Flyers Trade Deadline Thread

brelic

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, RJ8812 said:

So Bishop cost LA nothing...if that's the case, why couldn't Hextall top that offer? I know not everyone wants Bishop, but at that price, why not?

The other team has to want what you're giving them, and I wouldn't call Budaj nothing. He's a decent backup for Vasilevsky. The other team has to want what you have, and I doubt they thought that highly of Neuvirth. As long as Hextall sells the "fat" off this team, I don't care who he picks up in a trade.

10 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Just read that LA really wanted Ryan Miller but he reportedly has his heart set on returning to Buffalo.....

That Applebee's there was the difference, supposedly.

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

That Applebee's there was the difference, supposedly.

That and the 342,481 fan letters he has received from a certain someone since he left Buffalo. I heard he was recently offered a pair of shoes if he returned to Buffalo.  :eyeroll:

Flyers should at least snag Teemu Pulkkinen off waivers so they would have a Finn in the system...that is what is wrong and why they ar jinxed......ZERO FINNS...he is on waivers it wouldn't be but for $100 right? Do it if nothing else he could help the Phantoms later!

1 hour ago, OccamsRazor said:

Flyers should at least snag Teemu Pulkkinen off waivers so they would have a Finn in the system...that is what is wrong and why they ar jinxed......ZERO FINNS...he is on waivers it wouldn't be but for $100 right? Do it if nothing else he could help the Phantoms later!

If we pluck him off waivers, we can't waive him for 30 days or he gets returned to his old team

Flyers are 20th in the league right now.  I think if they do nothing at the deadline or do something that makes the team temporarily worse (trading a star for picks), they could move back another 5 spots into 25th by end of season.  That would probably get them a decent pick.  Maybe if they get some good picks at the deadline, they could move up or get 2 or three top 15 draft picks in this draft.

Is that out of the question?

8 minutes ago, icehole said:

Flyers are 20th in the league right now.  I think if they do nothing at the deadline or do something that makes the team temporarily worse (trading a star for picks), they could move back another 5 spots into 25th by end of season.  That would probably get them a decent pick.  Maybe if they get some good picks at the deadline, they could move up or get 2 or three top 15 draft picks in this draft.

Well, I don't think they'll trade a star. Streit is the most likely candidate to go, followed by one of the goalies. I'm not sure how much of an effect those two moves would have on the team's performance relative to the standings over the last quarter of the season. The largest effect will be determined by Giroux's performance down the stretch. If he stays cold, then the team won't see much success. If they continue their current trend, they'll probably slot out at somewhere from 5-8, with an outside chance at a top 3 pick thanks to the lottery.

Given what is already being paid out at the deadline, there's an outside chance they could pick up a first, but more likely they're going to be picking up a couple mid-round picks. I don't think they'd have enough ammunition with those to pick up a second first, but they could conceivably move up further in the first round. Remember, they already have Boston's third and the Isles' 4th this year, so they already have some measure of flexibility.

On 2/25/2017 at 7:36 AM, flyercanuck said:

No. You don't trade a big all around very good defenceman. Period. I keep all of them until we see what we have. But Myers has potential to be top pairing...Ghost doesn't, Morin doesn't, Hagg doesn't.

I think Morin probably does and Hagg might too.  We need to start thinking of these guys in terms of pairsvility. It just pairings.  

You'd sooner trade Ghost than an unproven 29 year old who's already had two concussions?

i'd prefer to see what he's got, too, but we could play this game until 2025 and never make the playoffs again. 

Not saying now, but soon this team has to start being competitive again or else what's the point of all the waiting?  

39 minutes ago, icehole said:

Yes.   This year isn't a good crop anyway. Such is our lot. 

13 hours ago, RJ8812 said:

So Bishop cost LA nothing...if that's the case, why couldn't Hextall top that offer? I know not everyone wants Bishop, but at that price, why not?

Why does Hextall want Bishop?  

Why would LA want Mason or Neuwirth right now?

13 hours ago, FD19372 said:

The other team has to want what you're giving them, and I wouldn't call Budaj nothing. He's a decent backup for Vasilevsky. The other team has to want what you have, and I doubt they thought that highly of Neuvirth. As long as Hextall sells the "fat" off this team, I don't care who he picks up in a trade.

Tampa gets to expose Budaj and protect Vassy.  Win win for them. 

4 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I think Morin probably does and Hagg might too.  We need to start thinking of these guys in terms of pairsvility. It just pairings.  

You'd sooner trade Ghost than an unproven 29 year old who's already had two concussions?

i'd prefer to see what he's got, too, but we could play this game until 2025 and never make the playoffs again. 

Not saying now, but soon this team has to start being competitive again or else what's the point of all the waiting?  

How would you define 'soon'? One year? Three? Five? 

How would you define 'competitive'? Playoff bubble? Top four? Top of the conference?

10 minutes ago, brelic said:

How would you define 'competitive'? Playoff bubble? Top four? Top of the conference?

They needed to make the playoffs this year very badly.  The fact that they will not means to me that they should trade Giroux to wherever he'll go.  He's utterly useless to us now and has become complacent about losing.  Not making the playoffs is the norm for him now.  It's okay.  It's acceptable.  Useless to us.  Trade him to wherever he'll waive for whatever they'll give and try to sign Taveres next summer. 

Conpetitive to means playoffs ASAP before Summer and Jake become useless geldings as Giroux now is.  

I think id like to see an appearance next year and advancement in two.  3-4 years I'd exoect to see a deep run and should hold expectations of that sort for a while to come. 

...With John Tavares the captain. 

The fact act that they miss this year is really atrocious.  It wasn't going to be that hard this year.  The wild card teams that will get in just aren't that good. 

The Flyers and their captain are just worse. They shouldn't be. 

16 minutes ago, brelic said:

I would say they are at a minumum of 3 years away and more likely 5 years.

20 minutes ago, King Knut said:

I think Myers eventually could pair with Provorov and both would be very good at both ends of the ice. Obviously his health would have to be good...here's hoping he doesn't take anymore head shots. I doubt Ghost would respond well to those either. Or anyone else. 

I'd sooner wait to see what we have before we trade any of our defencemen. At least Hextall figured out we had to draft and develop our own dmen and goalies...why sell low when you could have valuable pieces? We could end up trading away the best of the bunch before we even knew it.

I'm not in a rush to make the playoffs...I want a cup contender. If it takes a couple extra years to build it, so be it. I think we need two more quality drafts to fill in future forwards.

They needed to make the playoffs this year very badly.  The fact that they will not means to me that they should trade Giroux to wherever he'll go.

I don't agree with the first sentence - there was no 'need' to make the playoffs, in my mind. Now, if the Flyers had gone all-in and handed out a ridiculous contract to Eriksson, Okposo, or Lucic, and were looking for playoff rental players, I would say they created a 'need' to make the playoffs. But they've done no such thing - in fact, they've done the opposite. For that reason, I don't see a playoff 'need' right now.

And the second sentence is a non-sequitur - why does a playoff miss mean that Giroux should be traded? It seems like you feel he is the problem in a sense, sowing a losing culture. Is that how you see it?

Trade him to wherever he'll waive for whatever they'll give and try to sign Taveres next summer. ... ...With John Tavares the captain. 

Why John Tavares? He's only two years younger (will be 27 when the next season starts), will want a max deal in years and near max in money, and I would wager that he's peaked statistically. In other words, he's probably a few years away from declining.

I don't know, that just doesn't really appeal to me very much. I'd rather keep the continuity we have with Giroux and find someone younger to replace him in a few years. 

The bigger question is whether or not Tavares would have any interest in signing with Philly after trading - yet again - their captain. 

In terms of timeline, it's really hard to gauge things, but I would say 3-5 years away from being a legitimately competitive team - which for me means making the playoffs are never really in doubt, and they have most if not all of the pieces to make some real progress in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, King Knut said:

Why does Hextall want Bishop?  

Why would LA want Mason or Neuwirth right now?

Why wouldn't he want Bishop? It's either him or bring back Mason because there isnt anyone else available via free agency

Archived