Matt Nieto claimed off waivers by Avs. Tim Heed to make NHL debut

J0e Th0rnton

Nieto looked like a promising prospect his first year towards the end of the year as his blazing speed matched well with Marleau's on Couture's wing. In fact, Couture was often left in the dust by those two.

Since that season though, Nieto has failed to keep going.

Tim Heed has me excited. Was a highly coveted RHD Free agent who the ducks drafted then let go, only to see him become a highly skilled offensive Dman in Sweden. The sharks were quick to sign him.

So far in his first AHL season, Heed has 9 goals and 31 points in 28 games and is +7

Heed looks great at the AHL level but I have a very healthy skepticism of players his age who are just now making it to the NHL for a reason as a rule they do not ever amount to much. For every Cam Talbot or Tim Thomas who comes along at 26 or 27 and has a career there are one hundred Alex Stalock's who have a great year at best before remembering that they do not belong. Heed may be the exception but I am not holding my breath. 

As for Nieto I was kind of surprised to see him let go with Hertl being out until Mid February or so. Thought that would at least earn him 4th line duty but his skill set is more inclined for middle six. I guess on the bottom line they would rather play Haley and his grit.  

Archived