as Wheeler and Big Buff and Little. On paper this team should be dynamic, a force to be reckoned with and a team to be feared.

How??

How does a team with this much top tier talent and quite frankly with guys like Lowry and Perreault and Dano providing decent secondary abilities as well take two steps forwards and then two steps back all year, never really finding their footing.

You could sight injuries and it is true that guys such as Myers, Little and Perreault have missed time this season but every team goes through injuries and these are secondary players on this team.

Hellboy has been good for stretches and not so good in others and Hutchinson, the backup is barely an NHL goalie so there is that.

The defense is average, Trouba who seems to think that his pedestrian numbers that he has put up so far in his career are worth six million a year has been okay, Buff is still a forward playing defense on most nights, Myers has been out, Enstrom has never developed beyond an okay 2nd pairing guy. Morrissey is a top tier prospect but the learning curve on defense is sharper than at forwards and he is still a rookie. But for all of that there is still a lot of talent there.

My personal opinion is Paul th?&id=OIP.Ma36105069b39f6371aea96ff726aMaurice has to go, he is not getting the most out of these guys, the only thing keeping them within striking distance is the trio of brilliant young kids at the top, the veterans seem to all be down this year, some more than others, Buff is not scoring like before, same with Wheeler, but they are doing better than guys like Stafford and Perreault and Enstrom.

A new coach to light a fire under the vets is what this team needs. I do not see them going anywhere until Maurice is replaced.

Team is fun to watch. It seems there is more there but Maurice is holding them back. I agree. Time to go Pauly.

Archived