Who will be sellers at the deadline?

yave1964

That losers point, Hockey's equivalent of a participation trophy has things all skewed in the standings, rotten teams like the Wings and the Canucks can justify holding pat until close to the deadline because they are only a handful of points out of a playoff spot and they wish to make certain that they don't sell too early. So who are the likely sellers? Here is my list...

COYOTES A certainty, the team is always in rebuild mode and this year is no exception.

LIST OF PLAYERS: Vrbata will help middle six scoring for someone, Hanzal has needed a chance as a middle six center somewhere and Doan is rumored to want to play for a Stanley Cup just once. Also Stone of defense is rugged and underrated.

AVALANCHE: In desperate need of almost everything.

LIST OF PLAYERS Duchene would net the most, a top four young defender being the biggest priority.  Landeskog has slipped badly but is young and coveted although his contract is a hindrance.

RED WINGS Out of it and playing like they know it.

LIST OF PLAYERS  Vanek is a nice piece for a contender to add having rediscovered his passion, Brendan Smith is a low risk defender. Jimmy Howard if a team is desperate in net.

SABRES Improving, it hurt missing Eichel for so much of the season, building for next year.

LIST OF PLAYERS It comes down to moving Evander Kane and the Kings are interested in Kane to replace the departed Lucic.

PANTHERS Wow what a fall from the top of the division in one year. Injujuries and lack of depth ruined the season.

LIST OF PLAYERS: Reilly Smith and Jokinen are nice depth forwards. Have read nothing but does Jagr want a shot at one more cup run?

DEVILS Still need a back end puck mover.

LIST OF PLAYERS: Parenteau will be on the move again, and Cammalleri might if a team can handle his contract.

HURRICANES: Once again not quite good enough to get there.

LIST OF PLAYERS: Eddie Lack now healthy and could be a cheap goalie add, Stempniak continues his quest to play for every NHL team. Hainsey is a smart veteran defender who might be squeezed out by the depth of kids coming on the back end.

ISLANDERS Although since removing Halak and a coaching change they are coming hard.

LIST OF PLAYERS: Grabovski is a versatile forward, Greiss has been red hot in net and is an UFA that might draw interest if the Isles write off the season. Leddy's name has been popping up a bit more.

CANUCKS Still think they have a chance as they have played over their head.

LIST OF PLAYERS Miller might be dealt although he bombed as a rental before, nobody else will draw interest.

FLAMES: Like the Canucks still hanging around.

LIST OF PLAYERS If they decide to jump out, both Brouwer and Frolik might draw tremendous interest, if they want to go crazy, Hamilton would start a near epic bidding war as the best player available at the deadline.

So a few more teams than I thought, a few others such as the Bruins and the Stars and possibly the Kings and Predators might be forced to make hard decisions between now and then as well.

The problem is that there is not a lot of huge names available, a lot of KMart shopping, bottom of the bin players will be available. Of course someone will get aggressive and do a weird deal because of the expansion looming, the Pens may trade Fleury, the Bolts may move Bishop although it makes more sense for both to wait until the offseason.

3 hours ago, yave1964 said:

CANUCKS Still think they have a chance as they have played over their head.

LIST OF PLAYERS Miller might be dealt although he bombed as a rental before, nobody else will draw interest.

What about the possibility that the Canucks move the Sedin twins and start over with a full rebuild?  :IDunnoSmiley:

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Pretty sure you can include the Flyers...Streit/MDZ/Schultz should all bring some draft picks back and aren't in next years plans I'd hope.

The Flyers are still very much alive, and while I can see moving Streit or MDZ I believe it will be after the season because during the postseason injuries happen and depth can carry a team to a series. Schultz has no value, although some desperate team for defense might add him, I just hope it is not my Wings,lol.

10 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

What about the possibility that the Canucks move the Sedin twins and start over with a full rebuild?  :IDunnoSmiley:

That has been rumbling for years, at first Canuck fans acted as if you were talking of burning a bible on the Statehouse steps or something but it has been growing of late.

The problem is the Canucks are convinced that they can rebuild on the fly with the rebuild including a few years from the sisters still in tow. I would be surprised if it were to happen, Stranger things have happened, but I don't see it. There value is not anywhere near what it was and unless Brian Burke takes over a franchise and overpays to reunite with them in a love fest I believe they will remain forever in Vancouver.

4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

That has been rumbling for years, at first Canuck fans acted as if you were talking of burning a bible on the Statehouse steps or something but it has been growing of late.

I think the writing is on the wall. The Canucks cannot go forward with the Sedins. That ship has sailed. 

4 hours ago, yave1964 said:

The problem is the Canucks are convinced that they can rebuild on the fly with the rebuild including a few years from the sisters still in tow. I would be surprised if it were to happen, Stranger things have happened, but I don't see it. There value is not anywhere near what it was and unless Brian Burke takes over a franchise and overpays to reunite with them in a love fest I believe they will remain forever in Vancouver.

Brian Burke: The cure for everything that ails a hockey team looking to unload dead-weight players to some sucker. ;)

7 hours ago, yave1964 said:

The Flyers are still very much alive, and while I can see moving Streit or MDZ I believe it will be after the season because during the postseason injuries happen and depth can carry a team to a series. Schultz has no value, although some desperate team for defense might add him, I just hope it is not my Wings,lol.

After the season they are FAs. Their value is at the deadline as depth Dmen.

On 1/30/2017 at 10:18 AM, yave1964 said:

The Flyers are hanging on by the skin of their teeth and honestly, unless the goaltending does a 180, then they won't make the playoffs. As for players available, not only do I see Streit, Schultz, and MDZ being on the move, but I see one of the goaltenders and depth forwards like Vandevelde and Bellemare being available. On top of it, if Hextall really wants to shake things up, it wouldn't surprise me if Schenn's name comes up.

Yave, if the Flyers are alive it's because of the life support system. The worst thing that could happen to them is making the playoffs. 

And to you Words of wisdom, Brian Burke is a dick. His only Cup win was a parasite move. Bryan Murray built the Ducks.

Here's some more good news. #30 in cap space as of today, and nobody on the players most likely to move at the deadline. I know these lists are speculative, but it shows the lack of content on this team right now.

For the Devils, it could get tricky trying to trade Parenteau. With the waiver rules, the Devils would have to offer him to any other teams that put in a waiver claim on him earlier before they could trade him. So they could potentially lose him for nothing if they try to trade him.

A few more losses like the one last night to the Hawks and the Jets will be sellers. The goaltending is just not holding up. Unless they fix that problem, they will be sellers. Kinda tough to give up valuable assets for a goalie when the expansion draft is coming up and the team as a whole is playing bad defense. It's not all the goalies, but that is the weak point for sure.

On 2/2/2017 at 0:32 AM, flyer4ever said:

Here's some more good news. #30 in cap space as of today, and nobody on the players most likely to move at the deadline. I know these lists are speculative, but it shows the lack of content on this team right now.

I think when the first 5 or 6 d-man domino's fall, the Flyers scrubs will be in play. Assuming the Ducks are serious about Fowler or Vatanen moving...Cody Franson, maybe Trouba, maybe Hamilton, probably Shattenkirk. When and if those guys get dealt, the depth guys are front and center. I think the Flames and Jets will be real picky about the return though, somebody would have to knock their socks off. The best thing that can happen is 2 or 3 of those guys get dealt before the deadline.

I'm just about 90% certain the Flyers will get a least a 2nd for Streit. He carries no long term baggage, a pure rental who can be let go after the playoffs. Plus, he's an established pp qb, teams will want him for insurance. These factors negate his age and slow skating. MDZ might get a 1st if we kick in a 3rd and or a prospect. As we all know, GM's lose their minds at the deadline, although we have never had an expansion draft looming. This makes the guys signed for just this year all the more valuable. Flyers will sell these guys and quite easily. Even if they are in a playoff race, Manning is as good or better than Streit, and Schultz can fill in also.

Updated list of players with no trade (specifies modified no trades also, including how many teams they can be dealt to) and no movement clauses.

On a Flyers note, ABSOLUTELY amazing how Hexy has whittled down Homer's huge list of no trade clauses (as we like to say, handed them out like candy!) . Flyers only 3 playes listed, Simmonds no trade (not going anywhere) Streit has a modified NTC, 12 teams he can be dealt to) and Giroux with a total no movement clause. The list used to be over 10 just a few short years ago...NICE JOB HEXY!!!

http://thehockeywriters.com/2017-nhl-trade-deadline-no-movement-no-trade-clauses/

I was wrong on the Parenteau thing by the way. Teams who put in a claim on him would have the opportunity to match any trade, but wouldn't be able to just claim him for free. So maybe the Devils can find a deal for him after all. Which I hope they do. He can score some goals but always seems to have at least one horrendous shift every game where he does something stupid.

9 minutes ago, hf101 said:

Panthers looking for offensive help on the PP according to Dave Tallon and is willing to move prospects if the deal is right.

Adam Mascherin, Left Wing
Ht/Wt: 5-10/206
2015-16: Kitchener (OHL)
Drafted: 38th overall in the second round of the 2016 draft by Florida

Season                                           GP G A TP PIM
2015-2016 Kitchener Rangers OHL 65 35 46 81 16
2016-2017 Kitchener Rangers OHL 52 32 56 88 16

Mascherin is a sniper. He has excellent compete level, owns a lethal shot, and is a plus in skating skills. 

Any takers here?  If you are Hexy, what would would you give up?  Just thinking outside the box here.

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

Adam Mascherin, Left Wing
Ht/Wt: 5-10/206
2015-16: Kitchener (OHL)
Drafted: 38th overall in the second round of the 2016 draft by Florida

Mascherin is a sniper. He has excellent compete level, owns a lethal shot, and is a plus in skating skills. 

Any takers here?  If you are Hexy, what would would you give up?  Just thinking outside the box here.

I prefer a winger with some size.  

1 minute ago, hf101 said:

I prefer a winger with some size.  

Agree ...but like I said...just thinking outside the box.  Really did not see anyone on Florida's prospect list that I would trade for.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived