Has this ever happened before?

DaGreatGazoo

Maybe this has happened before?   Pretty unique business arrangement between the Isles/Owners/etc, but I don't remember a team being kicked out of a building for not making money.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-30/brooklyn-s-barclays-center-said-to-be-dumping-the-islanders

3 hours ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

Maybe this has happened before?   Pretty unique business arrangement between the Isles/Owners/etc, but I don't remember a team being kicked out of a building for not making money.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-30/brooklyn-s-barclays-center-said-to-be-dumping-the-islanders

I have never seen anything like this DGG. Here we have a team called the Islanders, with no intention of ever returning to the Island....lol. There is no doubt that MANY former season ticket holders never bothered to make the trip to Brooklyn. This has to be an area of concern for the NHL. Can the Islanders even sustain themselves in Queens??  Perhaps they become Seattle or Quebec?? 

One thing for sure, it's not good for the franchise, all this uncertainty. How do they expect Tavares to commit to a long term deal when they don't have any surrounding talent AND now, no home....WTF!!  If I'm Tavares, I run....and fast.

1 hour ago, jammer2 said:

I have never seen anything like this DGG. Here we have a team called the Islanders, with no intention of ever returning to the Island....lol.

Geographically, Brooklyn is on Long Island...

I have never seen anything like this DGG. Here we have a team called the Islanders, with no intention of ever returning to the Island....lol. There is no doubt that MANY former season ticket holders never bothered to make the trip to Brooklyn. This has to be an area of concern for the NHL. Can the Islanders even sustain themselves in Queens??  Perhaps they become Seattle or Quebec?? 

Queens would be marginally closer to the "old fanbase" (which was already so small there was talk of moving to Quebec - which should only intensify now. The LIRR stopped right under Barclays Center and is arguably a shorter ride for many of the "old fanbase" than navigating to Nassau.

I think with the franchise history as one of the last real dynasties - excepting perhaps the Bowman Red Wings and the current Blackhawks - the league is trying to keep the team in place.

One thing for sure, it's not good for the franchise, all this uncertainty. How do they expect Tavares to commit to a long term deal when they don't have any surrounding talent AND now, no home....WTF!!  If I'm Tavares, I run....and fast.

As for Tavares? He's got another year and the Islanders have another year to figure out what's happening with the team.

Wouldn't it just be Quebec's luck to get a gutted Islanders franchise with no expansion draft?

17 minutes ago, radoran said:

Geographically, Brooklyn is on Long Island...

Thank you for clarifying. I was to lazy to google, I had no idea that Brooklyn was part of Long Island.

26 minutes ago, radoran said:

Queens would be marginally closer to the "old fanbase" (which was already so small there was talk of moving to Quebec - which should only intensify now. The LTIR stopped right under Barclays Center and is arguably a shorter ride for many of the "old fanbase" than navigating to Nassau.

At this point, maybe the old fanbase is sick and tired of all this crap. Many fans that were adults during the glory years are not gonna travel anywhere to watch hockey. So, are their kids that interested?  

You are right, that Islanders dynasty was awesome. 4 in a row is breathtaking (although the first one is in question :) ). So many great players, so many GREAT role players. Some great drafting, trading...in a non capped world of course. You think of Bossy, Trotts, Potvin etc from those great teams, but for me, it was Ken Morrow, winning the Gold for the USA, going straight to the NHL, winning 4 straight .....that will obviously never be topped.

Islanders are gonna be hard pressed to sign Johnny T long term. Why should he do that, take your pick as the most sought after UFA of all time, play with REAL stars, not Bailey and Lee....a no brainer to me.

Tavares will be gone that is goig to happen,im guessing he will go to toronto as for a building to play in,lol they are running out of options back to the collisium with a better deal?quebec will not support a team if you suck they wont come out a move eles where seems there best bet i would just hate to lose the islanders name.

18 minutes ago, musky said:

Tavares will be gone that is goig to happen,im guessing he will go to toronto as for a building to play in,lol they are running out of options back to the collisium with a better deal?quebec will not support a team if you suck they wont come out a move eles where seems there best bet i would just hate to lose the islanders name.

My guess would be that, if the Leafs were going to make a blockbuster deal, it would be a defenseman coming in, not another centre.

I believe they aren't necessarily being kicked out, but that the timeline is a part of their current contract.  The Islanders can choose to opt out of their contract to play at Barclays after the 2017-18 season and the owners of Barclay's arena can opt out after 2018-19.  Any new contract with the Barclays probably means they will want more money from the Islanders to stay long term.   This all seems to be part of the typical public whining for more money, imo and the Islanders want better conditions.

51 minutes ago, musky said:

All report's I've read state Tavares wants to stay.  

Also.  Welcome to the site. 

:welcome:

16 hours ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

That's because it's the NHL. Commonsense has no place here.  :confused[1]:

In what other line of business can you repeatedly lose money and continue to have a location? It's like having a store at the mall and not paying the lease. 

The truth is betman wants this to be a american game because that is where the money is the nhl really has no plan of expansion in canada,so i think seattle is going to get the islanders in my oponion but im guessing the name islanders will be lost to history as well.

7 minutes ago, musky said:

The truth is betman wants this to be a american game because that is where the money is the nhl really has no plan of expansion in canada,so i think seattle is going to get the islanders in my oponion but im guessing the name islanders will be lost to history as well.

Aside from maybe Quebec City and maybe a second team in the Tronno area - where would you think the NHL can expand in Canada?

Seven of the top eight Metros have a team already and the ninth- Hamilton - has the Tronno/Buffalo issues which have bedeviled it for years.

#10 is Kitchener-Cambridge-Waterloo which, at 477K total population has a real issue with sustainability.

14 minutes ago, musky said:

The truth is betman wants this to be a american game

That has been his agenda all along. Bettman has routinely ignored core hockey markets in Canada (and even in the northern US) in an effort to put teams in locations that have no business having hockey teams. Most of the teams he has put down in the southern US have either failed or are presently failing: Atlanta, Phoenix, Florida, Nashville, Carolina, etc...

At some point, a brave interviewer/reporter (unfortunately there is no such thing) needs to ask:

"Gary, why haven't you put a second team in Toronto? Or a team in Quebec City? Or a team in Seattle? Are you trying to place teams in locations where they have no chance to succeed?" 

1 minute ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

That has been his agenda all along. Bettman has routinely ignored core hockey markets in Canada (and even in the northern US) in an effort to put teams in locations that have no business having hockey teams. Most of the teams he has put down in the southern US have either failed or are presently failing: Atlanta, Phoenix, Florida, Nashville, Carolina, etc...

At some point, a brave interviewer/reporter (unfortunately there is no such thing) needs to ask:

"Gary, why haven't you put a second team in Toronto? Or a team in Quebec City? Or a team in Seattle? Are you trying to place teams in locations where they have no chance to succeed?" 

Nashville is currently at 100% sellout for the year and outdrawing Ottawa and Winnipeg, within 1,000 seats per game of Original Six franchises Boston and New York Rangers. Last season they outdrew Edmonton.

There is no second team in Tronno or Hamilton because the Leafs will not allow it to happen. They are afraid of the competition if the NHL actually put an NHL franchise in or near Tronno.

There is no team in Quebec because once the Nordiques left that fanbase reverted to the Canadiens and there is serious question as to whether a team in Quebec could survive the competition from Montreal. Doubly so if they were saddled with, for example, Carolina's current roster.

The Seattle question is the easiest of all - there is no place for the team to play.

The general theory of putting teams into more Top TV markets was to make the league more valuable to potential broadcasters.

As the league - by every metric - is more popular then ever, it's hard to explain to the owners that the league is in serious trouble and needs more teams in tiny Canadian cities to be successful.

Carolina is woebegone today averaging just over 12K attendance, but as recently as the 13-14 season was drawing over 15K and the year before that was doing over 17K. Being terrible doesn't help sell tickets.

The Islanders need to move, no question. And I could see Florida pulling up stakes as well. But it's not like the Florida experiment as a state has failed - the Lightning are a perrennial top 10 draw.

1 hour ago, radoran said:

Nashville is currently at 100% sellout for the year and outdrawing Ottawa and Winnipeg, within 1,000 seats per game of Original Six franchises Boston and New York Rangers. Last season they outdrew Edmonton.

My bad. :(

There is no second team in Tronno or Hamilton because the Leafs will not allow it to happen. They are afraid of the competition if the NHL actually put an NHL franchise in or near Tronno.

The league (and Bettman himself) keeps saying publically that teams can't block other franchises from entering their territory. He claims that the league has total control over the location of its teams. The bylaws say that teams have a defined territory with a specified radius and the ability to veto any move that would put a team in their territory. I'm amazed that nobody has ever gotten to the bottom of this issue once and for all. :(

Seattle question is the easiest of all - there is no place for the team to play.

But you wouldn't build an NHL arena for a team that you don't have. You would acquire the team first and then build the arena.

As the league - by every metric - is more popular then ever, it's hard to explain to the owners that the league is in serious trouble and needs more teams in tiny Canadian cities to be successful.

Not tiny ones. Big ones!  :biggrin:

Just now, WordsOfWisdom said:

The league (and Bettman himself) keeps saying publically that teams can't block other franchises from entering their territory. He claims that the league has total control over the location of its teams. The bylaws say that teams have a defined territory with a specified radius and the ability to veto any move that would put a team in their territory. I'm amazed that nobody has ever gotten to the bottom of this issue once and for all. :(

The league does "have control." And who's in charge of the league?

The owners.

Montreal was publicly in favor of the Quebec City franchise. How's that working out for the Quebecois?

2 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

But you wouldn't build an NHL arena for a team that you don't have. You would acquire the team first and then build the arena.

The league isn't going to put a team in an area with no arena. What happens to Carolina if they move to Seattle with no place to play?

Seattle also abjectly failed to come up with the expansion franchise money.

3 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Not tiny ones. Big ones!  :biggrin:

There aren't any more "big ones." Assume Quebec and maybe another in the Tronno area and that's that (I'm including Hamilton in the "in Tronno area").

At best you've got two more teams - one in an area that has already lost it's team and another in an area which, I concur, could really use a real NHL franchise. :hocky:

3 minutes ago, radoran said:

The owners.

Montreal was publicly in favor of the Quebec City franchise. How's that working out for the Quebecois?

The league isn't going to put a team in an area with no arena. What happens to Carolina if they move to Seattle with no place to play?

Seattle also abjectly failed to come up with the expansion franchise money.

There aren't any more "big ones." Assume Quebec and maybe another in the Tronno area and that's that (I'm including Hamilton in the "in Tronno area").

At best you've got two more teams - one in an area that has already lost it's team and another in an area which, I concur, could really use a real NHL franchise. :hocky:

I could be mistaken, doesn't Kanas City have a arena already built? Sprint Center) 

Are the Islanders considering Madison square garden?

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

The owners.

Not so good. :(

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

A group based in Seattle would first purchase the team (with the understanding that they're moving it to Seattle). They build the arena in Seattle during that time, play out one final lame duck year in Carolina, and then adios. :)

6 minutes ago, radoran said:

Seattle also abjectly failed to come up with the expansion franchise money

Remind me again why there is an "expansion fee"? ;)

7 minutes ago, radoran said:

We've got lots of big ones. They're all up north. Our people live underground in caves, plotting to take over the world. :ph34r:

8 minutes ago, radoran said:

Yeah, I guess you're right. Next top: Europe!  

1 minute ago, notfondajane said:

I could be mistaken, doesn't Kanas City have a arena already built? Sprint Center) 

Are the Islanders considering Madison square garden?

I believe Kansas City does have something that could be used for an NHL franchise.

Just now, notfondajane said:

Also, Houston and San Antonio have basketball arena that MIGHT BE suitable for a N.H.L team?

Surely they do - the NHL is not at all out of options in terms of where to put new teams.

There just aren't a lot of options in Canada.

2 minutes ago, radoran said:

Surely they do - the NHL is not at all out of options in terms of where to put new teams.

There just aren't a lot of options in Canada.

That is very true! Quebec is the only viable option!

30 minutes ago, musky said:

if they put a team in hamilton it would sell out but bufflo would be empty so that will never happen.

Buffalo does get a good number of folks from the Niagara Peninsula, but they have a pretty firm, established and rabid fanbase in Western New York.

They would not be "empty" by any stretch. Whether "Hamilton" can draw enough people who aren't already loyalists for the Leafs or Sabres is another question entirely.

If nothing else, WNY has half a million more people in the Metro area than Hamilton - which would be the smallest "City" in the League (slightly smaller Metro than Winnipeg).

Archived