Jump to content
News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

jammer2

The 2017 World Jr Championship Thread

Recommended Posts

Just watched Flyer prospect Carter Hart stop 25 shots in a 5-0 shut out win against the depleted previous year champs, the Fins. Carter looked strong and is the odds on favourite to back stop Team Canada in their attempt at Gold. Real strong side to side movement, really nice at following the puck and anticapting the play, hard to score on down low, nice glove, he showed it all against the Fins.

 

 The Fins were never in this, Jost scored 11 seconds in, and it was 2-0 before the 2 minute mark. Fair to point out though, Canada has finalized it's roster (except for possible injury replacements) and the Fins still have 28 players to pick from.

 

 In general, 4 very fast, tenacious balanced scoring lines for Canada and a defense that looks solid. Flyer pick Phillpe Myers is on the 2nd pairing and plays the point on the 2nd pp, which has a 1-3-1 alignment, so a lot of trust in Myers to disperse and keep the play alive. Myers skating looked very nice, very strong on the puck also.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad you started this Jammer as I look forward to the Tournament.

 

Here is a look at team USA's preliminary roster.  9 picks in the first round with another 6 in the 2nd. -- That has to be a new record for Team USA.  :salute:

 

Team USA.png

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go Latvia!

 

Looking forward to watching what I can of the tourny. Flyers could have up to 9 prospects playing, including 3(!) goalies potentially starting for their respective teams.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Link to Canada's schedule: 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 A nice article on 5 draft eligible players in this years tourny....at the bottom of the article it has the full schedule for every team and date and times of elimination rounds. None of these 5 are North American, so a very informative article on some young stars from Europe we are not overly familiar with.

 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

 A nice article on 5 draft eligible players in this years tourny....at the bottom of the article it has the full schedule for every team and date and times of elimination rounds. None of these 5 are North American, so a very informative article on some young stars from Europe we are not overly familiar with.

 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

 

 

My Nova Scotia contacts rave about Hischier who plays for the Mooseheads. 

 

Too bad we won't see Patrick and those other two. 

 

4 more sleeps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

 

My Nova Scotia contacts rave about Hischier who plays for the Mooseheads. 

 

Too bad we won't see Patrick and those other two. 

 

4 more sleeps!

 

 

 To be honest, Hischier was the only one out of the 5 I have ever heard of, so I look forward to seeing the other guys as well as Hirchier. I have not read through the article thoroughly, but I think he's the only one of the 5 listed that plays in North America.

 

 If this version of Team Canada is good enough to medal, I just pray that Team Canada plays the prime time slot in the Semi's, cause i have to work on Jan 4th and don't get home until 6:30 pm. The Gold Medal game is scheduled for prime time the next night, so I'm ok there, since I also work a 12 hr shift on the 5th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Go Latvia!

 

Looking forward to watching what I can of the tourny. Flyers could have up to 9 prospects playing, including 3(!) goalies potentially starting for their respective teams.

 

 I know Carter is probably gonna start for Team Canada, and Felix Sandstrom is a near guarantee for the Swedes, but who is the 3rd goalie, I"m stumped?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jammer2 said:

 

 I know Carter is probably gonna start for Team Canada, and Felix Sandstrom is a near guarantee for the Swedes, but who is the 3rd goalie, I"m stumped?

Tomek. Not sure if he's going to start or if Huska is, but he's on Slovakia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

 

 I know Carter is probably gonna start for Team Canada, and Felix Sandstrom is a near guarantee for the Swedes, but who is the 3rd goalie, I"m stumped?

 

Matej Tomek likely Slovak backup, but you never know who becomes the starter as the tourney advances

Edited by Podein25

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, AJgoal said:

Tomek. Not sure if he's going to start or if Huska is, but he's on Slovakia. 

 

Thanks AJ, Pods.....yeah, all it takes is one bad outing and a different guy is in net. The only way a team like Slovakia can medal is for a goalie to literally steal multiple games, so if the first guy loses, it's next man up usually, unless the guy played outstanding in the loss.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Just looking at Canada's Group B .....it's a huge ask, but if Canada can beat Russia in the opener and the USA on New Years Eve, the road to the Gold will be much, much easier. The other teams in our group, Latvia and Slovakia will be hard pressed to defeat Canada...not looking past them, but if history has taught us anything, those smaller nations don't usually fare well against the Maple Leaf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Kind of exciting to think it could be Tomak vs Carter when Canada and Slovakia meet from Group B....and who knows, imagine Carter vs Sandstrom for the Gold or in a one and done elimination game.

 

 If the first exhibition game means anything, Myers is gonna have a real nice tourny, he's a difference maker, so smart and so fast for a 6'5 monster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jammer2 said:

 Just looking at Canada's Group B .....it's a huge ask, but if Canada can beat Russia in the opener and the USA on New Years Eve, the road to the Gold will be much, much easier. The other teams in our group, Latvia and Slovakia will be hard pressed to defeat Canada...not looking past them, but if history has taught us anything, those smaller nations don't usually fare well against the Maple Leaf.

 

Neither is our Kryptonite....the Swiss!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, jammer2 said:

  Kind of exciting to think it could be Tomak vs Carter when Canada and Slovakia meet from Group B....and who knows, imagine Carter vs Sandstrom for the Gold or in a one and done elimination game.

 

 If the first exhibition game means anything, Myers is gonna have a real nice tourny, he's a difference maker, so smart and so fast for a 6'5 monster.

 

He's been our best defenceman over 2 games. Hextall basically got a mid-1st round pick for free.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This years' team Canada will be a "blue collar" type of team. No really big superstars, but we should be competitive. You can never tell with kids..... :canada:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BluPuk said:

This years' team Canada will be a "blue collar" type of team. No really big superstars, but we should be competitive. You can never tell with kids..... :canada:

 

They've looked pretty fast compared to the Finns and Czechs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm expecting a big tournament out of Carter Hart and Phillipe Meyers. Tomek I'm worried about because he hasn't played a meaningful hockey game in over a year now. I wish he could go to major junior in Canada, but that stupid rule about barring goaltenders from outside of North America is the stupidest rule they ever put into place. Tomek really has nowhere to go unless he goes back to Slovakia. Too bad Hextall couldn't talk to one of his European counterparts to see if there's a place in the SEL or FEL for Tomek.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

 

He's been our best defenceman over 2 games. Hextall basically got a mid-1st round pick for free.

 

 I wanna temper my expectations, but honestly, from what I saw in the exhibition games, Myers might be a top 10 pick if he was going this year. Of course, a year older and all that, but what shocked me was how fluid he looked skating, most guys who are 6'5 have an awkward stride and lack dexterity, Myers skates like he's 6'1 and has considerable offensive upside, those kinda guys don't grow on trees. He really closes ground quickly when going after loose pucks. If all goes right, this could indeed end up being one of the great steals of the last decade. I'm sure there are 29 other GM's asking their QMJHL scouts "what the hell, how did you miss him"??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, BluPuk said:

This years' team Canada will be a "blue collar" type of team. No really big superstars, but we should be competitive. You can never tell with kids..... :canada:

 

Maybe blue collar in the sense of hard working bring your lunch bucket kinda toughness, but there is no shortage of elite speed and scoring on this team. This is no group of grinders, every line is super dangerous and it will be real hard for opposing teams to match up against us line wise. Every team has a real good checking line, but when you throw out 4 lines like Canada can, it creates mis-matches that cannot be solved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Among the dozens of news worthy stories coming out of Canada meeting Russia on Boxing Day....the Habs future on the blue line, namely 2015 first round pick Noah Juulsen and 2016 first rounder Sergi Sergavchev will play for opposing sides. Noah is the captain of the Everett Silvertips and a teammate of starting Canada goalie Carter Hart. Sergavachev is the top d-man and asst captain of the Windsor Spitfires. Should be a nice sidebar to keep an eye on....

 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Juulsen hasn't impressed me much so far...still very early obviously...just thought he'd be better.

 

Up and getting ready to head to Niagara to my sisters. Our family gets together every year on Boxing Day to watch the World Junior opener.....oh ya, and to celebrate Christmas!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Juulsen hasn't impressed me much so far...still very early obviously...just thought he'd be better.

 

Up and getting ready to head to Niagara to my sisters. Our family gets together every year on Boxing Day to watch the World Junior opener.....oh ya, and to celebrate Christmas!

 

 Just numbers wise, he took a huge step back after being drafted by the Habs. He has really picked it up after last year and his numbers look like those of an offensive defensemen, which, in part was why he was selected.

 

 I  think it's on tape delay, but we get our first look at Sweden and Flyers prospect Sandstrom in the nets at 1pm on TSN.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jammer2 said:

 

 Just numbers wise, he took a huge step back after being drafted by the Habs. He has really picked it up after last year and his numbers look like those of an offensive defensemen, which, in part was why he was selected.

 

 I  think it's on tape delay, but we get our first look at Sweden and Flyers prospect Sandstrom in the nets at 1pm on TSN.

 

I just meant in the two games this tournament. I thought he'd be a top pairing guy...glad to see Myers is instead.

 

 Sandstrom has been great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 4
      Post
      It's just a phenomenal tournament. The NHL goes on the backburner for me while it's on. 
    • 3
      Post
      I'm becoming a big non-fan of Strome. Remember is last year's tourney when he took 4 min shifts?
    • 2
      Post
      With the Swiss beating Denmark Finland now finds itself in Relegation with Latvia.  Which wouldn't necessarily be a major issue but...     I guess they are Finnished...  
    • 2
      Post
      I just have to add. I have never watched a World Juniors game before, and I only watched this one because I was checking to see what was on NHL Network, but I will say CATEGORICALLY that this was the most entertaining hockey game I have watched in a VERY long time. What a freaking great hockey game! I was mesmerized. Couldn't leave the room unless there was a commercial. Didn't want to miss anything!   Two very evenly matched teams. All young players. Back and forth. I actually thought
    • 1
      Post
      I see what they did there - criminal. On the other hand, those would make excellent taco holders.
    • 1
      Post
      @hf101     Someone lost a bet...   @jammer2
×
×
  • Create New...