The 2017 World Jr Championship Thread

jammer2

Just a bit more info on Kase, looks like he is playing in the Men's league in the Czech Rep....decent stats for a teenager playing against men.

Also, Kase turns 20 in mid Jan, so he was almost to old for this tourny, but you can tell he is providing a veteran presence for his team. I would call his speed elite, one of our fastest prospects.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kase on the Czech top pp. He had a nice pp shift, always keeping his feet moving and had his stick on the ice at all time, ready for a pass coming his way. He circled off the half wall, knew right when to head for the net and came away with a real nice tip, almost scored.....good awareness though.

He's a shifty little bugger, kind of a poor mans version of Johnny Hockey. On top of being fast, he is also quick.

3 hours ago, jammer2 said:

Just watching Flyers prospect David Case (think it's pronounced Cash-eh) ....and top ranked Czech forward Martin Necas. They are playing the always tough Swiss.

Case is wearing #22 for anyone looking, and his speed and skill stick out right away!

The Swiss are up 2-0 after 2 periods and are looking strong.  Kase is very noticeable out there. 

Just now, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

The Swiss are up 2-0 after 2 periods and are looking strong.  Case is very noticeable out there. 

I see the same thing. Swiss are SO good at transitioning the puck from defense to forwards, always one of their team strengths along with team speed.

Kase is showing some nice skill. Seems like only a matter of time until he bulges the twine.

Looks like the Slovaks tried to 'not lose' rather than trying to win their game against Canada. I think their plan was to try to keep the score at 0-0 until overtime. Their goalie was great anyway if a little tired at the end. :dizzysmiley-1: 

5 hours ago, BluPuk said:

Looks like the Slovaks tried to 'not lose' rather than trying to win their game against Canada. I think their plan was to try to keep the score at 0-0 until overtime. Their goalie was great anyway if a little tired at the end. :dizzysmiley-1: 

They used to be a respectable hockey country. 6 shots?! That's pathetic.

23 hours ago, Podein25 said:

They used to be a respectable hockey country. 6 shots?! That's pathetic.

I'm thinking more and more than the weaker teams are watching the relative success of the Swiss against Canada and trying to duplicate the feat. It's kinda obvious that when facing a power house like Canada, you try the old defensive shell thing, but these teams are in SUCH a shell, the don't even attempt offense, which can leave you vulnerable to odd man rushes. The goal is to string it out, take a tie game late and wait for a break. I understand it, but don't respect it.

49 minutes ago, nickp said:

I wish the world juniors got more exposure in US. NHL network isn't easily accessible NBCSN?

Although, I have the NHL network I wish they televised every game.  Chances are they will when it comes to the elimination rounds.  I suspect they will televise more next year when it is hosted in Buffalo.

I actually kinda like the tournament in Europe as I get to watch hockey in the morning and the NHL at night.  :biggrin:

2 hours ago, jammer2 said:

I'm thinking more and more than the weaker teams are watching the relative success of the Swiss against Canada and trying to duplicate the feat. It's kinda obvious that when facing a power house like Canada, you try the old defensive shell thing, but these teams are in SUCH a shell, the don't even attempt offense, which can leave you vulnerable to odd man rushes. The goal is to string it out, take a tie game late and wait for a break. I understand it, but don't respect it.

Yeah you can see that they are trying to do that. But, the New Jersey Devils Cups notwithstanding, it's no way to win a hockey game. They were better against the US Alaska notes above.

7 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Yeah you can see that they are trying to do that. But, the New Jersey Devils Cups notwithstanding, it's no way to win a hockey game. They were better against the US Alaska notes above.

At least the Devil's "tried' to advance the puck and score before retreating full tilt. I know the name of the game is winning, and in the lower teams cases, avoiding relegation and all....but somewhere...somehow....does pride not take over? Winning that way is "unmanly" IMO, Give it your best shot, hold nothing back, but fearing an opponents strength and building a game plan on that said strength, that is kinda cowardly. My self, I'd rather be relegated with my head held high than play next year knowing you played "not to lose".....

3 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

At least the Devil's "tried' to advance the puck and score before retreating full tilt. I know the name of the game is winning, and in the lower teams cases, avoiding relegation and all....but somewhere...somehow....does pride not take over? Winning that way is "unmanly" IMO, Give it your best shot, hold nothing back, but fearing an opponents strength and building a game plan on that said strength, that is kinda cowardly. My self, I'd rather be relegated with my head held high than play next year knowing you played "not to lose".....

Good point. Agreed. Have a strategy to generate scoring chances or penalties or whatever and then hopefully get lucky. THEN lock it down.

3 hours ago, hf101 said:

I don't know how Parsons and Samsonov didn't get players of the game for their respective teams.

USA holds on to win 3-2 over Russia.  

I have always liked Parsons. Huge goalie with nice reflexes. Real solid, hardly ever lets in cheap goals.

Canada plays its worst game of the tournament...wins 10-2. There was a lot of bad habits they can't afford to keep going forward. 

Taylor Raddysh joins Brayden Schenn, Mario Lemieux  and Simon Gagne as the only Canadians to score 4 goals in a game. Carter Hart played well,(not great) especially early when Latvia outplayed Canada.

3 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

US vs Canada New Years Eve for 1st place and avoidance of Sweden until final...au revoir 2016

http://cdn.acidcow.com/pics/20161229/very_interesting_photos_000.jpg

Damn, that is SO cool!!   RTD2 who we lost, projecting the image of Princess Leia, awesome. Even the Brexit and "make america great again hat", so very cool to include those!!  I will bite though, why is Toblerone part of 2016?

Don't see Abe Vigoda, but sure he is in there somewhere!!

Note to creators, THANK YOU for putting Lemmy predominately in the front!!

59 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

Damn, that is SO cool!!   RTD2 who we lost, projecting the image of Princess Leia, awesome. Even the Brexit and "make america great again hat", so very cool to include those!!  I will bite though, why is Toblerone part of 2016?

Don't see Abe Vigoda, but sure he is in there somewhere!!

Note to creators, THANK YOU for putting Lemmy predominately in the front!!

Toblerone changed the shape in 2016...still triangular, but spaced out more. 

8 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

Toblerone changed the shape in 2016...still triangular, but spaced out more. 

Ahhh, thanks was wondering. So, in other words, LESS chocolate, more areas to penny pinch! I often wonder if these big companies think we are morons....seen a brick of cheese at the supermarket lately?  Um, yeah, same price, but a whole inch shaved off....nah, didn't see that....LOL!

Archived