The 2017 World Jr Championship Thread

jammer2

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I just meant in the two games this tournament. I thought he'd be a top pairing guy...glad to see Myers is instead.

Sandstrom has been great.

Well, he has not really stood out, but Juuhlen has been pretty steady in his own zone. The other guys will carry the offense, we need him to be good in his own zone and be strong in the puck support. I do like his mobility, which is a big factor as to why he made it this year, after being one of the last 3 cuts last year. We shall see...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Some positive news, Canada has hosted the World Jr's 11 times. Canada has NEVER not finished in the top 3, and has 5 gold medals during those 11 tournys.

I think today's game with Russia will be key for team Canada.  They can't start off this tournament with a typical slow start.

Team USA should be tough to beat also as they have 11 players who helped the U.S. earn a gold medal as a member of the 2015 U.S. Men's National Under-18 Team.  

3 minutes ago, hf101 said:

I think today's game with Russia will be key for team Canada.  They can't start off this tournament with a typical slow start.

Team USA should be tough to beat also as they have 11 players who helped the U.S. earn a gold medal as a member of the 2015 U.S. Men's National Under-18 Team.  

I can't guarantee a win over Russia, but I can guarantee a quick start for Canada, no matter what transpires in the 1st period of tonights game. There is no quit in this Team Canada. My gut says Jost is our best player, but many others can rise up to take that honour. VERY balanced team with speed, grit and skill all over the place. Not so sure Russia has that kind of depth...so the 3rd and 4th lines for Canada will take on a high importance in this opening game.

Totally agree with Team USA letting go of Logan Brown, kid has no heart.

Really nice reference article by the folks at Hockeywriters.com....all 30 teams have at least one representive in this years World Jrs Championship, the following shows which players belong to which NHL teams....enjoy!

http://thehockeywriters.com/2017-world-junior-roster-breakdown-by-nhl-team/

5 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

Juulsen hasn't impressed me much so far...still very early obviously...just thought he'd be better.

Up and getting ready to head to Niagara to my sisters. Our family gets together every year on Boxing Day to watch the World Junior opener.....oh ya, and to celebrate Christmas!

That's a beauty tradition. All the best FC.

Not that he has been overly stressed, but Sandstrom is 8 mins from posting an opening shut out of Denmark. He has been real solid, made some very nice saves when called upon.

This Dahlen kid (assuming he is Ulf's kid?) a 16 year old phenom on defense for Sweden is the real deal. Looks very poised for a youngster. Nylander and Grundstrom have been great as well, Sweden is deep and strong in all areas.

OK...I jinxed Sandstrom, the Danish score with 2 mins left....but only after the entire Swedish team thought it would be wise to let the Danes skate around in their own zone unmolested. WTF...didn't even try to stick check them.

Flyers pick Berndhart looked solid for Sweden....looked nothing like a 7th round pick from last summer. Had a primary assist and in general had a decent game, from the shifts I watched anyways.

Very nice to see Flyers pick Lazinsky playing with Leaf prospect Bracco. Mixed bag for Tanner in the 1st, took a questionable tripping penalty and his line had sustained pressure and almost scored.

Just one more thing to note about Lazinsky, this kid looks very smart, polished and savvy. This is no kid that will provide depth for the Phantoms, he is a legit threat to break into the Flyers line up. He can easily overtake either Laughton or Cousins, he's that good. The USA coaching staff showed a lot of confidence in him, he was one of the only forwards to appear on a 5-3 Latvia pp.

5 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Really nice reference article by the folks at Hockeywriters.com....all 30 teams have at least one representive in this years World Jrs Championship, the following shows which players belong to which NHL teams....enjoy!

http://thehockeywriters.com/2017-world-junior-roster-breakdown-by-nhl-team/

Flyers have 4 more draft picks playing than any other team (9 total and the next closest teams have 5 players).  Strong work Hexy!!

14 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Flyers have 4 more draft picks playing than any other team (9 total and the next closest teams have 5 players).  Strong work Hexy!!

Totally agree, Hexy is showing a vast knowledge of players world wide. Only TB and Bos have 5....the next closest.

6 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Calgary, Dallas, and Ottawa also have 5.

ahhh, ok...my bad. Really odd that Tampa has 5 picks, all on team Canada and none of them 1st rounders....what an amazing drafting job. Think about that....TB had 5 later round picks become one of Canada's top 20 players, 25% of Canada's top 20, THAT alone, that is mind boggling.

Just found this, a nice primer for tonights game...WJC Russia team preview!!

http://thehockeywriters.com/2017-wjc-team-russia-preview/

Looks like Flyer prospect Vorobyov is on the 1st line and top pp of Russia, and Flyers 1st rounder Rubtsov is on the 4th line, probably in a checking role.

11 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

"Hart, the highest pick of the bunch as a second-rounder, is the best goalie in the WHL and will play an integral role in Canada's success at the tournament."

I think it could just be poorly worded.  He may be talking only about the Flyers Goalie picks.

14 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

"Hart, the highest pick of the bunch as a second-rounder, is the best goalie in the WHL and will play an integral role in Canada's success at the tournament."

I think it could just be poorly worded.  He may be talking only about the Flyers Goalie picks.

ahhh, nice catch, it may indeed be worded poorly.

Some team Canada predictions...Michael McLeod is currently Canada's 13th forward. This guy is ultra talented....he will fill the net before it's all over. I also think Stehpens plays a real nice all around game and could be one of Canada's best forwards. Gauthier could ignite the 3rd line and really give Canada an advantage. Jost scores the most pts in the tourny.

Really impressed with Fabbro's game to this point. Like the way he closes ground so quickly in his own end....also, real strong on the puck. Myer's has been OUTSTANDING. We finally got to see him on a rush with open ice...wow, that kid can fly. He skates and thinks like a forward....very dangerous player.

WOW, the line of Jost, Roy and Gauthier is MONEY. These kids just create speed mismatches all over the ice, terrific forecheck, the Russians hardly ever moved the puck out cleanly against this line. They work well together, very nice chemistry.

Loved the all round effort of Speers, Barzal was key to a lot of offensive zone entries, using his speed to burst over the blue line. Strome looked strong, solid play.

Hart let in 3 goals, all of which were from pretty far away. The first one by was a seeing eye shot, but the 2nd and especially the 3rd, they have to be stopped...shakey at best. Liked his puck tracking and side to side movement though. Not sure if he did enough to keep the back up out of the nets going forward.

Not sure you want to start a goalie controversy in game 2 against a team I wouldn't count as one of the powers of the WJs...but Hart wasn't good. I start Hart here and see how he rebounds. Ingram gets Latvia no matter what, then pick your starter for the US game. 

Myers might be our best prospect. Period. This kid is one heck of a defenceman.

Flyer prospects Sandstrom and Kase both named player of the game for their respective teams.

Just wanted to say, this predominately red Canada jersey with the black shoulders, that sucker is beautiful, One of the nicest in recent memory. I want one real bad. I'd love to have a Myers jersey in those colours!! 

11 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Just wanted to say, this predominately red Canada jersey with the black shoulders, that sucker is beautiful, One of the nicest in recent memory. I want one real bad. I'd love to have a Myers jersey in those colours!! 

not that I want one..., but I do agree, I really liked the red and black Canada jersey with this logo.   draft-sm.gif.c18c1fc126e07f2cf604af1d8b6

Just now, hf101 said:

not that I want one..., but I do agree, I really liked the red and black Canada jersey with this logo.   draft-sm.gif.c18c1fc126e07f2cf604af1d8b6

I'm wearing a pull over hooded sweat shirt with that very logo as I type. Love that logo, they hit it out of the park when they came up with that!!

Just watching Flyers prospect David Case (think it's pronounced Cash-eh) ....and top ranked Czech forward Martin Necas. They are playing the always tough Swiss.

Case is wearing #22 for anyone looking, and his speed and skill stick out right away!

Archived