Game Days Thread

hobie

I think we should have a thread devoted to the games.

TO plays Ott. tonite, TO is 2 pts behind Ott. and they've played the same number of games, TO is also 2 pts. behind Bos. but has 6 games in hand which is only relevant if TO can exploit this advantage. TO will need to play at the pace Babs has stated he wants/expects in order to make the playoffs which is 6 pts. from every 5 game segment. Most of us are only looking up in the standings but it should be noted that in TO's division TO is only 5 pts. ahead of the last place team but again with games in hand..

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, hobie said:

I think we should have a thread devoted to the games.

TO plays Ott. tonite, TO is 2 pts behind Ott. and they've played the same number of games, TO is also 2 pts. behind Bos. but has 6 games in hand which is only relevant if TO can exploit this advantage. TO will need to play at the pace Babs has stated he wants/expects in order to make the playoffs which is 6 pts. from every 5 game segment. Most of us are only looking up in the standings but it should be noted that in TO's division TO is only 5 pts. ahead of the last place team but again with games in hand..

Good idea. Are we talking one thread for all games or a new thread for every game?  I'm guessing one thread would suffice, at least until we have a dozen or so regular posters in the Leafs forum. :)

There's no team in the Atlantic division (other than Montreal) that should intimidate the Leafs in any way. Boston has plenty of flaws, and they're a tired old group. I picked the Sens and Red Wings to miss the playoffs. The Panthers are a middle of the pack team. The Lightning have injury problems. Buffalo is still very much a rebuilding team and not a serious threat to anyone. It's wide open in terms of 2,3 in the Atlantic division.

2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

There's no team in the Atlantic division (other than Montreal) that should intimidate the Leafs in any way. Boston has plenty of flaws, and they're a tired old group. I picked the Sens and Red Wings to miss the playoffs. The Panthers are a middle of the pack team. The Lightning have injury problems. Buffalo is still very much a rebuilding team and not a serious threat to anyone. It's wide open in terms of 2,3 in the Atlantic division.

While I agree the Atlantic is 'wide open', you as a Leafs fan, using the word "intimidate" to describe what the Canadiens might be to the Leafs is horrible. Shame on you!

The Habs may very well win this once proud but now rag tag division, "intimidating" is hardly a word I would use to describe them.

Right now, they are the best of the weakest division and while Carey Price remains ONE of the best (notice I said ONE, not THE best) goalies in the league, he has shown to be quite mortal and the rest of the Habs team, with the exception of a player here or there, are nothing special.

The rebuilding and seemingly up n coming Leafs should fear nothing from ANYONE in the league, less so from their own division.

I'm used to 18 wheelers, usually in Feb. and pretty well every year TO either drops out or is already out of any playoff contention. I don't think it has been due to intimidation more from implosion.

33 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

While I agree the Atlantic is 'wide open', you as a Leafs fan, using the word "intimidate" to describe what the Canadiens might be to the Leafs is horrible. Shame on you!

:lookssad:

34 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

The Habs may very well win this once proud but now rag tag division, "intimidating" is hardly a word I would use to describe them.

True, but everyone used to intimidate the Leafs. (I meant more in terms of skill than physically of course.)  :bigteeth:

30 minutes ago, hobie said:

I'm used to 18 wheelers, usually in Feb. and pretty well every year TO either drops out or is already out of any playoff contention. I don't think it has been due to intimidation more from implosion.

I posted a video on here in the Leafs forum one time on that very subject. You really should check it out. (Spoiler: It's a video of a big rig falling off a cliff.) ;)

1 hour ago, Podein25 said:

Good idea. Nice to see more Leafs fans here.

I see TO and Philly are now tied for the last wild card spot?

I'm disappointed in the results Philly is getting from what looks like a fine group of players.

36 minutes ago, hobie said:

I see TO and Philly are now tied for the last wild card spot?

I'm disappointed in the results Philly is getting from what looks like a fine group of players.

Yeah worst 5-on-5 which suggests a compete problem, but could be the room is not listening to their young coach. Flyer fans can forgive some things but not failing to show up.

I was watching Marincin throughout the game and I thought he was playing awesome then he throws the puck over the boards, crap.I was coming to the conclusion that TO wasn't missing Rielly as Marincin appears to be as capable defensively and a decent 1st passer.

Good game for TO, 

TO plays Calgary tonite both teams have 51 points but TO's 51 came in 5 less games. Calgary's record over the last 10 games is 4-5-1 while TO's is 6-2-2. Calgary's biggest problem this year has been in goal and they have lost their last 2 games, Edmonton scored 7 goals against them on Sat. TO has lost it's last 2 games and Feb. has traditionally been TO's nemesis month, only 8 days away.

They're ripe for the picking, will TO accept the challenge? 

4 hours ago, hobie said:

TO plays Calgary tonite both teams have 51 points but TO's 51 came in 5 less games. Calgary's record over the last 10 games is 4-5-1 while TO's is 6-2-2. Calgary's biggest problem this year has been in goal and they have lost their last 2 games, Edmonton scored 7 goals against them on Sat. TO has lost it's last 2 games and Feb. has traditionally been TO's nemesis month, only 8 days away.

They're ripe for the picking, will TO accept the challenge? 

Flames are coming off an embarrassing loss too. It's going to be tough sledding here...   :(

On 1/21/2017 at 9:34 PM, WordsOfWisdom said:

I'm not. I think other teams need to experience some disappointment for a change!  :biggrin:

Disappointment?!

Try soul-crushing heartache! Do any of these names ring a bell?

Leon Stickle

Pelle Lindbergh

Michael Leighton's Five Hole

?

Good game for TO and I'm noticing TO is not missing Rielly in a big way. I prefer that TO's d be mobile but I've mostly been reasonably impressed with Marincin. I don't see a whole lot of difference between Marincin and Rielly even tho Rielly is a far faster skater. I wonder if Rielly is being over coached, too much emphasis being put on d? 

Altho far from a done deal TO is now in the playoffs, 1 point in front of both Boston and Philly.

It's hard to separate whether TO deserved the win or did they beat a whipped mule, what I liked is TO kept bringing the game TO Calgary rather trying to defend their way to success, that's growth.  

2 hours ago, Podein25 said:

Disappointment?!

Try soul-crushing heartache! Do any of these names ring a bell?

Leon Stickle

Pelle Lindbergh

Michael Leighton's Five Hole

?

I was going to write a list for soul-crushing Leafs heartaches but I didn't want to break the internet. Here's some flowers to cheer you up.  :flowers:

Another really great game for the Leafs, Andersen was perfect. TO was flattered by the outcome as the shots were 24 for TO and 22 for Detroit. Andersen was the difference.

I love the way the top 3 lines are playing and the d mostly seems to be doing fine. It's going to interesting to see who is going to be benched when Rielly returns, my guess Carrick.

TO's definite weak link, the 4th line, this line spends pretty well all of it's icetime in the d zone and that's against any and all lines they play against. 

8 hours ago, hobie said:

Another really great game for the Leafs, Andersen was perfect. TO was flattered by the outcome as the shots were 24 for TO and 22 for Detroit. Andersen was the difference.

I love the way the top 3 lines are playing and the d mostly seems to be doing fine. It's going to interesting to see who is going to be benched when Rielly returns, my guess Carrick.

TO's definite weak link, the 4th line, this line spends pretty well all of it's icetime in the d zone and that's against any and all lines they play against. 

Tonight's game against the Flyers should be must see TV. Although the Leafs have been a laughing stock for much of this last decade, they have got a lot of young talent and seem to have turned the corner after what to Leafs fans must have felt like was a century.

1 hour ago, flyerrod said:

Tonight's game against the Flyers should be must see TV. Although the Leafs have been a laughing stock for much of this last decade, they have got a lot of young talent and seem to have turned the corner after what to Leafs fans must have felt like was a century.

Half a century, anyway.:bonkingheadonwall:

9 hours ago, flyerrod said:

Usually lots of goals during Leafs-Flyers games. :)

7 hours ago, hobie said:

Half a century, anyway.:bonkingheadonwall:

The thing that really gets me is just how deep the hole is that the Leafs have dug over that time. Coming back and winning one Stanley Cup doesn't do it. This is a team that needs to be in the playoffs for the next quarter century (perhaps challenge the streaks of the Red Wings, Bruins, Habs, etc.) with 100+ point seasons every year, division titles every year, and winning at least 4 Stanley Cups over that time span...  just to bring things back up to an even keel again. 

7 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

The thing that really gets me is just how deep the hole is that the Leafs have dug over that time. Coming back and winning one Stanley Cup doesn't do it. This is a team that needs to be in the playoffs for the next quarter century (perhaps challenge the streaks of the Red Wings, Bruins, Habs, etc.) with 100+ point seasons every year, division titles every year, and winning at least 4 Stanley Cups over that time span...  just to bring things back up to an even keel again. 

We've had good teams even great teams and for me that's not enough, if you win a Cup your team should be superior for years so I think they go hand in hand. In a cap world being mediocre for years is very possible but being great for years is very difficult if not impossible.

The boys have not learned yet that certain teams (almost any good ones) will raise their game in the second half of the season. If they can't learn that they will not get a sniff of a play-off spot. And they need to learn the art of winning the important games against your own division. I know two points are two points, but they need to make a statement against divisional rivals.

Next game against Dallas in Dallas. 

Dallas is 50 points in 50 games while TO is 55 pts in 47 games. TO's GF and GA is superior to Dallas so they might be ripe for the picking.

When we compare the Metro division against the Atlantic, it is easy to see how many view the Atlantic as sad sack however when compared against the other divisions in the NHL the Atlantic seems competitive. For years we have viewed the West as superior to the East but I don't think this is as evident, now.

Anyway, no team is coming off of a back to back, no team should be tired, so we should be in store for a good game.

Go Leafs GO!!! 

Archived