Laine Leveled by McCabe

hf101

Midway through the third period with the score tied 3-3, Sabres' defenseman Jake McCabe caught Patrik Laine with a huge open-ice hit.

Jets forward Mark Scheifele immediately took exception to the hit receiving the only penalty on the play.  Laine would be helped off the ice by trainers where he was visibly wobbly on his way to the dressing room.

The hit looks clean imo, hope Laine is ok.

Hope Laine is okay after that.   What a beauty of a standup hit by McCabe.  From the video above, seems like a clean hard hit with Laine having a lot of speed and hitting a brick wall.   Hope he just got the wind knocked out of him.

I don't see any contact to the head or anything wrong with the hit.

Spur of the moment, probably looked bad from where Scheifele was standing so I understand going after Mcc. But it looked clean.

Probably knocked his breath out tho.

GREAT HIT! Loved it, that is how the game should be played. So damn tired of the whole thing going now where you drill a guy with a hard but clean hit and someone from his team jumps you. It is freaking Hockey not baseball.

Hope Laine is okay but that was a beaut.

Hate to see anybody get hit that hard. I hope Laine is OK and that he learns from this one. Yah, the hit was legal but definitely not 'clean'. A little let up out of respect would have been in order from a class player, IMHO. No need to injure a guy, just wake him up.

9 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

Hate to see anybody get hit that hard. I hope Laine is OK and that he learns from this one. Yah, the hit was legal but definitely not 'clean'. A little let up out of respect would have been in order from a class player, IMHO. No need to injure a guy, just wake him up.

How was this  not clean? What else was he to do? The only way for him to "let up" any further would have been to not hit him, let him skate by and then have a seat on the  bench for not doing his job.  

He put on the breaks, stops on the K of Key Bank, takes him straight on standing up and has no forward movement towards Laine on this hit.   Imagine the hit if he would have turned and kept he momentum going into this hit and lowered his shoulder?

This was a great, clean, hockey hit.  The result was unfortunate. 

That hit is as clean as the day is long. McCabe has practically skated to a stop just before the hit. Never leaves his feet. No head contact. Keeps his arms tucked in.

Nothing to see here....

43 minutes ago, BluPuk said:

Geeeeze. Was that from the hit on Laine or the after party? ;)

I think that's from the hit.    Laine's helmet caught him there, surprised if there is not more damage.  

I got hit with the top of someone's head playing basketball many years ago around the same spot.  No broken skin damage, but I ended up having blood in the back of my throat, multi colored eye socket and with damage to my sinus on that side, and it ended up killing the nerve to one tooth which needed a root canal to fix.   Probably had a concussion from it too, maybe that explains a few things for my wife and kids. :eyeroll:

7 hours ago, nossagog said:

He put on the breaks, stops on the K of Key Bank, takes him straight on standing up and has no forward movement towards Laine on this hit

Yep.  The impact actually took him backward.  I actually think he did show a bit of respect.  A dirty hit and Laine is still on the ice there.  Maybe never wake up again.  

That was just a beautiful hockey hit.  I hope Laine is okay and comes back good as new because he's truly an exciting player to watch.   But that was just a gorgeous hockey hit.

I was watching this game live when the hit happened. Clean hit, but knew Laine was concussed before he hit the ice....lol. He's a big part of my fantasy team, and even it he was not, wish him a quick recovery. In a vain attempt to replace his offense and pp production, turned to Alexander Steen. Will not totally replace him, but might do in a pinch.

On 1/8/2017 at 8:14 AM, BluPuk said:

So, don't hit him because he's a big name?

Archived