Flyers Trade Deadline Thread

brelic

34 minutes ago, mkscrewy said:

i don't like either one of these signings. this isn't something that could be handled in the off-season? were people knocking down doors for a 4th liner and a terrible goalie with the lowest S% in the league? most of our players seem to have very little trade value right now. are these signings just exercises in trying to make it look like they do?

is there a masterplan involved here, and if so, are they sure anyone on the team who has any brains knows anything about it?

I don't really care about PEB, but the Neuwirth deal makes me feel a little more relaxed.  Stable.  Just one less thing to worry about.  They have a guy they can expose to Vegas.  He doesn't cost much.  They can play him next year if they need him and ease Stolarz (or any one of their other 3 prospects, though admittedly probably not Hart yet) into the role next year.   OR they can make a deal for an actual good goalie (like the kind teams will be looking to trade) in the off season before the draft without having to worry about exposing or losing him.  

PEB is a just fine 4th line Center.  I have no problems with him.  Maybe he's getting paid too much, but if he's getting half a million more than I'd like I'm not going to cry over it.  Maybe Vegas takes him.  Who knows?  I don't see it as a problem.

The timing is interesting though.  Seems very strategic in terms of putting pieces into position for something.  

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, flyer4ever said:

Apparently not on the math. He just doubled the 4th line centres pay for 2 more years. Really sending a message to the Mediocres. Meanwhile, Tampa, Vancouver and Detroit start to rebuild. 

He doubled the salary to 1.45 million in a year when he's automatically getting almost $20 million off the books.  

I'm really not sweating that.  

1 hour ago, murraycraven said:

that still does not solve anything...

so you can expose the statistically worst goalie in the league while giving him a raise of nearly 1M.   Oh, and the guy can;'t stay healthy.  If the deal was to sign him and expose him that is fine...  if he wanted that money walk away and sign someone else.  Just plain stupid....

Just like giving a 4th liner a 100% increase...     

I'm not sure what the problem with this is.  Neuwirth is an insurance policy.  This deal is most likely there just to expose him and if he stays, it's not an exorbitant sum that will prevent them from signing other players.  He's there so there's someone who's played in the NHL available at the position.  There are literally 4 goalies in the system who could be NHL starters.  3 of them could even be good.  2 of them could even be very good.  I'm actually more encouraged to see Hextall do this than I would be if he'd traded for Bishop or Crawford.  

Tim P makes a good point on his twitter in the case of Streit being here next year to mentor the younglings but that has nothing to do with this year.

Why couldn't we rent him and get a 3rd rounder back and then resign him for a year in the offseason?

Same with Delzotto?

I was really hoping for a trade to get some scoring also.

I am sorry but if the 1st round of the draft is going to be **** like everyone is saying I would love to see the Flyers get a couple picks for renting out Streit, Delzotto etc..

Then resign them and trade Schenn and our 1st for a bonafide scoring winger or Center.

Looks like TB also sent a draft pick since we are taking on the additional year for Filppula .    Now we have our 10th center on the roster...

If he can regain his form a great deal by Hexy but still a bit of a reclamation project. 4th rounder and a conditional 7th.   Feel like we helped out TB on this one a bit too...  I do like his creativity with the puck....

Well, Filppula brings in more passing. And no goal scoring. 

I'm not sure this makes us better. I would have been happy with just moving Streit for picks... no need for the 32-year old, $5M roster player for another year.

Unless he'll be left exposed... though he does have an NMC, which means we *need* to protect him, doesn't it?

Thoughts?

5 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Looks like TB also sent a draft pick since we are taking on the additional year for Filppula .    Now we have our 10th center on the roster...

If he can regain his form a great deal by Hexy but still a bit of a reclamation project.

Coots might be traded in the next 14 minutes.

1 minute ago, Philly29 said:

Is there another trade in the works? What you guys think with only ten mins left?

I am so confused about today's moves that I really don't know what the hell is gonna happen.  Overpay a goalie, overpay a 4th liner and now take on an additional 5M for one year for a 4th and 7th conditional?   

Archived