Flyers Trade Deadline Thread

brelic

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I have to wonder if anybody wants out slag heap.  You'd think something would have happened by now.  

My take is that everyone was waiting to see what would happen with Shattenkirk; now that that is done, other pieces should start moving.

Mind you, they might also wait to see what Colorado does with their two big names...

I'd trade Couturier for Duchene. Maybe a goalie swap too.

We'd have Giroux, Duchene as 1/2.

Schenn/Duchene/Voracek

Simmonds/G/Konecny

Raffl/Cousins/Read

VV/PEB/Weise

Maybe next year you have Lindblom and/or Rubtsov on the roster which shakes things up. 

Assuming that Washington goes on a deep run, does that 1st and next year's 2nd really seem like a good return for Shattenkirk? Oh and Zach Sanford, who could forget that integral piece :dizzysmiley-1:

I guess what I am getting at, is could St. Louis gotten a better deal out of another team, or this seems like the best that the could have done?

Meanwhile I think our expiring UFA defender's value plummeted. 

5 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

Assuming that Washington goes on a deep run, does that 1st and next year's 2nd really seem like a good return for Shattenkirk? Oh and Zach Sanford, who could forget that integral piece :dizzysmiley-1:

I guess what I am getting at, is could St. Louis gotten a better deal out of another team, or this seems like the best that the could have done?

Maybe - but Shattenkirk is a UFA at season's end, so there's considerable risk in making that trade. For Washington, it's a lot less risky because they are an appealing team and can probably resign him.

The Flyers are not appealing. Do you really think Shattenkirk wouldn't test UFA waters if he was traded here? So we would have spent assets for no reason.

Well, MDZ and Streit were probably not going to garner much anyway. If he was playing like last year, you might have gotten a first out of MDZ, but he has barely played this year. Streit was probably only ever going to net a 2nd or 3rd at best.

I wonder if the Blues are going to try to replace Shattenkirk to make a run, or if they're just going to fold up and go home. They're currently in playoff position, I would think they'd want to show their fans that they're not giving up.

Just now, brelic said:

Maybe - but Shattenkirk is a UFA at season's end, so there's considerable risk in making that trade. For Washington, it's a lot less risky because they are an appealing team and can probably resign him.

The Flyers are not appealing. Do you really think Shattenkirk wouldn't test UFA waters if he was traded here? So we would have spent assets for no reason.

I wasn't advocating the Flyers trade for Shattenkirk. That would be ridiculous in regards to the shape of this team. I was wondering if a Pittsburgh or Boston or Nashville, etc would have given up more between now and tomorrow afternoon.  

I was suggesting that the value of Del Zotto and Striet may have diminished further due to what St. Louis got in return. Assuming that Washington goes to the finals, that 1st is basically a 2nd and Sandford is a throw-away. 

7 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Well, MDZ and Streit were probably not going to garner much anyway. If he was playing like last year, you might have gotten a first out of MDZ, but he has barely played this year. Streit was probably only ever going to net a 2nd or 3rd at best.

I wonder if the Blues are going to try to replace Shattenkirk to make a run, or if they're just going to fold up and go home. They're currently in playoff position, I would think they'd want to show their fans that they're not giving up.

St. Louis is going to have to replace him. I wonder if they could have gotten a #1 goalie and a 3/4 defenseman and a pick for Shattenkirk?

****Edit**** This may be why I will never be the GM of a team because I would have over paid for Shattenkirk's services. 

1 minute ago, Bertmega said:

I wasn't advocating the Flyers trade for Shattenkirk. That would be ridiculous in regards to the shape of this team. I was wondering if a Pittsburgh or Boston or Nashville, etc would have given up more between now and tomorrow afternoon.  

I was suggesting that the value of Del Zotto and Striet may have diminished further due to what St. Louis got in return. Assuming that Washington goes to the finals, that 1st is basically a 2nd and Sandford is a throw-away. 

Oh sorry I misread!

Yes, MDZ and Streit might have diminished value. I'm guessing a 2nd/3rd for either of those guys. 

Just now, Bertmega said:

St. Louis is going to have to replace him. I wonder if they could have gotten a #1 goalie and a 3/4 defenseman and a pick for Shattenkirk?

Not from a team looking to make a run. Shattenkirk has been seemingly pretty adamant about testing the market, so no non-playoff team would give that up to get him, unless they were on expiring contracts. And I think St. Louis got a better deal here. If they want to pick up a Mason and Streit, for example, they should be able to get them with lower picks than what they acquired in the Shattenkirk deal.

2 minutes ago, brelic said:

Oh sorry I misread!

Yes, MDZ and Streit might have diminished value. I'm guessing a 2nd/3rd for either of those guys. 

That is where I am at. I think if the Flyers got a 2nd that would be considered a good day for Hextall. 

1 minute ago, AJgoal said:

Not from a team looking to make a run. Shattenkirk has been seemingly pretty adamant about testing the market, so no non-playoff team would give that up to get him, unless they were on expiring contracts. And I think St. Louis got a better deal here. If they want to pick up a Mason and Streit, for example, they should be able to get them with lower picks than what they acquired in the Shattenkirk deal.

I wouldn't expect a non-playoff team to throw their name in the hat for the guy. He clearly was going to a buyer. I thought we would see a blockbuster deal like M.A.F., Ian Cole and a 2nd going to St. Louis for Shattenkirk. 

Just now, Bertmega said:

I wouldn't expect a non-playoff team to throw their name in the hat for the guy. He clearly was going to a buyer. I thought we would see a blockbuster deal like M.A.F., Ian Cole and a 2nd going to St. Louis for Shattenkirk. 

OK, that I could see. Pittsburgh has a serious cap problem right now, and they have to move MAF. I'll be interested to see if they get better than pennies on the dollar for him.

29 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

That conditional 2nd rounder is also a 2019 pick, Washington doesn't have a 2017 or 18 2nd rounder lol

1 minute ago, sekkes85 said:

That conditional 2nd rounder is also a 2019 pick, Washington doesn't have a 2017 or 18 2nd rounder lol

Ah the old Holmgren approach to team building.... 2nd rounders are like an anchor lol

27 minutes ago, brelic said:

I'd trade Couturier for Duchene. Maybe a goalie swap too.

We'd have Giroux, Duchene as 1/2.

Schenn/Duchene/Voracek

Simmonds/G/Konecny

Raffl/Cousins/Read

VV/PEB/Weise

Maybe next year you have Lindblom and/or Rubtsov on the roster which shakes things up. 

I really think folks are overvaluing Duchene. Don't get me wrong, he's very good, but I have a hard time thinking he's better than Giroux. I do understand G is having a down year. That stuff happens. I feel folks are jumping the gun with regards to his talent on the basis of one down year. I also feel the need to point out he really has a shotty at best supporting cast. A sniper Raffl is not.

That said, I would also trade Coots for Duchene, but I don't think Colorado will. Coots used to have the benefit of potential, but much of that has likely run its course by now. He's got the age thing still going for him, but that's about it. Duchene on the other hand has a number of years of good offensive numbers, if defensively questionable ones. I think Colorado can get more if and when they do trade him. I don't imagine it'll happen until the off season.

20 minutes ago, brelic said:

Shattenkirk could very easily end up being a rental. I imagine they will try to resign him, but they're mostly in win-now mode.

19 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Parayko is waiting in the wings to take up Shattenkirk's spot. I expect they'll give him the reins for a while to see if he pans out. He's already shown considerable promise with fairly limited quality playtime.

I really think folks are overvaluing Duchene. Don't get me wrong, he's very good, but I have a hard time thinking he's better than Giroux. I do understand G is having a down year. That stuff happens. I feel folks are jumping the gun with regards to his talent on the basis of one down year. I also feel the need to point out he really has a shotty at best supporting cast. A sniper Raffl is not.

I agree - I'm not in the 'trade Giroux' camp. With a guy like Duchene, you have a solid 1/2 combo either way, or a 1A/1B.

Coots straight up probably doesn't get it done, but I"m sure Hextall can put together some sort of package that would. And I also agree that it's probably an off-season move for both teams.

Shattenkirk could very easily end up being a rental. I imagine they will try to resign him, but they're mostly in win-now mode.

That's true - and it's not exactly a steep price for a rental of his calibre, especially given how good Washington is.

1 minute ago, flyer4ever said:

the silence is deafening. not even a whiff of a team trying to get better.

better for this year ?  better for the long term ?

Mark Streit's salary is off the books MDZ's salary is off the books, Mason, Neuvirth, Shultz and Gordon.

If they do nothing and gain all that salary cap space...  i think they are/can be better.

If a deal isn't awesome why make it ?

I understand trying to an asset for those guys, but getting rid of those guys is also an asset of sorts too.

Alas CBJ isn't going to trade us Brendan Saad for Andrew MacDonald...this is the sucky part of rebuilding from within.

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

better for this year ?  better for the long term ?

Mark Streit's salary is off the books MDZ's salary is off the books, Mason, Neuvirth, Shultz and Gordon.

If they do nothing and gain all that salary cap space...  i think they are/can be better.

If a deal isn't awesome why make it ?

I understand trying to an asset for those guys, but getting rid of those guys is also an asset of sorts too.

Alas CBJ isn't going to trade us Brendan Saad for Andrew MacDonald...this is the sucky part of rebuilding from within.

Could not agree more.

I really don't see many deals to be made here.   Maybe Streit will garner some interest.   

With Bishop going to LA the goalie market is pretty much dead.   You aren't going to get all that much....

At the end of the year it is a win in the "addition by subtraction" column.    

We don't don't have many assets that are really that attractive and the ones we do have are not up for grabs.

I mean if these guys like Streit, Del Zotto are are UFA and we are not going to resign them I rather just get something for them at least.

**** get a 6th or a 7th idc just get something for them rather then just sit on your hands hextall.

I really do not care about making the playoffs just to get bounced out of the 1st round in 4 games anyway.

I really love that Hextall is not pulling a Holmgren every trade deadline and letting the young guys develop but this notion of not doing anything all the time is kind of annoying in itself.

Trade these players off for scrap get something at least make some waves.

6 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

I mean if these guys like Streit, Del Zotto are are UFA and we are not going to resign them I rather just get something for them at least.

**** get a 6th or a 7th idc just get something for them rather then just sit on your hands hextall.

I really do not care about making the playoffs just to get bounced out of the 1st round in 4 games anyway.

I really love that Hextall is not pulling a Holmgren every trade deadline and letting the young guys develop but this notion of not doing anything all the time is kind of annoying in itself.

Trade these players off for scrap get something at least make some waves.

Maybe they can't even get scraps for them........

Hands may be tied that way....

8 minutes ago, fan4ever said:

Maybe they can't even get scraps for them........

Hands may be tied that way....

Exactly. I don't think it's a case of Hextall not doing anything.

It's more likely that no one wants what he's selling.

Plus, there's 24 hours left, and we know that 90% of trade deadlines deals go down hours/minutes before the deadline.

Archived