Blues Fire Hitchcock

radoran

Not surprised. The Blues have underachieved for most of the year and they have had some serious issues in net as Allen has struggled mightily.  Though they current have for the moment secured the last wildcard spot, there are no less than 3 or 4 teams breathing down their neck.

What's weird is, Mike Yeo (formerly of the Minnesota Wild) was one of Hitchcock's assistant...AND, when the Blues hired Mike Yeo, it was no secret to anyone that he was going to succeed Hitchcock as coach of the Blues, as it was widely assumed Ken Hitchcock would retire from coaching after this season regardless of where the team ended up.

Thing is, if that is so (Hitch retiring), why pull the plug on him before the season is over with?

I understand sometimes players need a "new voice", but Mike Yeo has been one of the SAME voices they have been listening to, along with Hitchcock, all season.

The problem with the team, IMO, isn't in the coaching, but rather, player execution on the ice.

Jake Allen the problem? Maybe, maybe not, but Allen has been one of the better goalies the Blues have had since Hitchcock has been coach there. He is JUST NOW entering the prime of his career and I don't think has reached his full potential just yet...and in the journey to become an elite goalie, he IS going to have some very rough patches.

That is where veteran leadership comes into play for the Blues as a team.

David Backes, while aging, provided that....and who did the Blues get to replace Backes departure? From what I can tell, NO ONE!

But back to Hitchcock.......was it REALLY such a good idea for the Blues' front office to hire a guy (Yeo) who would be the next coach, and then to basically ANNOUNCE that, and have Hitchcock looking over his shoulder all year?

Probably not.

And to be honest, it's not like Mike Yeo is going to be some sort of savior for this team.

Sure, I know NHL head coaches, like anyone else in any other field, grow and get better with experience and perseverance, but Mike Yeo, in watching him in his time with the Wild, is at best, an average X's and O's guy, and someone who IS loyal to players...almost to a fault.

Is that what the Blues FO want for the team behind the bench...a real loyal guy, who may not be able to match up against other coaches strategy-wise?

Will the players REALLY buy into his way of thinking?

Granted, Mike Yeo has often been credited for working real well with young players as he did in the minors (and many Wild players credit him with their development while playing for him in the AHL), but I think we all know, it is one thing to be a great developer of players in the minors, and quite another to be a Stanley Cup winning head coach, and command the respect of a championship caliber team.....which is what the Blues fancy themselves to be apparently.

If change was in the offing, I would have waited till at least the off season to make those.

Obviously, Blues' brass felt otherwise, but then again, they were the ones who put a "succeed or else" sign in the form of Mike Yeo at the beginning of the season for Hitchcock to have to contend with all season.

Unless Mike Yeo has some magic formula that he as acquired since being relieved of his Wild duties, I think the Blues may be headed for a rebuild of sorts, and the Stanley Cup has just moved out of reach for them for the foreseeable future.

3 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

They should have done that this past offseason....whatever....they still need a goalie...

Yeah.  The problem, among several, is that Hitch was basically lame duck this year.  I think the team checked out.

Yeah, they need a goalie, but I'm also suspicious of their goalie coach.  So if I'm a Blues' fan (I'm not), I'm happy he's out too.

But ultimately, I really feel bad for the golf coach.   No, not really.

10 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

If change was in the offing, I would have waited till at least the off season to make those.

Obviously, Blues' brass felt otherwise, but then again, they were the ones who put a "succeed or else" sign in the form of Mike Yeo at the beginning of the season for Hitchcock to have to contend with all season

Maybe.  I think the call was made because the Blues seemed to have turned a corner completely the wrong way and management feels there's time to salvage this season.

If Hitch was done anyway, I'm okay with this.   Mr. TheMaker03 has had his opportunity there.  Not all his fault (not even close), but he didn't get it done and clearly wasn't going to with his limited time left.

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah.  The problem, among several, is that Hitch was basically lame duck this year.  I think the team checked out.

Yeah, they need a goalie, but I'm also suspicious of their goalie coach.  So if I'm a Blues' fan (I'm not), I'm happy he's out too.

But ultimately, I really feel bad for the golf coach.   No, not really.

They should have just kept Ben Bishop when they had him....did they really need that 2nd round pick they got for him???

I think not.

1 hour ago, blocker said:

Hitchcock wasted time by drilling all those holes in the wall.

Or, do I have the wrong Hitchcock?

Yea, wrong Hitchcock...

This one here was allegedly going to leave at season's end anyways...he thought the job was for.......the birds....  :ph34r:

I saw this pic of Hitch the other day and man he just doesn't look well.

Image result for ken Hitchcock

I thought over the All Star Game that wow, this is a coach who is done. Toast.

I almost started a topic on this pic on Sunday, lol.  

Yeo needs to take advantage of the Blues speed something Hitch never really took advantage of in his coaching style.

I'm not much of a fan of whatshisname on Sportsnet (Doug McLean so?), and he seems to have a personal grudge maybe wth Hitch, but the thing he said that I glommed onto is that Hitch is *hard* on not just the players, but *everyone* in the organization, e.g. "marketing," the equipment managers, the ice girls (kidding, I'm kidding, he didn't say that)

That sounds plausible to me. 

12 hours ago, hf101 said:

I saw this pic of Hitch the other day and man he just doesn't look well.

Image result for ken Hitchcock

I thought over the All Star Game that wow, this is a coach who is done. Toast.

I almost started a topic on this pic on Sunday, lol.  

Yeo needs to take advantage of the Blues speed something Hitch never really took advantage of in his coaching style.

He looks like he put on some weight. I remember a few years ago it looks like you lost some weight and I even read some articles about how he was exercising more, but it definitely looks like he put it back on.

• 3 months later...

It looks like Yeo will have his own choice of assistant coaches next year as the Blues have fired 4 assistant coaches who were hired by Hitchcock.   Assistant coaches Ray Bennett, Steve Thomas, Rick Wilson, and Ty Conklin all would not return to the Blue staff next season.

6 hours ago, hf101 said:

It looks like Yeo will have his own choice of assistant coaches next year as the Blues have fired 4 assistant coaches who were hired by Hitchcock.   Assistant coaches Ray Bennett, Steve Thomas, Rick Wilson, and Ty Conklin all would not return to the Blue staff next season.

It has been rumored Berube will move up and replace one of them...the Cup is theirs.......so says Rick!!!! Darryl Sydor to join him.

Archived