Flyers Trade Deadline Thread

brelic

15 minutes ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

You may have seen this, but if not, Flyers beats said he's centering Schenn and Voracek tonight.  

If you don't make an impact in that position, you likely won't. I don't expect an immediate spate of goals, but  will be looking for a spark, at least...

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, radoran said:

If you don't make an impact in that position, you likely won't. I don't expect an immediate spate of goals, but  will be looking for a spark, at least...

Agreed. He's being put in an excellent position. It's up to him how he responds.  My hope is that the Mad Scientist behind the bench gives them more than 5 shifts to find some chemistry before he starts line shuffling.  

14 hours ago, elmatus said:

The Neuvirth signing doesn't surprise me much. Let's not forget they need to expose a goalie to Vegas. If both your goalies have been underwhelming, but you have to resign someone to expose them, you're probably better off going with the cheaper option.

2.5 mil is a bit high for a back-up but low for a starter. This makes sense given the Flyers don't have any other goalie at that level right now with a proven track record. This tells me Stolarz is coming up next year and is likely to get a true shot at the starting job. At the same time, if Stolarz doesn't pan out, they have a known commodity in Neuvirth.

I fully understand signing Neuvirth, particularly for purposes of the expansion draft.  Conceptually, I am not opposed to that really.  The cap hit is a problem for me.  Who on earth I don't think there has been a signing where I didn't think Hextall overpaid.  

Also, I'm not sold on Stolarz as a starter.  If they go into the season with a Neuvirth/Stolarz combo, its going to be an ugly season.  That said, not sure what alternatives they may have.  I keep hearing that Miller wants to go to Buffalo, though the Sabres have Lennar.  Bishop will probably want $$ and term beyond what the Flyers should commit to.  Elliott?  Mason?   

14 hours ago, elmatus said:

And yeah, I think there's something to be said for known quantities. Hex knows what he's getting in Neuvirth. He's getting a goalie that: is capable of stealing a game now and again; knows the team, the coach, and the system; understands what next year is likely to bring with a crop of extremely green dmen on the horizon.

You left out oft-injured and that possesses the worst save percentage among goalies with 20 or more starts. :)

7 minutes ago, vis said:

I fully understand signing Neuvirth, particularly for purposes of the expansion draft.  Conceptually, I am not opposed to that really.  The cap hit is a problem for me.  Who on earth I don't think there has been a signing where I didn't think Hextall overpaid.  

Also, I'm not sold on Stolarz as a starter.  If they go into the season with a Neuvirth/Stolarz combo, its going to be an ugly season.  That said, not sure what alternatives they may have.  I keep hearing that Miller wants to go to Buffalo, though the Sabres have Lennar.  Bishop will probably want $$ and term beyond what the Flyers should commit to.  Elliott?  Mason?   

You left out oft-injured and that possesses the worst save percentage among goalies with 20 or more starts. :)

Agree with everything you said.    I don't have an issue with Nuevy but not sure why he merits a raise based on his play.

To me the deal just has risk written all over it.   Take away the expansion draft and we are looking at a very risky tandem next year.    Neuvy is incapable of playing 40 games which leaves Stolarz on the hook as a rookie.

Not sure Stolarz is ready to take on that type of load....   I would suspect another move is coming down the road.   

The nice things I've heard on Fillypuller is that he is a 2 way forward and plays with a professional positive attitude. No baggage and can fill a void in leadership as well since we don't have Streit's voice in the locker room.

He'll be a positive role model for the youth movement that are here and coming up.

I think G has passion, desire and skill, but his off ice/season decision making has been things of ill advised foolishness that hasn't given the leadership group a foundation to play with consistancy and ownership to a higher sense than self.

It's ok to have your cake, just make sure you wear your mittons in the process so you don't burn your hands in the offseason.

Possible Lines:

Jake/G/Simmer

Schenn/Filly/Konecny

Raffle/Couts/Weise/Read

36 minutes ago, vis said:

I agree with you. I'm just saying it's not a shocker that Neuvirth was resigned. You're also right in that there is really no one better who is likely to be available to the Flyers. It would have been a worse signing to ink Mason at his current rate for two years, and I really don't think he would have agreed to any substantial drop in salary. Elliott would fare no better than Neuvirth on this Flyers team. I'd echo that sentiment for most goalies.

As far as a Stolarz/Neuvirth combo leading to an ugly season, I agree with that too, but I'm not so willing to blame those two. The rather simple fact is that the current Flyers roster is an ugly mess. They won't be any better next year -- why would they? They're still going to be in a very similar situation to this year.

If anything, there's plenty of reason to suggest they will be worse next year. I'm on board with the hope that Morin, Hagg, Myers, etc will be solid nhl dmen, but very few dmen are good in their first year. Frankly, whichever of them makes the leap, I expect them to suck a lot. I think that's normal and inevitable. Provorov is an anomaly. None of the other d-folk have his level of talent imo. They mostly all have potential, but not Provo potential.

So, yeah, next year's gonna suck. It'll suck regardless of whether Neuvirth or Stolarz or whoever else is in the net. It's going to continue sucking until we get an influx of forward talent and our very green defensive group gets some big league experience.

Neuvy also got a bump in pay to desuade from him being picked at the draft.

This was an off year for him, but both goalies also suffered from their team not scoring at least 2 goals plus a game to help out the goalies for any bad goal that went in this season.

When your scoring 4 or more goals a game, a goalies stats can look like wonders with even an occasinal bad goal in a game, but our goalies had down years coupled with our team having a low scoring slump of a year as well.

The fact that Neuvy gets hurt during the season is on him.

YOU need to take it upon yourself to fix what your doing wrong in your life choices. Diet, exercise, off the clock habbits or lack of.

Recovery and Preventive maintenance can go a long way to sustainable results.

23 hours ago, NRH said:

It may be true, but his career +/- is also positive and that statistic is usually a good sign of a guy that either plays some semblance of defense or takes care of the puck instead of centering it in front of your own goal like some of our guys do on occasion.

He may be soft, but I don't think you have the option of getting a gritty guy any time soon, they sent Hartnell to Columbus.

You make some good points. I hope your assertion is correct. I will say, the Wings teams he played on were strong 2 way teams under Babcock, and the Bolts were a decent team also....sometimes the plus minus is tied to the team, other times it can reveal individual characteristics, like I said, hope you are right.

22 hours ago, vis said:

i don't know anything about Filppula's leadership/lockerroom presence.  Anyone have any insight?  Will he be a good mentor?

I live 2 miles away from Joe Louis, read the Detriot News and Free Press daily, so I have some insight. From what I remember, he was more of a follower type, kinda quiet. I don't think he will provide a strong veteran presence or anything like that, but won't be a cancer either. Perhaps we can get our Wing posters in here to comment, Yave might have more info than I do. 

11 hours ago, radoran said:

I'll wait and see, but an awful lot of what Hextall is talking about with Filppula sounds eeerily reminiscent of what he said about Umburglar...

I trust my eyes more than any "spin" that Hexy might be putting on this deal. Fipps is a very respectable skilled passing center who should generate some much needed offense. Yeah, he does not score all that much, but his vision and stickhandling generate offensive chances. Was pleased to see TFG's comments, cause I have not seen all that much of him since he left the Wings, but guys that can wheel and deal like him rarely lose that skill. The fact TFG was singing his praises made me happy, because he sounds a lot like the guy I watched in Detroit, just with a few more miles on the odometer.  Did not see the game tonight, was out watching the Spits and forgot to record......how did he look?

edit, all I know is that he scored the lone goal.

18 minutes ago, NRH said:

Wonder if they'll keep Weal up even when Koceny is ready to go.

They better, Did you see that shoot-out goal?  geez we don't have many quick wrist shots like he has on the roster. Let alone his foot speed on the ice.

I can see him playing on the Phantoms  for their playoffs if the Flyers don't make it.

3 minutes ago, hf101 said:

They better, Did you see that shoot-out goal?  geez we don't have many quick wrist shots like he has on the roster. Let alone his foot speed on the ice.

I can see him playing on the Phantoms  for their playoffs if the Flyers don't make it.

It seems like he was put on the Phantoms roster for that reason, but it also seems like they're waiting on Koe to get healthy before rushing him back onto the ice, they're both pretty similar "faster than the puck" players.

16 hours ago, vis said:

I think its' probably going to be an ugly season no matter what.  I don't expect that they think Neuwirth is a starter.  I don't know if they think Stolarz is a 35 game backup (aka platooning them) either.  I'd like to think so, but I don't know if I do.

In reality what this smells of to me is simply that Mason wants too long of a contract and Hextall may very well resign him after he tests the waters of free agency.  They may even have a "Gentleman's agreement" situation where there is a deal in place but rather than having to choose between exposing mason and stolarz, they'll just resign Neuwirth and expose him.

NOW, the other theory that is being bandied about is that George McPhee was instrumental in Neuwirth's time in Washington and likes Neuwirth a lot and that this signing may in fact be an under the table type deal between Hextall & McPhee.  

I can't quite buy into that, though I will say 2.45 million is far less than MOST of the other "better" goalies out there.  For comparison purposes, from the Panthers McPhee will have the choice between 3.4 million for Reimer and Luongo and his buyout bait contract at 4.5.  Do you take either of those guys instead?  

This idea of a handshake deal doesn't seem likely to me, BUT I will say that in some wyas McPhee is trapped.  or rather WAS trapped until Hextall made the Streit trade.  Think about it: if I'm mcphee, I have to take someone from the Flyers.  That's the rule.  And I'm getting a choice between Neuwirth at 2.45 and one of the following:

Read, Weise, Cousins, PEB, and Laughton, If those are my options, I'm really not sure what who I'm taking taking their skillsets and contracts into account.

The elephant in the room of course is that these won't be McPhee's choices.  He will now also have one of Raffl or Weal to choose from thanks to the Filppula trade.  If it's me, that's a no brainer.  I take either one of those two over Neuwirth any day of the week (though I do wonder which Hextall with protect and which he will not).  

But I'm not McPhee.  I don't have a relationship with Neuwirth since he was starting out.  In addition, none of us have any idea what's going to be going on with the Golden Knights' lineup by the time they get to the Flyers.  No one does just yet I suppose, so it's all conjecture.  

All this said, I think at the end of the day, Hextall probably just wanted to have his ducks in a row so he could look out for his own team and not worry about needing to make a deal just to satisfy the draft.  

I don't think Filppula was a bad acquisition and not just because he scored.  I think it could help over the next year.  I think he needs to make one more acquisition on D in the off season now and it won't be a fancy one like I'd hoped, but I guess it still could be... who knows.  I'm shocked that he needs to be protected.  I'm really not sure how they're making that determination.

I expect Mason to either resign with the Flyers or Sign with the Dallas Stars on 7/1 or 7/2.  I suppose the Hurricanes are also a possibility.  

I just wish we could protect both Raffl and Weal and I'm not sure which to give up because as I said, if I'm McPhee, whichever one is available is who I'm taking from the Flyers.  

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I'm shocked that he needs to be protected.  I'm really not sure how they're making that determination.

If you mean Fillpula, Hextall made a comment during his post trade presser, that his NMC was still in effect.  Since it is, he must be protected.  That's one of my main issues with acquiring him.  I'd rather protect a young asset than a declining 33/34 year old player.  

11 hours ago, hf101 said:

I'm not sure if the flyers don't have a good wrister in the shootout...they just never do it.  It drives me nuts.  I don't watch too much around the league anymore, but every flyers shootout seems to be won (usually by the other team) by a simple wrist shot in the right spot.  Last night weal and voracek had good quick wrist shots.

Giroux hasn't been very good in the shootout in a while.  I've seen him take a wrist shot once, it was this year, and he scored on it.

38 minutes ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

If you mean Fillpula, Hextall made a comment during his post trade presser, that his NMC was still in effect.  Since it is, he must be protected.  That's one of my main issues with acquiring him.  I'd rather protect a young asset than a declining 33/34 year old player.  

I get that he's on that list, and I get that Hextall said that, I'm still just shocked.  It must have something to do with the wording of his contract because there are plenty of other players with modified no trade clauses that are not required to be protected. Though looking at that list, Yzerman was totally screwed he had like 5 guys that NEEDED to be protected.  

I'm not saying it isn't so, I'm just saying I'm surprised as hell and fairly annoyed.  It's not like he needs it.  Vegas isn't going to draft a 5 million dollar 2C in the last year of his contract. 

I actually now wonder if Hextall could get him to waive it so he can expose him with the belief that there's no way McPhee would take him on.  

Filppula has a modified NTC, and a full NMC. The NTC has no bearing on the need of being protected, whether full or modified. It's the NMC.

15 minutes ago, icehole said:

I'm not sure if the flyers don't have a good wrister in the shootout...they just never do it.  It drives me nuts.  I don't watch too much around the league anymore, but every flyers shootout seems to be won (usually by the other team) by a simple wrist shot in the right spot.  Last night weal and voracek had good quick wrist shots.

Giroux hasn't been very good in the shootout in a while.  I've seen him take a wrist shot once, it was this year, and he scored on it.

The Flyers don't have a good wrister on the team really.  Not the kind you're talking about.  I think they'd be a lot better if they did, but they seem to score on greasy goals, tip ins and slap shots.  If they had someone who could rip one in from the slot, they'd be golden.  It's what they've been missing for a while now.

Weal's was nice, Jake has that move that I just don't get how it works, but he some how Jedi Mind tricks the goalie into not noticing that he just shot the puck and before you know it, it's in.  He doesn't fake or make a move, it's just a really sneak shot and his eyes are going elsewhere.  Works about 50-60% of the time it seems.  

Believe it or not, the Flyers are above .500 in the Shootout this year.  They're tied for the most shootouts and have one 6/10.  That's good enough for the 2nd most shootout wins and 9th best in winning percentage.  Kinda Meh at the end of the day, but they are getting a lot of practice and they're not as god awful as they have been historically.  

Mostly, it's a bit depressing that they end up with so many shoot outs.  You'd hope your team could just you know... win in regulation.

4 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Filppula has a modified NTC, and a full NMC. The NTC has no bearing on the need of being protected, whether full or modified. It's the NMC.

I doubt he will, but I think he could still waive it without any fear of being drafted by Vegas.

38 minutes ago, icehole said:

Personally, I'm looking for someone with a good backhander. We also don't have enough good long snappers!

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

The elephant in the room of course is that these won't be McPhee's choices.  He will now also have one of Raffl or Weal to choose from thanks to the Filppula trade.  If it's me, that's a no brainer.  I take either one of those two over Neuwirth any day of the week (though I do wonder which Hextall with protect and which he will not).  

Protect Weal, expose Raffl. 

We have an abundance of bottom six players, of which Raffl is one. 

We have a lack of top six scorers, of which Weal could be. We know Raffl isn't. 

So, bye bye Raffl.

2 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

Nice! That's a special feeling eh? 

Until you realize it's your own net...

Just Kidding. Yeah, it was nice. I don't score much, so getting a perfect backhander up and over the goalie was pretty fun.

Archived