Last chance ever to see Gretzky lace up skates?

jammer2

Ah, New Year's Eve...a busy day for most. Just a little reminder, Wayne Gretzky is playing in the Alumni Classic for the St.Louis Blues at 2pm today. Wayne has hinted about never lacing up the skates again, this may indeed be your last time to catch the living legend. I will be watching Team Canada of course, but switching back and forth. Just a little hint of the former greatness is all I'm tracking....hopefully he puts on a show, after all....Darren Pang *is* in net for the Black Hawks....lol.

edit, Darren Pang to face a line of Hull, Oates and Gretzky.....lol.

Wayne Gretzky...lacing up as a BLUES alumni???

Seriously?

Ok, ok...it's Gretzky, I get it...and the Blues would be crazy to not have him suit up for them in an attraction like this.

But out of all the NHL teams The Great One played for, the Blues are the LEAST he should be remembered for.

He was with them for the proverbial Cup of Coffee.

I looked it up, he was traded from the Kings (after playing 62 games for Los Angeles), and only played 18 games for the Blues.

Sure, technically, if a player even plays ONE game for a team, he is considered 'alumni', and again, I get why the Blues would want to associate themselves with him.

But he was on and about with the Rangers the following season quicker than St. Louis fans can say "We can't afford him".

Gretzky as a Rangers alumni? Sure. 3 seasons worth says why not.

Gretzky as a Kings alumni? Absolutely. 8 seasons.

Gretzky as an Oiler...well, duh, no brainer.

But Gretzky and his 18 games played as a Blue? Nahhhh.....but yea, it IS Gretzky and if I am St. Louis, I have him be the freakin SPOKESPERSON for the team if it helps rub any spotlight their way. :ahappy:

On 12/31/2016 at 2:14 PM, jammer2 said:

Ah, New Year's Eve...a busy day for most. Just a little reminder, Wayne Gretzky is playing in the Alumni Classic for the St.Louis Blues at 2pm today. Wayne has hinted about never lacing up the skates again, this may indeed be your last time to catch the living legend. I will be watching Team Canada of course, but switching back and forth. Just a little hint of the former greatness is all I'm tracking....hopefully he puts on a show, after all....Darren Pang *is* in net for the Black Hawks....lol.

edit, Darren Pang to face a line of Hull, Oates and Gretzky.....lol.

On 12/31/2016 at 2:42 PM, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Wayne Gretzky...lacing up as a BLUES alumni???

Seriously?

Ok, ok...it's Gretzky, I get it...and the Blues would be crazy to not have him suit up for them in an attraction like this.

But out of all the NHL teams The Great One played for, the Blues are the LEAST he should be remembered for.

He was with them for the proverbial Cup of Coffee.

I looked it up, he was traded from the Kings (after playing 62 games for Los Angeles), and only played 18 games for the Blues.

Sure, technically, if a player even plays ONE game for a team, he is considered 'alumni', and again, I get why the Blues would want to associate themselves with him.

But he was on and about with the Rangers the following season quicker than St. Louis fans can say "We can't afford him".

Gretzky as a Rangers alumni? Sure. 3 seasons worth says why not.

Gretzky as a Kings alumni? Absolutely. 8 seasons.

Gretzky as an Oiler...well, duh, no brainer.

But Gretzky and his 18 games played as a Blue? Nahhhh.....but yea, it IS Gretzky and if I am St. Louis, I have him be the freakin SPOKESPERSON for the team if it helps rub any spotlight their way. :ahappy:

I think it was more about paying homage to the Blues in their first ever outdoor game than "celebrating" his time with St.Louis..

Off topic a bit, but thought I would throw it in here....Blue's goalie Hutton is wearing a back depicting former Cards SS Ozzie Smith doing one of his patented backflips and a portrait of Cards legend Stan (the man) Musial. The Musial family thought it was so cool, they sent Hutton a autographed baseball.

http://m.mlb.com/cutfour/2017/01/02/212680790/blues-goalie-carter-hutton-gets-gift-from-musial-family

15 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

I think it was more about paying homage to the Blues in their first ever outdoor game than "celebrating" his time with St.Louis..

Yea, yea, I get it.

It's just, when I think of "alumni", I always think of people that really represented a team or organization through time spent and/or things achieved there....none of which applies to Gretzky and the Blues.

That'd be like Eric Lindros suiting up as a member of the Dallas Stars or Toronto Maple Leafs as an alumni....ya know? :lol:

5 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

none of which applies to Gretzky and the Blues.

And if i remember correctly the Kings got exactly do do for him.

A bunch of players and picks that turned into shat.....and he and Hull just never clicked...

Archived