Flyers Trade Deadline Thread

brelic

6 minutes ago, brelic said:

Exactly. I don't think it's a case of Hextall not doing anything.

It's more likely that no one wants what he's selling.

Plus, there's 24 hours left, and we know that 90% of trade deadlines deals go down hours/minutes before the deadline.

I don't care if most of what they get are 4th round picks. SEEEELLLLL!!!!

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Could not agree more.

I really don't see many deals to be made here.   Maybe Streit will garner some interest.   

With Bishop going to LA the goalie market is pretty much dead.   You aren't going to get all that much....

At the end of the year it is a win in the "addition by subtraction" column.    

We don't don't have many assets that are really that attractive and the ones we do have are not up for grabs.

Exactly.  I see Streit as the only potential move.  There are no contenders that need a goalie now and teams that are not playoff bound are not going to send an asset for a goalie(s) that are going to hit the market at the end of this season.  MacDonald's contract is too rich so he is a no go.  MDZ has either been unhealthy or ineffective this season.  If it wasn't for the Flyers taking a chance on him late in FA a couple years ago he was on his way out of the league.  Not exactly a guy teams are going to have much interest in.  They likely have equally capable options within their organization.  Same can be said about Nick Schultz regarding in house options.  Franchise altering trades like a trade of Giroux, Voracek, etc are more likely to happen in the offseason after teams get a chance to fully evaluate their needs going forward.  

Just now, brelic said:

Exactly. I don't think it's a case of Hextall not doing anything.

It's more likely that no one wants what he's selling.

Plus, there's 24 hours left, and we know that 90% of trade deadlines deals go down hours/minutes before the deadline.

And The Flyers have a game tonight. Might be playing into nothing happening at the moment.

Also, how many of Hextall's deals have we known about before they happened?

8 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

And The Flyers have a game tonight. Might be playing into nothing happening at the moment.

That's right - he runs a tight ship in terms of information leaks. 

"We like our team. The locker room is great. It's hard for me to tell you guys we like our team when the results aren't there. But we like the way we play, and we like the way we play as a team, and I really think we can do great things."

-Claude Giroux, 2/27/17

Just something to chew on. This quote is interesting to me..... Does he actually believe that? I mean, "liking" the guy sitting next to you is one thing. Liking the way they have been playing is another......

1 minute ago, MaineFlyFan said:

we like the way we play as a team

this part actually disturbs me very much.....how can you like the way you play when you can't score 5 on 5????  If you like the way you play then that tells me this team is complacent and accepts losing.  Let me tell you...if I was on that team I would be throwing crap around.....I hate to lose even at checkers and board games....Hell if hockey was my job and we were losing the way this team is losing I would be one p--off player.  I don't like this comment at all .........   IF that is his mindset then screw him...time to ship him out..... and this coming from our supposed captain.....????? :dizzysmiley-1: :dizzysmiley-1:

1 hour ago, flyercanuck said:

Aren't most deals made the day of the deadline? Relax.

I think most of here remember the old Clarkie days where a big name was coming in. Then the Holmgren era was more like Clarke light where he did his wheeling and dealing during free agency. Hextall, well, is neither. Not that there's  anything wrong with that....

The trade deadline used to be like the season opener with much anticipation and much to ponder. Now it's meh. I guess this is due to the fact that the Flyers haven't been considered "buyers" in a few years.

If he picks up some solid picks, it's a win from my vantage point. 

1 hour ago, PhilsFanDrew said:

Exactly.  I see Streit as the only potential move.  There are no contenders that need a goalie now and teams that are not playoff bound are not going to send an asset for a goalie(s) that are going to hit the market at the end of this season.  MacDonald's contract is too rich so he is a no go.  MDZ has either been unhealthy or ineffective this season.  If it wasn't for the Flyers taking a chance on him late in FA a couple years ago he was on his way out of the league.  Not exactly a guy teams are going to have much interest in.  They likely have equally capable options within their organization.  Same can be said about Nick Schultz regarding in house options.  Franchise altering trades like a trade of Giroux, Voracek, etc are more likely to happen in the offseason after teams get a chance to fully evaluate their needs going forward.  

I think the Shattenkirk deal ups the ante a bit.  Teams will be taking chances on Streit and MDZ I think.

38 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Total agreement.  I think there are probably a few things on the table.  One or two might even pan out.  But they won't pull any triggers until after tonight's game.  They have til 3 tomorrow.  

Just saw this on twitter...

NHLSourcesSay Retweeted Joe Farabaugh

you could probably hear the crickets in Philly now...https://twitter.com/hockeyj216/status/836637869414436864 

NHLSourcesSay added,

Joe Farabaugh @hockeyj216
@NHLSourcesSay Any whispers coming out of Philly? Is Hexy just twiddling his thumbs over there?

I guess we are not the only ones wondering what Hexy is doing/thinking

21 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

"We like our team. The locker room is great. It's hard for me to tell you guys we like our team when the results aren't there. But we like the way we play, and we like the way we play as a team, and I really think we can do great things."

-Claude Giroux, 2/27/17

Just something to chew on. This quote is interesting to me..... Does he actually believe that? I mean, "liking" the guy sitting next to you is one thing. Liking the way they have been playing is another......

It's a strange statement.  I don't expect him to blame anyone outright, but it is strange to put it those terms considering how terrible they've been.  Like not even a little bad.  Just god awful.  

12 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

I think most of here remember the old Clarkie days where a big name was coming in. Then the Holmgren was more Clarke light and did his wheeling and dealing during free agency. Hextall, well, is neither. Not that there's  anything wrong with that....

The trade deadline to me was like the season opener. Much anticipated. Much to ponder. 

Now it's meh. I guess this is due to the fact that the Flyers haven't been considered "buyers" in years.

For the past 4 or 5 years it's been exciting to anticipate WHO MIGHT BE HEADING OUT OF TOWN, not who might be coming in.

32 minutes ago, MaineFlyFan said:

-Claude Giroux, 2/27/17

pass some of that over G!!!!!

200.webp#11

We can still buy.... just not in the traditional sense that we were used to.  I wouldn't mind seeing them go after Duclair depending on the price.  Potential explosive, young, LW.... of course he seems to have fallen flat on his face in terms of development but he is only 21 years old and has has tons of potential.  Arizona has made it known he is available and he could probably use a change of scenery after this year in the desert.  

5 hours ago, brelic said:

Maybe - but Shattenkirk is a UFA at season's end, so there's considerable risk in making that trade. For Washington, it's a lot less risky because they are an appealing team and can probably resign him.

The Flyers are not appealing. Do you really think Shattenkirk wouldn't test UFA waters if he was traded here? So we would have spent assets for no reason.

Well that's just sad.  I remember a day when the flyers were a top 5 NHL destination for good hockey.  Just sad.

14 minutes ago, icehole said:

Well that's just sad.  I remember a day when the flyers were a top 5 NHL destination for good hockey.  Just sad.

That day will come again. And it will be great.

For me, the Flyers aren't a 'seasonal' thing. While each new 'season' offers hope and a clean slate, it's all part of the Flyers narrative that's been going on for 50 years. It has natural peaks and valleys. It's like a lifelong friendship.

We're in a valley now. There's nothing any of us can do about it.

But we won't be there forever. 

6 hours ago, Bertmega said:

Ah the old Holmgren approach to team building.... 2nd rounders are like an anchor lol

You're laughing at a team that has been seriously contending for a decade now, and sees the need to add some defense to take it the distance, so they go out and pick up an all star for some nobodys, a late first rounder, and some conditional picks?  Hahahaha...that's funny.

I hope Washington wins the cup.  I think their GM has done a pretty good job and they deserve it by now.

Archived