tindel

Went to watch an NHL game the other day and noticed that on a breakout the center was 5 feet inside the opposing teams blueline.  Now I kinda figured that this is to open up the neutral zone and allow the offensive team a chance to breakout but I cant find any such drill or video to support the fact.  Do videos like this exsist on the internet.

I like the concept of the high guy but why does he stand so far up ice

thanks

I don't think I understand what you mean.  If he's 5 feet inside the opposing team's blueline, he's offside and the play will never happen.

So, I'm fairly sure I'm misinterpreting your description somewhere.  

Welcome aboard, by the way!

ok so as the d is in the defensive zone the center is way high inside the other teams blueline.  as the d is moving the puck up the ice thru the neutral zone the center obviously comes back onside

41 minutes ago, tindel said:

Went to watch an NHL game the other day and noticed that on a breakout the center was 5 feet inside the opposing teams blueline.  Now I kinda figured that this is to open up the neutral zone and allow the offensive team a chance to breakout but I cant find any such drill or video to support the fact.  Do videos like this exsist on the internet.

thanks

Welcome to the board!

Yes, you answered your own question.  You see that on just about every powerplay.

3 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Welcome to the board!

Yes, you answered your own question.  You see that on just about every powerplay.

You see them inside the opponent's blueline and coming back to get onside?  While the team is doing a breakout?

First of all, I wouldn't have used the term "breakout" on the power play.

Second, while it spreads the neutral zone, it also has the center coming back the wrong way.  Also, on the power play it's already spread.

I'm really not sure I've seen the standing 5 feet inside the opponent's zone while the defense has it for a breakout in their own zone.

1 hour ago, tindel said:

thanks

Like this? 

2 hours ago, hf101 said:

Like this? 

Not quite.  This is the closest thing I can find.  In the beginning of this video, the F3 would be in the offensive zone while the puck is still in the defensive zone.  He floats around to keep the opponent's Dmen back and it opens up the ice.  Once the puck starts moving up the ice, he comes out of the zone (onside) and joins the play.

6 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Not quite.  This is the closest thing I can find.  In the beginning of this video, the F3 would be in the offensive zone while the puck is still in the defensive zone.  He floats around to keep the opponent's Dmen back and it opens up the ice.  Once the puck starts moving up the ice, he comes out of the zone (onside) and joins the play.

Interesting.  What the hell do I know? 

9 hours ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

That's close but I think what's missing, for a play like that to really snap, is, you guessed it, a long snapper. 

3 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Interesting.  What the hell do I know? 

Pay attention, man!! :lol:

You don't usually see this part of the game on TV because the camera follows the puck.  By the time the puck makes it up the ice, the F3 is already out of the zone and onside.

32 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

You don't usually see this part of the game on TV because the camera follows the puck.  By the time the puck makes it up the ice, the F3 is already out of the zone and onside.

Lol, are you suggesting  @ruxpin doesn't know how cameras and TV work? Or has he just been watching Sean Couturier too long that he has no expectations that a player that far up the ice could ever get back toward his net in any reasonable time?

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Lol, are you suggesting  @ruxpin doesn't know how cameras and TV work? Or has he just been watching Sean Couturier too long that he has no expectations that a player that far up the ice could ever get back toward his net in any reasonable time?

Either would be accurate.

7 hours ago, Podein25 said:

I would never suggest that @Ruxpin doesn't know how TV works or that he has no expectations a player could get back onside in a reasonable amout of time!?!

Yes. To both.:NinjaLookLeftRight1:

Archived