Jump to content
You are a guest user Click to join the site

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

hobie

Toronto Marlies and all other Toronto Maple Leafs Prospect discussions

Recommended Posts

With Kasper on LTIR, it looks like Leipsic is TO's current healthy #1 prospect.

 

Quote

after two games with both 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.
 and 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.
 scratched (no explanation has been given), they made some other moves.

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

I sure would like to know why they were scratched, I had great hopes that these 2 would at some time make the Leafs.

Edited by pilldoc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, hobie said:

With Kasper on LTIR, it looks like Leipsic is TO's current healthy #1 prospect.

 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

I sure would like to know why they were scratched, I had great hopes that these 2 would at some time make the Leafs.

 

 

 At least the Leafs have the sense to put prospects in the top 6, they already know what Mihaleck and Greening can do. Leafs 2nd rounder Jeremy Bracco just got dealt to my hometown Spits. He's got good hands, thinks the game ok, but don't know if he can skate at the NHL level.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, jammer2 said:

 

 At least the Leafs have the sense to put prospects in the top 6, they already know what Mihaleck and Greening can do. Leafs 2nd rounder Jeremy Bracco just got dealt to my hometown Spits. He's got good hands, thinks the game ok, but don't know if he can skate at the NHL level.

 

I think Bracco is more an E-W type of skater rather than N-S, good on his edges but skating is one of the reasons he didn't go high in his draft year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hobie said:

 

I think Bracco is more an E-W type of skater rather than N-S, good on his edges but skating is one of the reasons he didn't go high in his draft year.

 

 

 He does pivot nicely, but yeah, you gotta have good north/south speed in the NHL, at least in the top 6. If Bracco does not play in the top 6, he is probably a career AHL guy, cause he's a classic tweener, don't see him fitting on the bottom at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2017 at 7:36 PM, jammer2 said:

 

 He does pivot nicely, but yeah, you gotta have good north/south speed in the NHL, at least in the top 6. If Bracco does not play in the top 6, he is probably a career AHL guy, cause he's a classic tweener, don't see him fitting on the bottom at all.

 

Babs, like RC, is into putting a line together based on the attributes of 2 players with the 3rd being a complementary but not necessarily identical type of player. An example of this might be the Kadri line with Kadri and Komarov being defensively responsible with Nylander who isn't that great defensively but sure helps make the line more effective outside of the d zone.

 

Bracco might end up being a tweener or a talent that's best used on perhaps the 3rd line as offensive depth. This would be a best case scenario as TO has a similar type of player on the Marlies in Griffiths.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, hobie said:

Babs, like RC, is into putting a line together based on the attributes of 2 players with the 3rd being a complementary but not necessarily identical type of player.

 

 

 Good point. A prime example of this was having Hyman playing with Matthews and Nylander earlier in the year.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see TO has 3 of the top 16 in the OHL scoring race:

 

Bracco at #8, 37gp-60pts

Piccinich at #14, 45gp-53pts

Korostelev at #16, 42gp-52pts 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, hobie said:

I see TO has 3 of the top 16 in the OHL scoring race:

 

Bracco at #8, 37gp-60pts

Piccinich at #14, 45gp-53pts

Korostelev at #16, 42gp-52pts 

 

 

 Unrelated, but that pic you used of Sittler, I have seen it before. There is a collectors plate identical to it. It was for sale for 100 bucks, sat there for years, think it sold last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Marlies have been on TSN lately, they've aired 3 games and plan on airing 6 more.

 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

Here's the schedule.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm liking what I'm seeing from Rosen and Borgman, Dermott as well.

 

I wouldn't mind TO starting the season with 2 of them rather than Hainsey and Marincin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liljegren was asked why he chose to play for the Marlies instead of returning to Sweden

 

Quote

“The risk of a year slipping away in Rögle with little playing time plus the chances of development that were in Marlies made the decision quite easy in the end.”

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

This was an interesting thought process for me because I have always assumed that the AHL is a superior league to anything in Sweden.

 

Then I think that since the A is essentially about development and developing players is their intent the A is a better place for him. Rogle is like the Leafs, all about winning now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

The sensible course for each NHL team is to build through the draft and have sound player development in the American Hockey League.

The top-two Canadian-based clubs this season, the Winnipeg Jets and Toronto Maple Leafs, are proof of this philosophy.

Not only are the Jets and Maple Leafs considered legitimate Stanley Cup challengers, their respective AHL affiliates also are Calder Cup contenders.

The Leafs' farm team, the Toronto Marlies, have the best record in the AHL at 40-16-2, and the Jets' AHL affiliate, the Manitoba Moose, sit third overall at 35-16-7.

But the longtime debate when it comes to NHL teams and its minor-league clubs is; Is it better to have a winner? Or, a team only concerned with development?

Well, why can't you have both?

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.

 

Bracco has played 35 games this year, missed 23, Liljegren has played 30 missed 28, some of these missed games might be due to injuries but some/most are also because they were benched. I see that Smith 58 games and Clune 34 games have played more than Bracco, while Marincin 38 games and LoVerde 47 games have played more than Liljegren.

The best way to win in the A is to play the NHL-AHL tweeners lots and spot the youth, benching the youth is as good for them as how Leivo is being played is good for him. Now that TO is paring the masses Bracco and Liljegren are being used more.

On the Marlies winning has been the priority over the years even at the detriment of development. However are players to be given a spot on the roster if they're not the best option? For me the A should be about grooming the promising youth, prioritizing their development even while risking team success. Keefe has a vested interest in his future and while his future might be somewhat tied to player development, how well the Marlies do will be how he's judged.

 

Dallas Eakins was considered to be the best coach outside of the NHL when he was coaching the Marlies,, his tenure wasn't resulting in graduated NHL players, it was all about the Marlies winning. He was eventually signed to coach the Oilers because of the Marlie success. If Keefe can nurture future Leafs I'm sure he'll be pleased but he's well aware what's necessary for his own future success and how he handling Bracco's and Liljegin's 1st year shows that his own success is job 1.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In The Hockey News's last edition called Future Watch prospects are evaluated and rated as are prospect pools of the various teams.

 

TO is ranked #1 as far as team pools are rated.

  TO's prospects are rated in order of possible success in the future

 1)Kapanen(26)

 2)Liljegren(33)

  3)Dermott(54)

  4)Grundstrom(99)

  5)Woll

  6)Johnsson

  7)Bracco

  8)Rasanen

  9)Timashov

  10)Nielsen

 

The bracketed numbers denotes the standing of those rated in the top 100 of all prospects from all 31 NHL teams.

 

I thought the Philly fans might be interested, their prospect pool was rated #2.

1) Hart(35)

2) Myers(40)

3) Frost(44)

4) Rubstov(45)

5) Morin

6) Sandstrom

7) Lindblom

8) Allison

9) Marody

10) Laczynski

 

How are the standings of prospects determined against prospects of all teams, opinion of THN's editors I guess.

 

The TO's pool of prospects ranked against each other is derived from the Leaf organization itself so people like Hunter provide that info.

 

I've noticed in the past that these lists provide the names of about 2 players of the 10 listed that actually go on and play in the NHL for 50 or more games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, hobie said:

In The Hockey News's last edition called Future Watch prospects are evaluated and rated as are prospect pools of the various teams.

 

TO is ranked #1 as far as team pools are rated.

  TO's prospects are rated in order of possible success in the future

 1)Kapanen(26)

 2)Liljegren(33)

  3)Dermott(54)

  4)Grundstrom(99)

  5)Woll

  6)Johnsson

  7)Bracco

  8)Rasanen

  9)Timashov

  10)Nielsen

 

The bracketed numbers denotes the standing of those rated in the top 100 of all prospects from all 31 NHL teams.

 

I thought the Philly fans might be interested, their prospect pool was rated #2.

1) Hart(35)

2) Myers(40)

3) Frost(44)

4) Rubstov(45)

5) Morin

6) Sandstrom

7) Lindblom

8) Allison

9) Marody

10) Laczynski

 

How are the standings of prospects determined against prospects of all teams, opinion of THN's editors I guess.

 

The TO's pool of prospects ranked against each other is derived from the Leaf organization itself so people like Hunter provide that info.

 

I've noticed in the past that these lists provide the names of about 2 players of the 10 listed that actually go on and play in the NHL for 50 or more games.

 

Me thinks THN ranks Leafs #1 to sell more mags. (Why would a PROSPECT magazine have THREE Leafs on the cover...NONE of whom are prospects?)

 

They have Kapanen as their #1, ranked 26th overall. To me he isn't even a prospect cause he's played 52 NHL games (10 points, as a winger). They don't even have Travis Sanheim ranked as a Flyer prospect, and he's played 45 NHL games (9 points, as a defenceman). And is a better prospect...or player. 

 

The Leafs top 4 are ranked with a total of 212 (26/33/54/99) but that includes Kapanen.  The Flyers top 4 ranks a total of 164 without Sanheim. I'm no mathematician or accountant but wouldn't the lower number mean better prospects? And that's with Kapanen and without Sanheim. And to me you can't count one without the other. And if you are, it should be Sanheim, not Kapanen.

 

Unless you're just trying to sell something.

Edited by flyercanuck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe they are trying to sell their mags, it would make sense. 

 

When TO was down THN had TO rated 27th to 29th year after year, pretty much for a decade so they probably didn't need to boost circulation then?

 

Don't know why Kappy is considered a prospect and Sanheim not. I'm certain you can think of reasons why, Sanheim who only played 18 A games this year and 45 NHL games while Kappy played 28 A games and 35 NHL games, like when the research was done. Right now it doesn't look like either is a prospect but maybe a month to a month and a half ago things looked different.

 

Nobody is ever happy with these rankings but really the publication is about circulation, being read, as are Web sites that make their prospect ratings.

 

Who is better of these 2, time will tell far more accurately than who does the rating but for the sake of argument I see that Sanheim is playing 4.5 less minutes per night than MacDonald.:dizzysmiley-1: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, hobie said:

Maybe they are trying to sell their mags, it would make sense. 

 

When TO was down THN had TO rated 27th to 29th year after year, pretty much for a decade so they probably didn't need to boost circulation then?

 

 

Sure they did...but for decades Toronto didn't really have many prospects that were intriguing. There was the odd one every few years, but I don't think it takes a genius to realize this is the best management the Leafs have had since the first lunar landing. The same goes for the cover...best young players Torontos had...ever! But they aren't prospects...and the magazine is. 

 

 

55 minutes ago, hobie said:

 

Don't know why Kappy is considered a prospect and Sanheim not. I'm certain you can think of reasons why, Sanheim who only played 18 A games this year and 45 NHL games while Kappy played 28 A games and 35 NHL games, like when the research was done. Right now it doesn't look like either is a prospect but maybe a month to a month and a half ago things looked different.

 

 So they draw the "prospect" line at 44 NHL games THIS year?   

 

55 minutes ago, hobie said:

 

Nobody is ever happy with these rankings but really the publication is about circulation, being read, as are Web sites that make their prospect ratings.

 

 I'm fine with Philly being #2. I'd be fine with Toronto being #1....I just don't see it when comparing "prospects". When they had Marner/Nylander etc...I agreed.

 

55 minutes ago, hobie said:

 

Who is better of these 2, time will tell far more accurately than who does the rating but for the sake of argument I see that Sanheim is playing 4.5 less minutes per night than MacDonald.:dizzysmiley-1: 

 

 They're both good prospects. They were drafted the same year. They've played close to the same NHL games. They have similar points.

 

 One plays a far tougher position.  

 

 NONE of us gets the McDud love. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In reference to this

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.
of the Flyers top 15 prospects written in Jan 2018, it looks to have a few major differences than the list by THN.  

Graduated to the NHL are Nolan Patrick, Robert Hagg, and Travis Sanheim.

 

1. Carter Hart

2. Morgan Frost

3. Philippe Meyers

4. Oskar Lindblom

5. Wade Allison

6. German Rubtsov

7. Mikhail Vorobyev

8. Sam Morin

9. Felix Sandstrom

10. Isaac Ratcliffe

11. Kirill Ustimenko

12. Tanner Laczynski

13. Maxim Sushko

14. Matthew Strome

15. Cooper Marody

 

Marody isn't a Flyers prospect anymore but I do agree on this list that Lindblom is at least worthy of a #4 rank over the #7 on the THN list.   The THN list s also missing Vorobyev and Ratcliffe.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, flyercanuck said:

 

 

Sure they did...but for decades Toronto didn't really have many prospects that were intriguing. There was the odd one every few years, but I don't think it takes a genius to realize this is the best management the Leafs have had since the first lunar landing. The same goes for the cover...best young players Torontos had...ever! But they aren't prospects...and the magazine is. 

 

 

 

 So they draw the "prospect" line at 44 NHL games THIS year?   

 

 

 I'm fine with Philly being #2. I'd be fine with Toronto being #1....I just don't see it when comparing "prospects". When they had Marner/Nylander etc...I agreed.

 

 

 They're both good prospects. They were drafted the same year. They've played close to the same NHL games. They have similar points.

 

 One plays a far tougher position.  

 

 NONE of us gets the McDud love. 

 

TO considered the NHL it's farm team so cultivating players wasn't their thing but unfortunately the owners didn't have bottomless pockets like the current owners. TO has had management groups with one directive, win, but at the same time the different ownerships weren't prepared to put their money were their mouth was. TO could've traded for Gretzky, I believe a deal was in place but ownership didn't want to pay Gretzky.

 

Ballard alienated Boschman, McDonald, Sittler and probably more and Ballard wasn't someone even Lou could muzzle.

 

To assume that TO's management was the problem is really showing a lack of understanding of TO's dynamics for about 50 years. JFJ approached ownership asking them to allow him to rebuild, ownership said no, do everything in your power to make the playoffs. That decision cost TO Rask.

 

The NHL cuts off rookie eligibility at 25 games I believe and maybe THN does the same for prospect status so unless you think THN put the publication together days before it was released it very possible that they considered Sanheim a bonafide NHLer due to his 10 more games than Kappy played in the NHL.

 

I'm as underwhelmed by Philly's prospects as you are with TO's and there you go.

 

I believe that TO's prospects rating by THN when TO had Marner and Nylander was in the top 10 and only moved to #1 after TO drafted Matthews.

 

I don't think either TO or Philly should be in the top 2 at this time, Arizona(Strome, Merkely, Crouse, MacInnis), Buffalo(Mittlestadt, Nylander) are more worthy but I think Van. has the best total pool of prospects with Pettersson, Joelevi and Demko being the headliners.  What about LV's prospects Glass, Brannstrom, Suzuki and Hague, I think both TO and Philly would gladly give up their top 10s for these 4.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hf101 said:

In reference to this

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.
of the Flyers top 15 prospects written in Jan 2018, it looks to have a few major differences than the list by THN.  

Graduated to the NHL are Nolan Patrick, Robert Hagg, and Travis Sanheim.

 

1. Carter Hart

2. Morgan Frost

3. Philippe Meyers

4. Oskar Lindblom

5. Wade Allison

6. German Rubtsov

7. Mikhail Vorobyev

8. Sam Morin

9. Felix Sandstrom

10. Isaac Ratcliffe

11. Kirill Ustimenko

12. Tanner Laczynski

13. Maxim Sushko

14. Matthew Strome

15. Cooper Marody

 

Marody isn't a Flyers prospect anymore but I do agree on this list that Lindblom is at least worthy of a #4 rank over the #7 on the THN list.   The THN list s also missing Vorobyev and Ratcliffe.

 

 

My understanding of THN's research is the prospect rating is derived from the team's themselves. Now all kinds of things might be going on that we aren't privy to like using this published list as a motivational tool for say Ratcliffe because Philly might think he's not being all he can be, who knows. This getting the list from the horse's mouth has been THN's MO for years so HF, where did you dig up this list and how was it derived?

Edited by hobie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hobie said:

This getting the list from the horse's mouth has been THN's MO for years so HF, where did you dig up this list and how was it derived?

 

16 hours ago, hf101 said:

In reference to this

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.
of the Flyers top 15 prospects written in Jan 2018

 

The word "list" is highlighted and is a direct link to the article.  Maybe my choice of color of dk red on the site for all links and hyperliinks isn't that obvious.  They are created in this editor box by highlighting the text you wish to hyperlink and then click on the "link" icon - 2nd row, 2nd icon. 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.
for the flyers prospect blog, it's a decent read.

 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.
 also does a decent job on all NHL prospects and also has Ratcliffe at #10 for the Flyers.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hobie said:

 

TO considered the NHL it's farm team so cultivating players wasn't their thing but unfortunately the owners didn't have bottomless pockets like the current owners. TO has had management groups with one directive, win, but at the same time the different ownerships weren't prepared to put their money were their mouth was. TO could've traded for Gretzky, I believe a deal was in place but ownership didn't want to pay Gretzky.

 

Ballard alienated Boschman, McDonald, Sittler and probably more and Ballard wasn't someone even Lou could muzzle.

 

 I live in Barrie...I know the entire history, been to the Gardens plenty of times. Ballard was a terrible owner. Orr was basically Leaf property back in the day (geographics)...they didn't "need" him. LMAO! 

 

8 hours ago, hobie said:

 

To assume that TO's management was the problem is really showing a lack of understanding of TO's dynamics for about 50 years. JFJ approached ownership asking them to allow him to rebuild, ownership said no, do everything in your power to make the playoffs. That decision cost TO Rask.

 

 The Leafs had Pogge and Rask at the time. JFJ chose Pogge as the future of the Leafs. Not a great move. Loved his Toskala trade too. I think he's got a good eye for talent but he's not GM material. How about when Stellick drafted 3 from the Bulls in the 1st round? What idiot does that? The Kurvers for Niedermeyer debacle? One of the greatest franchises in the black and white TV era hasn't even BEEN in the final since then. That takes some ineptitude. I mean Buffalo has been there. Twice!  Vancouver. Twice! The Leafs have been there as many times as the Golden Knights since expansion.

 

 Go look through the drafts since 67 and don't include the current management. The Leafs have to be near the bottom...they were just terrible. Clark doesn't count, he was 1st overall 

 

8 hours ago, hobie said:

 

The NHL cuts off rookie eligibility at 25 games I believe and maybe THN does the same for prospect status so unless you think THN put the publication together days before it was released it very possible that they considered Sanheim a bonafide NHLer due to his 10 more games than Kappy played in the NHL.

 

 Fair enough.

 

 I'm judging them from an eye test with both players coming from the same draft with similar points and games in the NHL. I have nothing against Kapanen, his father was a well respected Flyer. I'll just take the 6'3" defenceman who's one of the best skaters you'll ever see for a man that size and plays the tougher position.

 

 

8 hours ago, hobie said:

 

I'm as underwhelmed by Philly's prospects as you are with TO's and there you go.

 

 Fair enough the sequel. But I doubt there's a team in the league who gets over-hyped more than the Leafs. You know that, I know that. 

 

8 hours ago, hobie said:

 

I believe that TO's prospects rating by THN when TO had Marner and Nylander was in the top 10 and only moved to #1 after TO drafted Matthews.

 

 OK, not sure why I didn't include Mathews but clearly meant to. Having Marner/Mathews/Nylander is a lot more formidable than Kapanen/Lilegren/Dermott. It's not even in the same stratosphere.

 

 

8 hours ago, hobie said:

 

I don't think either TO or Philly should be in the top 2 at this time, Arizona(Strome, Merkely, Crouse, MacInnis), Buffalo(Mittlestadt, Nylander) are more worthy but I think Van. has the best total pool of prospects with Pettersson, Joelevi and Demko being the headliners.  What about LV's prospects Glass, Brannstrom, Suzuki and Hague, I think both TO and Philly would gladly give up their top 10s for these 4

 

 

 

 

 

 One thing Philly has over those teams is depth and quality at every position. Almost every one of those guys is a forward. You still need D and goaltending.

 

 Hart is a legit #1 goalie prospect and as good as there is anywhere. WHL goalie for 3rd year in a row (never been done) and a shoo-in for his 2nd CHL Goalie of the year (he lost it to a guy with inferior stats last year) WJ Gold winner.   Sandstrom isn't far behind . He beat out Hart for WJ goalie last year. Stolarz looks like he can play in the NHL. Maybe Lyon too (as backups). Ustimenko has great numbers in Russia Thats FIVE!.

 

 Sanheim gets cutoff by a game or three. OK. Myers is every bit as good of a prospect.6'5" who can skate and plays a solid 2 way game. Morin is a 6'7" 235 lb beast who can skate and has a cannon from the point. Friedman and Hogberg both have potential.

 

 Philly probably has close to 10 forwards who will play in the NHL. Frost tied for top OHL scorer as an 18 year old. Ratcliffe (6'6" winger who can skate...not even mentioned by THN) scored over 40 on one of the worst teams in junior and was named team MVP. Strome is a Strome. Great skills, can't skate. Lindblom got the callup and is a player. Wade Allison looks like the second coming of Wayne Simmonds. Aube-Kubel looks like he should be ready for next season. Rubtsov and Laberge in the Q. Lazynsky. Sushko. Bunnamen. Twarynski. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hf101 said:

 

 

The word "list" is highlighted and is a direct link to the article.  Maybe my choice of color of dk red on the site for all links and hyperliinks isn't that obvious.  They are created in this editor box by highlighting the text you wish to hyperlink and then click on the "link" icon - 2nd row, 2nd icon. 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.
for the flyers prospect blog, it's a decent read.

 

Hidden Content

    Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.
 also does a decent job on all NHL prospects and also has Ratcliffe at #10 for the Flyers.

 

 

 

OK but the question still remains, what qualifies these people to make the lists?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flyercanuck,  I've been a THN reader for a long time and generally the top 10 listing of team's prospects produces 2 actual NHL players. The longer a player remains on the list the less likely that player is to become an NHLer.

 

The best graduation I've seen from a top 10 list is 5 I believe and that was from TB with Kucherov, Palat, etc. Kucherov was actually rated number 7 in the lone time he was acknowledged in the THN's prospect edition.

 

When TO drafted Biggs, a good skater for a big man, tough, sound positionally and with offensive upside so he was the next coming of Lucic, where's he now. TO even traded to move up in that draft to nab him and the scouting dept that had endorsed him had picked 6 players from 1 draft, out of 7, that would have NHL careers. He was 6'3". TO drafted another big man who was decent in junior fast for his size, a defensive savant and he was chosen because he was a safe pick, a guaranteed future NHLer, I doubt the Goat will ever make the NHL and if he does 4th line center at best. He was 6'5" when drafted.

 

I don't like it when TO drafts tall players because even tho you hear they're fast for their size they're still not fast. How many quality NHLers do you know of that are 6'4" or taller and fast, I prefer a fast team, not a big tough one.

 

Quality NHLers don't percolate in the A for years for the sake of development or remain in junior and then play in the A, fringe ones do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hobie said:

Flyercanuck,  I've been a THN reader for a long time and generally the top 10 listing of team's prospects produces 2 actual NHL players. The longer a player remains on the list the less likely that player is to become an NHLer.

 

The best graduation I've seen from a top 10 list is 5 I believe and that was from TB with Kucherov, Palat, etc. Kucherov was actually rated number 7 in the lone time he was acknowledged in the THN's prospect edition.

 

 Absolutely. That's why it's good to have many prospects at every position. I don't expect Hart, Sandstrom, Stolarz, Lyon and Ustimenko to all become great NHL goalies. But having all of them gives you a good shot at developing a starter. 

 

1 hour ago, hobie said:

 

When TO drafted Biggs, a good skater for a big man, tough, sound positionally and with offensive upside so he was the next coming of Lucic, where's he now. TO even traded to move up in that draft to nab him and the scouting dept that had endorsed him had picked 6 players from 1 draft, out of 7, that would have NHL careers. He was 6'3". TO drafted another big man who was decent in junior fast for his size, a defensive savant and he was chosen because he was a safe pick, a guaranteed future NHLer, I doubt the Goat will ever make the NHL and if he does 4th line center at best. He was 6'5" when drafted.

 

 Biggs was drafted by Burke. His criteria for players as the Leaf gm was

1. American

2. Truculence.

3. Skill. 

Not a smart way to build a team. It's like Montreal and Francophones.

Biggs stat lines were never impressive.

 

 I thought the knock on Gauthier was always his skating and scoring ability. 

 

1 hour ago, hobie said:

 

I don't like it when TO drafts tall players because even tho you hear they're fast for their size they're still not fast. How many quality NHLers do you know of that are 6'4" or taller and fast, I prefer a fast team, not a big tough one.

 

Quality NHLers don't percolate in the A for years for the sake of development or remain in junior and then play in the A, fringe ones do.

 

 I agree for the most part. Morin is a "good skater for his size". Skating isn't Morins forte' though. He's a big mean SOB with a giant wingspan. Any points he brings would be a bonus. Sanheim and Myers are both very good skaters. Nothing to do with their size.

 

 Ratcliffe is a goal scorer...that's why he was drafted. But he also is 6'6" and can skate. Philly had already drafted Patrick and Frost...nothing wrong with swinging for the fences on a guy like Ratcliffe with a 2nd rounder. 

 

 Quality NHL forwards generally aren't in the A for years...defencemen and goalies are a different story. And Hextall is far more patient with his prospects than most gms. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have actually looked up THN's prospect ratings from 2016, TO was rated #6 with both Marner and Nylander in the list.

 

Matthews was never considered a prospect as he went from the draft to the NHL.

 

Last year TO was ranked #3 with Kappy being TO's top prospect, Dermott was ranked as TO's 8th best and Johnsson wasn't even rated.

 

Philly was ranked #9 in '16 and #6 in '17.

 

Even the management of the teams have difficulty getting an accurate read of their own prospect's potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 1
      Post
      Good point. A prime example of this was having Hyman playing with Matthews and Nylander earlier in the year.

Game Room 1

    You don't have permission to chat.
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...