Flyers Trade Deadline Thread

brelic

1 minute ago, off_the_post said:

Can't be any worse that our current 2C whether it be 10 (who gets PP1 time and leads the league in PP goals I believe) or 14 for which 51 has almost the double the amount of points. 

I see this as a stop gap.  I don't know if they could have found a better 1 year stop gap center in free agency next year. 

The point is you didn't need a stop gap for a year or two....  Not at 5M!  This team is not ready to compete so why take back an aging vet at 5M?   

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

you think?   I just believe he had much value.

Howdy MC:

I guess he had value for at least the next 20 games. Who knows what happens down the road?  If the MDZ of two years ago showed up....I would be happy. The MDZ of the past year or so...a different ball of wax.

It is hard for me to figure this trade deadline behavior...

2 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

The point is you didn't need a stop gap for a year or two....  Not at 5M!  This team is not ready to compete so why take back an aging vet at 5M?   

To perhaps allow the 2 Russian centers we have time to come over and play in the AHL and not rush them up; allow 10 to stay as a winger and 14 to be the over paid 3C he is. From what I can see Rubtsov is the best chance of being a legist 2C the Flyers have in the system and I am going to guess he will not be NHL ready next year.

7 minutes ago, off_the_post said:

To perhaps allow the 2 Russian centers we have time to come over and play in the AHL and not rush them up; allow 10 to stay as a winger and 14 to be the over paid 3C he is. From what I can see Rubtsov is the best chance of being a legist 2C the Flyers have in the system and I am going to guess he will not be NHL ready next year.

Factually, even if Couts is a 3C next year his contract is still reasonable.   The entire point of getting the UFAs out of the way was to save cap space.   Not take on an additional 5M for another year on someone who is completely overpaid for his output.   He has 7 goals and does not solve the scoring problem.   If you wanted to really make a push for the playoffs at least trade for a someone that score at a better clip than Filp.    

Agree to disagree....   

11 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Howdy MC:

I guess he had value for at least the next 20 games. Who knows what happens down the road?  If the MDZ of two years ago showed up....I would be happy. The MDZ of the past year or so...a different ball of wax.

It is hard for me to figure this trade deadline behavior...

Howie, I think we are better served not trying to figure this deadline out.   It is confusing to me to say the least....

45 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

perfect correlation!

...If they'd signed VLC for a year.  Plus they saved like 2 million in that "exchange."

I don't think they were making a play for a scoring LW this year.  I don't know who they would have gone for.  Clearly Sakic is asking way too much for either Landy or Duche.  I just don't see the plethora of material out there in the market.  

If I'm Hextall and this is all there is to the deal, do I make it?  probably not.  but in the end, it's just not a terrible deal.  Anyone upset about it is probably more upset about their unrealistic expectations for today being brought down to earth a bit.  

14 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Howie, I think we are better served not trying to figure this deadline out.   It is confusing to me to say the least....

It's sad--think are chips weren't worth much.  

Seems that Hextall recognized the need for a 2C and decided he couldn't get one in UFA.  Don't disagree with him there.  The UFA forward market, particularly at C, isn't the greatest.

However, and I know this is going to sound funny considering the bitching I've done about signing bottom six guys, but the $$$ allocated to Filppula could have been allocated to a couple of vets that could help this young team along.  I don't see that happening now, which is disappointing.

One issue about Filppula specifically is that he's not a shooter.  This team desperately needs someone to shoot the puck.

To me, this trade is meh.  I don't really see a need for it, other than as a stopgap 2C.  I'm not impressed by that.

I give the trade a C- for now, but it depends on what, if anything, they do in free agency.

On another note, I'm not thrilled with the Neuvirth contract.  PEB contract is OK.

Surprised he couldn't find a taker for MDZ.  I guess that's what happens when he looks like crap in limited action when he's not healthy scratched.

For me, this is a disappointing day that leaves me scratching my head a bit.

13 minutes ago, King Knut said:

...If they'd signed VLC for a year.  Plus they saved like 2 million in that "exchange."

I don't think they were making a play for a scoring LW this year.  I don't know who they would have gone for.  Clearly Sakic is asking way too much for either Landy or Duche.  I just don't see the plethora of material out there in the market.  

If I'm Hextall and this is all there is to the deal, do I make it?  probably not.  but in the end, it's just not a terrible deal.  Anyone upset about it is probably more upset about their unrealistic expectations for today being brought down to earth a bit.  

is it unrealistic to not want to take a 5M back for an additional year on a guy who scored as many goals as PEB this year and has been in steady decline for 3 years now?  I rather have COuts at 2C frankly...

is it unrealistic to not want to waste and expansion protection on this guy instead of a young player?

is it unrealistic to be upset the worst statistical goaltender in the league was resigned for 2 years and got a raise of 1M?  And btw, the guy cant stay healthy....  

is it unrealistic to not want to pay a run of the mill 4th line center nearly 1.5M per year over the next 2 years?  A 100% increase in pay.... 

I would answer no to all those...  but hey, I do get where you are coming from.   I think I am more pissed at all of the trades than just this one.   

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

we get some garbage round picks

I will remind you that Rick Tocchet, Pelle Eklund, and many other great Flyers were taken in the so-called garbage rounds! I wasn't drafted, but if I was it would most definitely have been in the garbagiest of garbage rounds. So watch it buddy!

Of course, I recognise that Kent Manderville was a 2nd round pick. So there's that.

Whats all this talk of needing a second line center, Giroux is a second line center on his way to being a third line center. My question is, where is our first line center and for that matter,our first line left wing. 

27 of his 34 points so far have come at even strength

Goals/Even strength goals/Even strength goal %        

30 Philadelphia Flyers 156 107 68.6%

A young player that is unlikely to get poached by Vegas as the only people clamoring for them are Flyers fans, which is evidenced by nobody wanting them at all as the trade deadline approaching.

Cheaper than Mason, who also can't stay healthy, expose him and protect your younger AHL goalie you'll likely be bringing up next year for the full season unless mason agrees to a similar deal or would you prefer to just sign random X free agent to 4 million for 1 year for the upcoming year and have the 7th "rebuilding year" in a row?

Who are you suggesting they put on the 4th line center to replace him? Seems highly unrealistic that he would have better options and instead choose to sign PEB.

Everyone one of you criticizing Hextall was praising him in countless topics and apologizing away awful moves as "This is the **** sandwich he was handed" You shifted from that to "Hakstol is in over his head!" and now we are back to "Hextall has failed at the trade deadline to deal players and work magic with a team even WE HATE"

UxsJTeo.png

I hate sounding like a broken record but have to think this was a comment on our squad...overpriced, overage, under-productive and under-motivated.  It is as bad as we've been saying for weeks, months, and years.  My gut says Hexy shopped components and couldn't get much.  And I guess he was unwilling to part with some of AHL talent to get some in return.  

Notwithstanding some blockbuster, it's hard for me to see how the club at opening day this October is much better or different from what we have now.  Maybe we see one of our D prospects...what else, who knows?

8 minutes ago, NRH said:

27 of his 34 points so far have come at even strength

Goals/Even strength goals/Even strength goal %        

30 Philadelphia Flyers 156 107 68.6%

A young player that is unlikely to get poached by Vegas as the only people clamoring for them are Flyers fans, which is evidenced by nobody wanting them at all as the trade deadline approaching.

Cheaper than Mason, who also can't stay healthy, expose him and protect your younger AHL goalie you'll likely be bringing up next year for the full season unless mason agrees to a similar deal or would you prefer to just sign random X free agent to 4 million for 1 year for the upcoming year and have the 7th "rebuilding year" in a row?

Who are you suggesting they put on the 4th line center to replace him? Seems highly unrealistic that he would have better options and instead choose to sign PEB.

Everyone one of you criticizing Hextall was praising him in countless topics and apologizing away awful moves as "This is the **** sandwich he was handed" You shifted from that to "Hakstol is in over his head!" and now we are back to "Hextall has failed at the trade deadline to deal players and work magic with a team even WE HATE"

UxsJTeo.png

Calm down Mrs Hextall....  We are only talking about business.

I rather protect a young forward than a declining overpaid player who is not a scorer.  Assists are great but I think it is pretty obvious we can't score.

PEB us a fine player but not worth what he was paid....   I am sorry, I would rather bring up someone else than pay that money to an everyday 4th liner.   He is not exceptional, can't score and can't drive the play.

But hey.... If you have a different opinion that is great.    A lot of us happen to disagree.   

I refuse to be part of your blind faith club.

Ask a bunch of questions, get a bunch of answers, reply with the classic deflection, I wouldn't expect anything more of you.

8 minutes ago, NRH said:

Ask a bunch of questions, get a bunch of answers, reply with the classic deflection, I wouldn't expect anything more of you.

So you ask a bunch of questions and I provided the answers....   See above?  That makes total sense....   okay maybe not.   Am I the only person that is not happy?   Last time I checked there were a few and I have NEVER been on the Hextall is God train - ever.  I have been pretty critical of him so come back when you actually have something to say that is actually true.   

39 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

I would answer no to all those...  but hey, I do get where you are coming from.   I think I am more pissed at all of the trades than just this one.   

What other trades?

8 minutes ago, intheslot said:

I don't see where says the flyers are retaining cash for Striet.??

the bolts are retaining money for the pens .

The flyers are retaining 5 percent in order for Tampa to be under the cap....  

5 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

Here is Hexy's take on the Flippula acquisition. How do you spell "Playoff Run?"  

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/pattisonave/Hayes-After-trade-Flyers-are-better-positioned-for-a-playoff-run.html

This was a message from Hextal to the corporate-type season ticket holders. The real Flyers and hockey fans KNOW that isn't the case.

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

This was a message from Hextal to the corporate-type season ticket holders. The real Flyers and hockey fans KNOW that isn't the case.

FD:

That's a good assessment.  The day leaves me dazed...but cements the deep dog poop we're in.  I am wondering about our defensive pairings the rest of the season.  No...I want to drive home with as little distraction as possible.

Archived