Flyers Trade Deadline Thread

brelic

15 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'd hang on to Read.  There needs to be someone viable and remotely attractive to Vegas.  In their current situation, if they sign a goalie, Read, Weise and one of either Cousins, Weal or Laughton will be the only exposable forwards.   

You could trade Read and increase the likelihood that Vegas takes Weise, but I think it's more likely they take Weal, Laughton or Cousins don't you?   Read's a safe bet for Vegas.  Solid team building acquisition.  The other kids, you really don't know what you're going to get.  If Vegas has filled out their reliable lineup by the time they get to Philly maybe they'll take a chance on one of the two younger guys that isn't protected.  But if they haven't, they're probably going to opt for Read.

I understand the instinct to dump Vandy and Belly, but I think it's less likely that you'll get a taker on them, but additionally, because of the scenario outlined above, the Flyers are almost definitely going to need at least one of these guys next year.

If Vegas takes Read, you'll have Laughton, Leier & Weal to bring up, but these are not really 4th line type guys.  

Maybe Weal plays on the 3rd replacing Read, leaving you Laughton and Leier to play with Lyuby on the on 4th. Aside from the "catchy names like "H.E. Triple Hockey Sticks Line" it feels a little sketchy for Hakstol who relies so heavily on these punks to have a 4th line with 2 guys he's refusing to play now and a second year guy.  Also, do we really see Leier and Laughton as 4th liners?  Maybe.  I guess they could be.  I don't know.  

Anyway, I keep Read to dangle as golden knight bait and I see if I can resign Belly on 7/1.  The rest can go.  

I was just saying who I would look to trade. It would take a lot of work for Hextall to move each and everyone that I mentioned. Chances of that happening are very slim. Personally I don't think Weal or Cousins have a future with this team. Cousins does not show me much and he never has. He's soft, doesn't have much of a shot and has no playmaking abilities. He's not good enough to play on the top-6, and his skill set doesnt work on the bottom-6. Weal just reminds me of Akeson v2.0.I couldn't careless if we lost either of them to Vegas.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Not to fear everyone.... Ek said the Flyers are receiving lots of calls for Streit so we have that going for us.... which is nice.  :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

E4!!!!

14 days left to say...big game versus Pens 3 days before deadline...

23 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Not to fear everyone.... Ek said the Flyers are receiving lots of calls for Streit so we have that going for us.... which is nice.  :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

E4!!!!

How is this guys site still in existence? He's like Super Shadow (only nerds will get this) for hockey.

On 2/7/2017 at 9:10 AM, brelic said:

A few thoughts.

1. Call up Weal

I was listening to the broadcast while doing some chores last night, and noticed them talking about the hotshot AHLer the Blues called up... can't remember his name now. He was leading the AHL in points.

So, why not call up Weal? He's tearing it up, and the NHL club is having trouble scoring. Not only that, we do not have six legitimate top 6 players. There is Voracek, Giroux, Simmonds, and Schenn. The rest of the club is not top 6. Konecny might be in the future, and he's done well so far this year.

2. Send down Ghost

I would also send Ghost down for a while. He's just got too many holes in his game, and when he's not putting up points, he's a huge liability. He needs to round out his game and get his confidence back. And I don't buy the mental resiliency angle - if he can't handle it, he doesn't belong in the NHL. Period. A trip to Lehigh Valley should reignite the fire to get back to Philly.

3. Trade a goalie

Trade Neuvirth or Mason, and bring up Stolarz in the back up role. We won't keep both, so may as well get the young guy some more experience in the NHL. 

4. Trade deadweight / expiring contracts

Major or minor trade, doesn't really matter much. But it would be a good time to shed some of the deadweight / expiring contracts in return for assets and picks. I'm thinking Streit, Read, Weise, Del Zotto, etc. Not all, mind you, but it's worth exploring, and I'm sure Hextall has been doing that all year.

EDIT: Was in the Blues gameday thread, but decided to split it to a new thread on the deadline.

I approve of this post.

I would also strongly consider trading G this year, in the off-season, or at some point next year if you don't plan on going after some elite talent.

7 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

that is a great question.... it honestly amazes me....

It baffles me that not only is his site still around, his site has become a legitimate source for news ( not necessarily rumors, but bloggers, beat writers, etc.). He has advertisers and makes money off of it!

2 hours ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

It baffles me that not only is his site still around, his site has become a legitimate source for news ( not necessarily rumors, but bloggers, beat writers, etc.). He has advertisers and makes money off of it!

I'm guessing he probably does have sources, but at this point they basically just screw with him and use him to throw off their scent to competitors.  Just adding to the static.  

A room full of monkeys with type writers will eventually write a novel though I guess. 

Moving Streit and Hextall getting calls about him isn't exactly a dangerous bet. 

About seven years ago I posted a fake trade rumor on that I made up on facebook about Hartnell, Betts and a pick getting moved for Kopitar. I said a good friend worked in corporate merchandising stated that all orders for the production of Hartnell Winter Classic jerseys have stopped and they are ordering Kopitar in his place. It was just some crazy Eklund **** to see if I could get a rise out of people. 

Well it was shared, liked, discussed to no end. For a week I knew what it felt like to be Eklund, and it felt dirty. 

At the end of the day, I think we see a few parts moved. A prospect or two come in, and a few picks sent the Flyers way. 

29 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

About seven years ago I posted a fake trade rumor on that I made up on facebook about Hartnell, Betts and a pick getting moved for Kopitar. I said a good friend worked in corporate merchandising stated that all orders for the production of Hartnell Winter Classic jerseys have stopped and they are ordering Kopitar in his place. It was just some crazy Eklund **** to see if I could get a rise out of people. 

Well it was shared, liked, discussed to no end. For a week I knew what it felt like to be Eklund, and it felt dirty. 

At the end of the day, I think we see a few parts moved. A prospect or two come in, and a few picks sent the Flyers way. 

you dirty dog bert....    you dirty dog....

It also reminds me of a poster that came around these parts and claimed he was friends w/ Homer and his family.   He would insinuate trades and pretty much the opposite always happened.   

Just now, murraycraven said:

It also reminds me of a poster that came around these parts and claimed he was friends w/ Homer and his family.   He would insinuate trades and pretty much the opposite always happened.   

Yeah wasn't that Dodgers or something? If I recall correctly, he would dine at the Holmgren residence. 

I would really like to know your opinions on whether the Flyers are sellers or buyers now?  I mean, my Sabres are 1 pt back, as are the Leafs.  to me Toronto has played better hockey than the Flyers and Sabres put together.  But here they sit, all pretty much tied.  The Leafs have to be buyers.  I can see them being one of those 8 seed Edmonton type teams.  Like the 06 Oilers that pulled off the miracle of getting to the finals.  We were a period away from having them for dinner.  The Flyers and Sabres would both be obliterated in the first round by Washington.  Toronto might be able to surprise them a game or two?  What say all ye?

Oh, I almost forgot, those pesky Florida Panthers.  If there is a potential Giant killer, its them IMO

2 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I would really like to know your opinions on whether the Flyers are sellers or buyers now?  

Sellers headed from the cellar...they have issues from the net out...Hextall has his work cut out for him this offseason...

Rick , I think we should be sellers. Our "good" players aren't playing well.  We have some guys that could maybe help a contender in a pinch,  I think MDZ, Striet, and Read could all bring back a decent return.

What I would like to see is some call-ups from the farm so determinations can be made about what we have.

Right now this Flyers team is going nowhere.  Sell Mortimer SELL !

4 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I would really like to know your opinions on whether the Flyers are sellers or buyers now?  I mean, my Sabres are 1 pt back, as are the Leafs.  to me Toronto has played better hockey than the Flyers and Sabres put together.  But here they sit, all pretty much tied.  The Leafs have to be buyers.  I can see them being one of those 8 seed Edmonton type teams.  Like the 06 Oilers that pulled off the miracle of getting to the finals.  We were a period away from having them for dinner.  The Flyers and Sabres would both be obliterated in the first round by Washington.  Toronto might be able to surprise them a game or two?  What say all ye?

Oh, I almost forgot, those pesky Florida Panthers.  If there is a potential Giant killer, its them IMO

I would be surprised if they were either. Hextall's philosophy seems to be draft young players  and sit on your hands  the rest of the time.

The saddest thing all they assests the Flyers are/were considering trading have about as low a value as they can have now.

Good luck with all that now. Some lucky GMs are going to rob Ronnie this deadline i'm afraid.

On 2/14/2017 at 10:31 AM, fanaticV3.0 said:

How is this guys site still in existence? He's like Super Shadow (only nerds will get this) for hockey.

It still exists because of the multi-faceted approach the site takes. Excellent writers that cover specific teams. In depth articles on trending, up to date happenings in the hockey world. Cap central for cap related inquiries. Throw in the rumors that are the equivalent of gawkers staring at a tragic accident and you have one stop shopping for all your hockey needs.

Ek is a smart guy, he knows what will get hits and it's not just rumors, it's the unique blend of hockey coverage for every team, thus each and every fan has an interest in that days news. Where else can you get Flyers news like  Metzler supplies. He might be the best writer ever for the Flyers. Just because of Metz, I go there every day.  As fans, we crave insight and knowledge on our favourite team and Ek supllies it in spades.

On 2/17/2017 at 10:24 AM, OccamsRazor said:

Sellers headed from the cellar...they have issues from the net out...Hextall has his work cut out for him this offseason...

I still say he needs to make 2-3 acquisitions to be good next year and competitive in 2.

-Temporary (2-3 year) vet Stay at Home D man to balance out the pairings and create some stability in front of the net.

-Older vet that hates losing and can still rouse the troops (aka a leader).  Justin Williams would be my go, but he'll probably want to go to a contender and he's scoring enough to ask for a boat load of money... which oddly enough we might have some of.

-Scoring winger.  Someone to put Raffl on the 3rd line permanently.  Oshie is UFA, but I doubt he comes to a non-contender either.  Also he plays on the right side which we're fat on already.  

I'm actually not even sure the scoring winger is necessary, since there are few around this league, but I think a clever scout might be able to find someone that's remotely affordable.  The main thing is suring up the defense so all three forwards dont' start every transition from inside their own dots and having some veteran leadership to speak from experience and be the big brother/big sister rep these kids never regained after Homer sent Jagr packing.

Archived