Just how good are these Blue Jackets?

Buffalo Rick

Battle of the Win Streaks  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the Epic New Years Eve Game?

2. 2. 2 pts to the Winner by a...

• Win in Regulation
    • Win in 3 on 3 OT
    • Win in the Shootout

Nothing on Earth is going to stop Columbus from being a high seed in the playoffs.  Nothing.  They won their 14th in a row and I have to be honest, it was the one I thought would end their streak because they won in Winnipeg vs a team that has played very well of late.   But not as well as Columbus who is on a mission.  You have to consider them not only playoff bound, but they have t be seriously considered to take the Cup the way they are playing.  Who in the East can stop them right now?  The Rangers to me are the team that might give them the biggest problems because I think they match up well and have Lundquist.  And he can beat anyone on any night.  But Columbus, wow, what  job Torts is doing.  Its mind boggling.

20 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Nothing on Earth is going to stop Columbus from being a high seed in the playoffs.  Nothing.  They won their 14th in a row and I have to be honest, it was the one I thought would end their streak because they won in Winnipeg vs a team that has played very well of late.   But not as well as Columbus who is on a mission.  You have to consider them not only playoff bound, but they have t be seriously considered to take the Cup the way they are playing.  Who in the East can stop them right now?  The Rangers to me are the team that might give them the biggest problems because I think they match up well and have Lundquist.  And he can beat anyone on any night.  But Columbus, wow, what  job Torts is doing.  Its mind boggling.

I know one thing that can stop them....:sabres_color:

Anyway...they were one of the most underachieving teams in hockey last year, and had some injury problems. This year they're healthy, maybe playing a bit over their heads, but certainly more in tune to the talent they have. Imagine what they'd be like if they hadn't made that Carter trade.

Unsustaina-BOWL. Somebody has to lose. Will it be the Jackets or the Wild?

@Hockey Junkie

Living an hour north of Columbus and married to a rabid Jacket fan, I watch a ton of Jacket games, they are fun to watch, they play the game the right way using discipline when five on five, killing power plays and simply overwhelming other teams when on the PP themselves.

I knew they would be good, I considered them a lock for a playoff spot at the least before the season started but nobody alive could have predicted this.

Next up is the Wild, it is the first time in history that two teams are meeting who both have double digit winning streaks on the line. Gonna be glued to the game.

3 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

I know one thing that can stop them....:sabres_color:

Anyway...they were one of the most underachieving teams in hockey last year, and had some injury problems. This year they're healthy, maybe playing a bit over their heads, but certainly more in tune to the talent they have. Imagine what they'd be like if they hadn't made that Carter trade.

Unsustaina-BOWL. Somebody has to lose. Will it be the Jackets or the Wild?

Which Carter trade the one in which they gave the Flyers Voracek.Couts/Cousins or the one in which they gave him to the Kings for Jack Johnson?

Man they made some awful deals back then which set the team back five years, Brassard and Voracek were supposed to be the future, Rick Nash still had plenty of tread on the tires, Couturier was a draft pick who would have slotted nicely as their 3C. They went years with no talent and then they more or less gave it away.

No longer, the deal of Methot for Foligno was a signal the team was changing, adding Saad to the wing, Hartnell for the ghost of Umberger, Seth Jonesfrom Nashville, smart bargain pickuips suck as Karlsson from the Ducks and Gagner. These aint the same old CBJ. Oh and bob donated by someone too.

And a combo of good drafting mixed with luck, Wenberg becoming a solid 1C truthfully has been luck, he has exceeded expectations. Same with little Cam, who could have predicted him becoming a breakout star? Savard is just plain nasty on the back end, Werenski has future star written all over him. Josh Anderson is a future power forward, Boone Jenner has been lousy but is extremely skilled.

Love the mix. Love their future.

The one thing that stands out for me is the Jackets overwhelming speed....THEN, they use that speed to not play, but to attack....in all zones. This team has one of the best killer instincts I've ever seen, they can smell weakness and move in for the kill. It's better at home than on the road, but still very impressive. Look at their plus/minus stats, double digits up and down the line up....

The only thing that can stop this team will not happen this year....but it WILL happen eventually. That is, of course, the players gettting sick of Fonzie and tuning him out. I have seen this play out countless times, it's only a matter of time, but they might be good to go for a few years, who knows?

I think one of the big differences between Columbus and Minnesota is the skill level of Wenneberg. This guy is just on the cusp of ultra stardom, and with apologies to Praise, old man Stall or Granlund...they don't compare, not speed wise, not skill wise. I believe Wenneberg was one of the great picks of recent history. His speed, his elite vision....come on...be honest, he actually MADE Gagner fantasy worthy, a feat I would have NEVER, EVER predicted after his year on the Flyers. There was always a bit of talent in there with Gagner, but it took a wicked talent like Wenns to coach it out, give him confidence again.

Folgino will always score because he is playing with talent and he will out work whoever he is against. How quickly things change, a LOT of people thought Boone Jenner was on the cusp of something special, a young kid scoring 30 goals in this league will turn heads.

For me, it was drafting Wennberg AND Werenski. It's corny, but I've been calling them the Double W's for a few months now. Werenski is GREAT at puck dispersal, silky smooth in ALL zones, something rarely seen in young rookie d-men.

Forget his name, but this young Euro GM they hired, he's making everyone else look silly....except maybe Hexy and a few others.

51 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Which Carter trade the one in which they gave the Flyers Voracek.Couts/Cousins or the one in which they gave him to the Kings for Jack Johnson?

Man they made some awful deals back then which set the team back five years, Brassard and Voracek were supposed to be the future, Rick Nash still had plenty of tread on the tires, Couturier was a draft pick who would have slotted nicely as their 3C. They went years with no talent and then they more or less gave it away.

No longer, the deal of Methot for Foligno was a signal the team was changing, adding Saad to the wing, Hartnell for the ghost of Umberger, Seth Jonesfrom Nashville, smart bargain pickuips suck as Karlsson from the Ducks and Gagner. These aint the same old CBJ. Oh and bob donated by someone too.

And a combo of good drafting mixed with luck, Wenberg becoming a solid 1C truthfully has been luck, he has exceeded expectations. Same with little Cam, who could have predicted him becoming a breakout star? Savard is just plain nasty on the back end, Werenski has future star written all over him. Josh Anderson is a future power forward, Boone Jenner has been lousy but is extremely skilled.

Love the mix. Love their future.

The Philly trade that sent Carter, who sulked while he was there, for Voracek and Couturier. Imagine that team with Voracek on it?

Getting Johnson for carter was a meh deal...at least they got something. But they lost again on that one, as Carter is by far the better player. Though they couldn't have kept snivelling frosty tips in Oh-HI-oh.

Archived