Nikita Nesterov dealt to the Habs

yave1964

A bit of a head scratcher out of Tampa last night, Nikita Nesterov was dealt by the Bolts to division rival Montreal for a sixth round choice and Jonathan Racine.

I have been impressed by Nesterov since he hit the league, he absolutely OWNS my Wings, scoring as if he were Hedman, knocking Helm out with a nasty hit that put him out for two months, maybe my sample size is small but he always brings it against the Wings to the point where I have wondered how he is  not getting more ice time. He hits, he is responsible and can move the puck and throws a hell of a hip check.

Jonathan Racine is a borderline at best prospect now with his third organization in five months having gone scoreless in the AHL but showing himself to be a responsible defender but takes too many dumb penalties. The sixth round pick also sent to Tampa is in this years draft.

Not saying that Nesterov is Bobby Orr but he is an NHL caliber player and the return seems to put it mildly rather paltry. Not sure why the Bolts tired of him, they are a bit thin on the back end now, rookie Jakle Dotchin seems in line to stay in the NHL and take the place of Nesterov.

I came across a couple of interesting comments on this trade as I agree @yave1964 it does appear to be a rather odd transaction.   But the Lightning had 8 dmen on their roster of which the bottom few, Sustr, Nesterov, and Witkowski are all waiver eligible and thinking long term they did not want to lose any of them to waivers for nothing.   Possibly both Nesterov and Sustr were not going to be signed and they chose to retain Sustr mainly for his coveted size.  Add the upcoming expansion draft to the fold and maybe this trade makes a little more sense with the Lightning figuring they are not a playoff contender this season.

Archived