Skidmarks

Podein25

11 minutes ago, PhilsFanDrew said:

Technically they lost 2 (regulation to Dallas and SO loss to Nashville), but I agree mini skid is a misleading headline.  They managed to get points in 11 out of their last 12 games with 10 of those games being 2 points.  

I stand corrected. Happy Holidays

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Hilarious headline from TSN tonight on the Flyers SO win over the Caps: http://www.tsn.ca/flyers-end-mini-skid-with-so-win-over-caps-1.636695

Win 10, lose 1 now constitutes a "mini-skid"!

They actually paid someone to write that lede. The mind reels.

I'll be ok if they keep it up all season!

Win 10 lose 2 Win 10 lose 2 Win 10....

That is 40-6 right there alone... I'll say that is a hell of a half season right there.

I over ate at a Brazilian Steak House earlier in the week, and I had a tremendously long and traffic ridden commute back to the suburbs. I fought the good battle, but in the end, I had a mini skid that I had to erase by throwing out my chonies. 

Wait, wrong thread. Great headline TSN. You made my morning. 

TSN seems to be subscribing to the clickbait school of journalism.

I don't think I've visited that site in years. As an aside, does anyone else find the new trend of web development for sports sites hideous? CSN Philly, TSN, NHL.com. All of them are huge and blocky! And the navigation is really not smooth.

Just now, brelic said:

I don't think I've visited that site in years. As an aside, does anyone else find the new trend of web development for sports sites hideous? CSN Philly, TSN, NHL.com. All of them are huge and blocky! And the navigation is really not smooth.

I HATE NHL.com's setup for stats and box scores. I still use ESPN, of all places, for those.

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

I HATE NHL.com's setup for stats and box scores. I still use ESPN, of all places, for those.

Agreed! The only place I really go for my hockey news/stats is hockey-reference.com and hockeydb.com.

Ever see the Morning Report on hockeydb.com? It's a thing of simplicity and beauty! 

http://www.hockeydb.com/scoreboard/

8 hours ago, brelic said:

The amount of advertising they put on the sites now makes it unusable. Basically they're doing everything wrong now (in terms of ruining the user experience). 

• The advertisements pop in and out, causing the page content and links to jump around randomly. 
  • The pages take too long to load because of the video ads.
  • It takes too many clicks to get to the information you want. (Deliberate, because it means more ads.)
  • Can't read a textual story any more without being forced to watch two or three videos load (with 30+ seconds of forced commercials).

13 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The amount of advertising they put on the sites now makes it unusable. Basically they're doing everything wrong now (in terms of ruining the user experience). 

• The advertisements pop in and out, causing the page content and links to jump around randomly. 
  • The pages take too long to load because of the video ads.
  • It takes too many clicks to get to the information you want. (Deliberate, because it means more ads.)
  • Can't read a textual story any more without being forced to watch two or three videos load (with 30+ seconds of forced commercials).

Exactly. They have all just turned into whores! I hate it is annoying as hell to just quickly just check something.....

Happy Festivus, a holiday for the rest of us!

Welcome, newcomers. The age-old tradition of Festivus, as first celebrated by the Costanza family, begins with the airing of grievances. I got a lot of problems with you people, and now you’re gonna hear about it!

• Pierre-Edouard Bellemare: Pierre, what is up with your clean shaven look? You look like a child.
  • Nick Cousins: What are you: a center, a winger? Are you even any good? It’s about time you showed something.
  • Sean Couturier: Sean! Long time no see. Could you come back to the team? You’re doing nobody any good by resting.
  • Claude Giroux: You’re the best player on the team; act like it! The fans aren’t always wrong when they’re yelling “SHOOT!”
  • Boyd Gordon: Boyd, Boyd, Boyd. You score in your first game, the first goal of the year for the team! But then you disappear. At least win an important faceoff sometime.
  • Travis Konecny: Travis, I know you’re lost a bit playing without a good center, but could you put the puck in the back of the net?
  • Taylor Leier: Taylor, your last name is fitting because I want to leer at you every time your line gives up a goal!
  • Roman Lyubimov: Look, we all know shooting the puck is fun, but maybe take a look around before turning and firing that Russian rocket of yours.
  • Michael Raffl: Australian, Austrian, whatever. Could you get some more Finnish to your game?
  • Matt Read: Reader, you’re getting up there a bit but how about staying healthy? I don’t know how much I can watch these other third and fourth liners.
  • Brayden Schenn: Brayden, could you start producing outside of the power play? We need you hitting the back of the net, not slamming into the boards and falling onto the ice.
  • Wayne Simmonds: Wayne, I love your fire but you have too much of it sometimes; simmer down!
  • Chris VandeVelde: Oh Chris, I didn’t see you there! I thought you were just another guy.
  • Jake Voracek: Did you forget what a razor was?
  • Dale Weise: It’s incredible that you can’t score. What are we paying you for?
  • Michael Del Zotto: DJ MDZ? Not for me. Let’s worry about playing hockey and swiping pucks rather than playing EDM and swiping on Tinder.
  • Shayne Gostisbehere: Ghostbear! Where did all the goals go? Hell, even VandeVelde has more goals than you.
  • Radko Gudas: You’re a great defenseman, but get rid of this bad boy shtick. Is there a brain behind that big beard?
  • Andrew MacDonald: What are we paying you for? Stop dragging down your teammates!
  • Brandon Manning: Brandon, where did you go? Let’s get back to the way we were playing a few months ago.
  • Ivan Provorov: I know it might be different in Russia, but here you need to make sure the puck is in the net before celebrating!
  • Nick Schultz: Nick… I didn’t know you were still here!
  • Mark Streit: Oh Streiter, from your broken penis to your shoulder injury. You’re just falling apart.
  • Steve Mason: Mase Daddy! Could you get off to a hot start for once? And where’s all this confidence at when Neuvy is healthy?
  • Michael Neuvirth: You look like you’re from Whoville! Let’s get you back out on the ice.
  • Anthony Stolarz: Oh wow, I didn’t see you all the way up there! How’s the weather?

Enjoy. Merry Christmas all........

3 hours ago, MaineFlyFan said:

HaHa! Can't wait to see what you got up your sleeve for the "Feats of Strength"

(Hopefully youtube video links to a fight from EVER PERSON on the team?..... come on, I'm  sure Mase got tangled up in Juniors or something no??)

And now we move on to the Feats of Strength. Traditionally this means a challenger takes on the head of the household until he is wrestled to the floor and pinned. However, since nobody is crazy enough to ever take on Ron Hextall, we’ll consider Feats of Strength each player’s strong point.

• Pierre-Edouard Bellemare: You stepped up in place of Sean Couturier and did an admirable job during the ten-game win streak.
  • Nick Cousins: That motor never stops rolling, and you help create a lot of time in the other end with your tireless efforts.
  • Sean Couturier: Your return this week will be a Festivus Miracle!
  • Claude Giroux: 31 points in 36 games, including ten goals. Now that’s a strong effort.
  • Boyd Gordon: Strengths.. strengths.. strengths..
  • Travis Konecny: A lot tougher than his size would suggest, and he might actually give the head of household a run for his money.
  • Taylor Leier: Paying style matches the quintessential bottom-six forward in today’s NHL. Stick around awhile, eh?
  • Roman Lyubimov: He can forecheck for days, and will catch at least one more goalie by surprise with that Russian Rocket.
  • Michael Raffl: The perfect compliment to the chemistry of the top line will be missed over the next few games.
  • Matt Read: The Matt Read Redemption Tour has been on hiatus due to injury, but Read will always be one of the smartest on the ice.
  • Brayden Schenn: That power play mojo shown during the streak speaks to the importance of his game when he’s on.
  • Wayne Simmonds: Just when you think his game couldn’t get any stronger, he shows up this year improved in several areas.
  • Chris VandeVelde: A tough cookie. Probably a plain vanilla cookie, but a tough cookie.
  • Jake Voracek: Talk about a bounce-back season. What a stud so far this year.
  • Dale Weise: He’s got a big-frame that he uses for minor Feats of Strength, particularly on the forecheck.
  • Michael Del Zotto: He’s returned much closer to form and is a steady presence on the blueline once again.
  • Shayne Gostisbehere: The Ghost of Christmas Future is rounding out his game and becoming a more complete player.
  • Radko Gudas: Those hip checks are true Feats of Strength.
  • Andrew MacDonald: He makes Provorov look that much better..
  • Brandon Manning: Chirping skills are on point, particularly when it comes to certain “generational talents.”
  • Ivan Provorov: His strengths shine through in every facet of the game, including when the Flyers are shorthanded in overtime.
  • Nick Schultz: He’s probably a dope journalist by now at least, with how much time he’s spent in the press box this season.
  • Mark Streit: When healthy, Streit really helps the league-leading offensive production from the blueline.
  • Steve Mason: He’s been a complete stud for much of the last month between the two unadorned Festivus posts.
  • Michael Neuvirth: A stellar backup goaltender, when he can suit up. Get healthy soon!
  • Anthony Stolarz: His size and mobility help him perform saves of strength that a normal man couldn’t handle.

:toast:

On 12/22/2016 at 3:07 PM, AJgoal said:

Totally agree, the NHL.com's set up is not fan friendly. To much clicking to get to where you want to go. Let us serf the desired material uninhibited or watch us move to other sources!!

On 12/23/2016 at 0:50 PM, OccamsRazor said:

Happy Festivus, a holiday for the rest of us!

Welcome, newcomers. The age-old tradition of Festivus, as first celebrated by the Costanza family, begins with the airing of grievances. I got a lot of problems with you people, and now you’re gonna hear about it!

• Pierre-Edouard Bellemare: Pierre, what is up with your clean shaven look? You look like a child.
  • Nick Cousins: What are you: a center, a winger? Are you even any good? It’s about time you showed something.
  • Sean Couturier: Sean! Long time no see. Could you come back to the team? You’re doing nobody any good by resting.
  • Claude Giroux: You’re the best player on the team; act like it! The fans aren’t always wrong when they’re yelling “SHOOT!”
  • Boyd Gordon: Boyd, Boyd, Boyd. You score in your first game, the first goal of the year for the team! But then you disappear. At least win an important faceoff sometime.
  • Travis Konecny: Travis, I know you’re lost a bit playing without a good center, but could you put the puck in the back of the net?
  • Taylor Leier: Taylor, your last name is fitting because I want to leer at you every time your line gives up a goal!
  • Roman Lyubimov: Look, we all know shooting the puck is fun, but maybe take a look around before turning and firing that Russian rocket of yours.
  • Michael Raffl: Australian, Austrian, whatever. Could you get some more Finnish to your game?
  • Matt Read: Reader, you’re getting up there a bit but how about staying healthy? I don’t know how much I can watch these other third and fourth liners.
  • Brayden Schenn: Brayden, could you start producing outside of the power play? We need you hitting the back of the net, not slamming into the boards and falling onto the ice.
  • Wayne Simmonds: Wayne, I love your fire but you have too much of it sometimes; simmer down!
  • Chris VandeVelde: Oh Chris, I didn’t see you there! I thought you were just another guy.
  • Jake Voracek: Did you forget what a razor was?
  • Dale Weise: It’s incredible that you can’t score. What are we paying you for?
  • Michael Del Zotto: DJ MDZ? Not for me. Let’s worry about playing hockey and swiping pucks rather than playing EDM and swiping on Tinder.
  • Shayne Gostisbehere: Ghostbear! Where did all the goals go? Hell, even VandeVelde has more goals than you.
  • Radko Gudas: You’re a great defenseman, but get rid of this bad boy shtick. Is there a brain behind that big beard?
  • Andrew MacDonald: What are we paying you for? Stop dragging down your teammates!
  • Brandon Manning: Brandon, where did you go? Let’s get back to the way we were playing a few months ago.
  • Ivan Provorov: I know it might be different in Russia, but here you need to make sure the puck is in the net before celebrating!
  • Nick Schultz: Nick… I didn’t know you were still here!
  • Mark Streit: Oh Streiter, from your broken penis to your shoulder injury. You’re just falling apart.
  • Steve Mason: Mase Daddy! Could you get off to a hot start for once? And where’s all this confidence at when Neuvy is healthy?
  • Michael Neuvirth: You look like you’re from Whoville! Let’s get you back out on the ice.
  • Anthony Stolarz: Oh wow, I didn’t see you all the way up there! How’s the weather?

Enjoy. Merry Christmas all........

HA HA....that had me cracking up bro....classic Philly fan, find the negatives even when they are hard to come by!  Agree with Cousins, he better show some growth soon, or he will be passed and buried by this present day crew in the WJC. Same with you Mr.Laughton....put up or get out.

4 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Speaking of skid marks...

...one win in last 7 games my how they have fallen...

...who does Hak sit next???

Since the advent of the Overtime/Shootout loss, I have come to see those games as what ties used to be.  Technically they count as a loss, but in playoff terms, they're half a win.  So the Flyers have 4 points in 7 games which isn't pretty, but it's not as bad a 2 points in seven games... which is decidedly worse.  

They've got a stretch of very tough games coming up against opponents that are not going to be easy.  They have to be on point for a change.

The next two weeks could really put them in good positioning for the remainder of the season, or in a nasty nasty hole they might not be able to climb out of.  

Archived