Flyers Trade Deadline Thread

brelic

On 2/27/2017 at 11:19 AM, King Knut said:

The playoffs should be happening now. They're simply not this bad

Respectfully, I disagree.  I don't think they are as good as they lucked through last year.  And honestly, the only reason they made the playoffs last year is because something was wrong with Columbus. 

The team outside of a small handful has no skill.  They are a team that can ride a wave - - like the 10-game streak this year or the last 2 months last year -- or can be swept over by it. 

But it's currently a badly flawed team.  Currently, save a couple, it's a band of readily forgettable players. All teams, even successful ones, have them. But successful teams don't have the volume of them. 

Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Konecny, and Schenn have some skill. Arguably,  only Voracek and Giroux are first line players, though. And I'm not sure they go together well. 

Then the drop off, particularly offensively, is significant. There is just not enough there to do it consistently. 

And that's just the forwards.  On the backend there's Provorov and Gudas. I like Ghost, but he's half a player. That's okay on a deeper team, but fatal when he's arguably your #3 defenseman. 

The rest simply aren't that good. I truly believe help is on the way, but as currently constituted there's just not the skill to get it done consistently. 

And then the goalies. Same story. They have flashes, even Leighton had them. But ultimately they're mediocre goalies.  That's probably enough on a better team, but it's not on this. 

The team isn't strong enough in any one area to compensate for its barely or below average status in other aspects. 

All that to say I don't believe the skill is there. And the team is constituted in such a way that it tends to magnify--or at least expose - - its weaknesses rather than what moderate strengths it may have. 

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hm. Another potential D target: Jason Garrison? Next year at 4.6 million. Should be able to get something else out of Tampa that way. Filppula is another option there at C.

3 hours ago, AJgoal said:

Hm. Another potential D target: Jason Garrison?

I hate him, but mostly because he kills the Flyers.

I think he would be a great"mentor" type. 

This begs the question, how dire is the cap situation in Tampa ? Does Stevie have to take pennies on the dollar for a lot of good players because he has more good players to sign ?

I reckon that's a good problem to have," which of my team and a half full of really good players" do I want to keep ?

I remember the great Crunch teams from about 4-5 years ago, a lot of those guys are with the big club now, 

I'm hoping this becomes our lot as well.

5 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Timmy P is reporting that Couts just left the ice and a trade might be coming.... all the Couts haters rejoice!!!

Ugh, there goes another jersey.  If he is traded it better involve a sniper coming back this way...

Just now, sekkes85 said:

Ugh, there goes another jersey.  If he is traded it better involve a sniper coming back this way...

They said he left the ice after only a few minutes out there.   Honestly, I would not worry about him being traded yet.   He could also be banged up a bit from last night....  We will see soon enough.

11 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

They said he left the ice after only a few minutes out there.   Honestly, I would not worry about him being traded yet.   He could also be banged up a bit from last night....  We will see soon enough.

Probably had to take a poo.

Sam Carchidi

Trainer McCrossin now back on bench; he apparently checked out Coots. Raffl also not on ice. #Flyers

Aint nothing happening today boys and girls. Flyers are saying they have have a push left in them to make the playoffs so they can get bounced out of the 1st round in 4 games....

9 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Respectfully, I disagree.  I don't think they are as good as they lucked through last year.  And honestly, the only reason they made the playoffs last year is because something was wrong with Columbus. 

The team outside of a small handful has no skill.  They are a team that can ride a wave - - like the 10-game streak this year or the last 2 months last year -- or can be swept over by it. 

But it's currently a badly flawed team.  Currently, save a couple, it's a band of readily forgettable players. All teams, even successful ones, have them. But successful teams don't have the volume of them. 

Giroux, Voracek, Simmonds, Konecny, and Schenn have some skill. Arguably,  only Voracek and Giroux are first line players, though. And I'm not sure they go together well. 

Then the drop off, particularly offensively, is significant. There is just not enough there to do it consistently. 

And that's just the forwards.  On the backend there's Provorov and Gudas. I like Ghost, but he's half a player. That's okay on a deeper team, but fatal when he's arguably your #3 defenseman. 

The rest simply aren't that good. I truly believe help is on the way, but as currently constituted there's just not the skill to get it done consistently. 

And then the goalies. Same story. They have flashes, even Leighton had them. But ultimately they're mediocre goalies.  That's probably enough on a better team, but it's not on this. 

The team isn't strong enough in any one area to compensate for its barely or below average status in other aspects. 

All that to say I don't believe the skill is there. And the team is constituted in such a way that it tends to magnify--or at least expose - - its weaknesses rather than what moderate strengths it may have. 

I don't disagree to a certain level.  I don't think they're a terribly talented team and their lack of skill (especially with the puck) has been a curse for decades now.  

I do however think they're more talented than a lot of the teams their losing to (not the capitals or the penguins mind you, but many).  

Even the Penguins game... they actually didn't need to lose that game but for a few key and absolutely atrocious screw ups.

As I've said, I don't think this team is a competitor, but I do think they should be able to skate with the likes of the Maple Leafs, Bruins and maybe even the Senators.  

I think this team gets WORLDs better with two maybe three key acquisitions.

A) They need a forward (preferably a LW, but a C would do) who can shoot the puck and hit a corder with some velocity.  I know this is true of the entire league, but the fact of the matter is that is seems most teams have a couple of guys who can do this when they get a clean shot.   The Flyers seem to have a team full of stone handed Raffls who can shoot it into a goalie's chest or miss the net entirely.    BUT I think this is mostly because...

B) They need a veteran Stay at Home Defenseman to balance out the pairings and stabilize the defensive zone coverage and hopefully shepherd along the likes of Morin and Hagg over the next two years.  This will give them a better offensive attack as it would not require all three forwards to fully collapse into the D zone on every shift, thus giving the ones that do collapse or the more agile skating puck moving D partner (Provo, Ghost, Sanheim) someone to pass to.  

C) They need veteran leadership from a guy who's been there, hates to lose and has an urgent desire to win.  I want Justin Williams as he looks poised to win his 4th damn cup with 3 different teams, but he's a RW and he's scoring like a fiend in that potent Washington Offense this year and will no doubt look for a ton of money (which we might have depending on the next 24 hours) and more than two years (which we probably shouldn't give him).  

The likes of Lindblom and Rubstov are very promising to this offense.  I don't know how soon we see them.  I'm hoping they're both at LEAST phantoms next year, but depending on what happens with the Vegas draft, we may get to see one of them sooner.

I agree that the Vandevelde's and Bellemares and Cousinses and Laughtons and Weises and even the Reads and Raffls of the world need not apply.  If Belly, Read and Raffl were our 4th line and Weise was the 13th forward in the press box, we'd be in much better shape.  

I like how Weal is looking in the pros, but his size concerns me, especially on a team that already will be playing TK in the top 6.  

EDIT:  That is to say Toronto isn't that talented YET (give them time unfortunately) and Boston's talent level has probably passed them by at this point.  

8 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

Sam Carchidi

Trainer McCrossin now back on bench; he apparently checked out Coots. Raffl also not on ice. #Flyers

Aint nothing happening today boys and girls. Flyers are saying they have have a push left in them to make the playoffs so they can get bounced out of the 1st round in 4 games....

AKA Playoff revenue!:thumbsu:

9 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

Sam Carchidi

Yup.... I think you are spot on Philly....    nothing gonna happen.

9 minutes ago, murraycraven said:

Yup.... I think you are spot on Philly....    nothing gonna happen.

I have never seen a team fight so hard to just be mediocre.... I could see if the rest of the Phantom prospects and Lindblom and Ruby where here so they could gain some playoff experience.

That is not the case we have Provy and Konecny that is it that might benefit from some playoff exp...

Two players that is it, not worth making the playoffs this year its not I'm sorry.

Make some trades, get some late round picks idc just do not fight and lose spots in the draft to get your ass whooped in the first round its madness.

Just now, Philly29 said:

I have never seen a team fight so hard to just be mediocre....

LOL!!! Love that line b/c it is 100% true.   Not sure what to think... we have a few hours left but I dont see anything happening.   Ol' Ronald is going to sit on his hands and hope for a playoff spot.    Being stuck in neutral is really not that fun...

At this point I am expecting him to give Streit and MDZ an extension.

20 minutes ago, Philly29 said:

Sam Carchidi

Any push that requires a 10 game losing streak from the teams above you is no push at all.  

I don't think Couts or Raffl are being traded.  I think in a game when they were up 3-0 halfway through the first, there was no need to bring them back if they had so much as a hang nail.

1 hour ago, mojo1917 said:

I hate him, but mostly because he kills the Flyers.

I think he would be a great"mentor" type. 

This begs the question, how dire is the cap situation in Tampa ? Does Stevie have to take pennies on the dollar for a lot of good players because he has more good players to sign ?

I reckon that's a good problem to have," which of my team and a half full of really good players" do I want to keep ?

I remember the great Crunch teams from about 4-5 years ago, a lot of those guys are with the big club now, 

I'm hoping this becomes our lot as well.

Tampa and Stevie Y agreeably have cap issues. What they also have is realistic appraisals of their team. He is looking at his roster 1 player at a time and making decisions on whether each player can help win a Cup, not finish 8th. 

I just want what is best for the team like we all do.

Making the playoffs this year is not one of them.

Unless Giroux wakes up along with Vorachek and Schenn grows a pair of balls then we might make it to the 2nd round.....maybe.

Archived