Flyers Trade Deadline Thread

brelic

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

A better question might be: Why the hell would Filppula want to play in Philly instead of Toronto?  

Toronto has a great young core of players and is trending upward in a big way. Philly seems to be about to rebuild again.

Filppula = idiot.  Hope he breaks his leg or something in his first game. 

Maybe Filppula didn't want to play for Babcock again, that's why he wouldn't waive his NMC to go to the Leafs! As good as Babcock is, there are some players who don't like him or the way he coaches.

5 minutes ago, icehole said:

I'm just trying to figure out how this move makes the flyers achieve any goal.   Can you think of any possibilities?  First, 4th and 7th picks may as well be skittles and French fries...they mean nothing.  Then, he takes a contract that could have been dropped in 20 games, but decides to take on a $5m for an extra season of a player that won't do anything.  I can't figure it out.

No.  Not really.  This is why I think there are issues at play and relevant moves further down the line that we may just not be aware of.

It's very possible that a 4th and a 7th were the best offer Hextall got for Streit and he had to give Tampa the Cap help to get it.  I doubt it, but it's possible.  

More than that I assume there's something else at play.

1 minute ago, Lindbergh31 said:

Maybe Filppula didn't want to play for Babcock again, that's why he wouldn't waive his NMC to go to the Leafs! As good as Babcock is, there are some players who don't like him or the way he coaches.

Good point. I wonder if teams confer with their head coach before making such moves to see if any prior conflicts existed. :)

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I don't like the Streit trade, at all.   Yeah, we get some garbage round picks out it, but I don't like the salary coming back unless he's being flipped.   It makes absolutely no sense to me.

Wasn't the point to LOSE an contract?   Not bring another 5M back for an additional year....   

1 minute ago, murraycraven said:

Wasn't the point to LOSE an contract?   Not bring another 5M back for an additional year....   

I don't get it on any level.  I'm starting to think Hextall...

Draft:  Good

Trade:   #### ## ### ##### ## # ####

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

No.  Not really.  This is why I think there are issues at play and relevant moves further down the line that we may just not be aware of.

It's very possible that a 4th and a 7th were the best offer Hextall got for Streit and he had to give Tampa the Cap help to get it.  I doubt it, but it's possible.  

More than that I assume there's something else at play.

But is a 4th and 7th worth paying $5m on a declining player. 

I know you're just spitballing but I don't see the silver lining.

@caluso

just started a thread calling Hextall a patsy.

I laughed so hard water came out my nose. 

It certainly looks like he was schooled by Stevie Y.

I hope to hell there is more dealing to come.

I'm certainly not interested in watching Jake and Flip and G pass the puck to each other for 10 minutes a night next season

5 minutes ago, icehole said:

But is a 4th and 7th worth paying $5m on a declining player. 

I know you're just spitballing but I don't see the silver lining.

I don't see a silver lining either.  But I also don't see any dark rain clouds of doom.

At worst it seems like a neutral deal that doesn't help my dream of singing someone like Williams.  

5 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

@caluso

just started a thread calling Hextall a patsy.

I laughed so hard water came out my nose. 

It certainly looks like he was schooled by Stevie Y.

I hope to hell there is more dealing to come.

I'm certainly not interested in watching Jake and Flip and G pass the puck to each other for 10 minutes a night next season

What is this insistence that one GM is always getting the better of another GM?  Did Hextall School Yzerman two years ago?  Did he School Lombardi?  

I still don't see how this deal hurts the Flyers.  I didn't see them signing any free agents or trading for Duchene or Landeskog.

The possibility that it helped the Lightning from a cap perspective isn't unrealistic, and sometimes GMs do make deals to help each other out.

I'll say that I'd be surprised if Hextall made this deal with the belief that VF would have to be protected.  

I'll also say that adding him doesn't hurt the team.  

How pathetic is it that a guy with 7 effing goals this season is automatically slotted as 2C?  Man, this team may be in worse shape than any of thought.  And he's 5th in scoring on the team..with 7 goals.

Just now, DaGreatGazoo said:

How pathetic is it that a guy with 7 effing goals this season is automatically slotted as 2C?  Man, this team may be in worse shape than any of thought.  And he's 5th in scoring on the team..with 7 goals.

I have literally no faith in Hextall whatsoever anymore.   I was suspect in the beginning even with some of his deals but this is just stupid.

Just now, King Knut said:

What is this insistence that one GM is always getting the better of another GM?  Did Hextall School Yzerman two years ago?  Did he School Lombardi?  

I still don't see how this deal hurts the Flyers.  I didn't see them signing any free agents or trading for Duchene or Landeskog.

The possibility that it helped the Lightning from a cap perspective isn't unrealistic, and sometimes GMs do make deals to help each other out.

I'll say that I'd be surprised if Hextall made this deal with the belief that VF would have to be protected.  

I'll also say that adding him doesn't hurt the team.  

It hurts the team because it's 5 million dollars they might not have for next year.  

It's not a long term thing which is good, but man, this is like buying out Briere and then signing VLC.  They had 5 million coming off the books to use, and they just burned it on a player that has 7 goals, and is on a 3 year points decline.  

Just now, DaGreatGazoo said:

It hurts the team because it's 5 million dollars they might not have for next year.  

It's not a long term thing which is good, but man, this is like buying out Briere and then signing VLC.  They had 5 million coming off the books to use, and they just burned it on a player that has 7 goals, and is on a 3 year points decline.  

perfect correlation!

So what if 51 actually plays like a 2c and helps the PP2 out?  What if he is dealt next year at the trade deadline for a 2nd or early 3rd?  I will wait until I post judgment.  I am also going to assume if there was a better offer from another team perhaps Hexy would have done it.  Perhaps the Pens never wanted to deal with the Flyers? 

I am more upset with having 22 for 3 more years than a declining 2C for one more year.  If only 10 or 14 lived up to be an actual 2C...

1 minute ago, King Knut said:

The possibility that it helped the Lightning from a cap perspective isn't unrealistic, and sometimes GMs do make deals to help each other out

I think adding a 33 year old play maker to a team in need of finishers is not wise.

I think Mark Striet's 5 million was coming off the books this year, and with that, perhaps some salary cap wiggle room would allow for moves that could help the team in terms of acquiring a vet presence D-man or a LW with some finishing capabilities.

Now that doesn't seem realistic. Flip hasn't been awesome this year and is not a bad player, I just don't see where he helps this group.

I also don't like that the Flyers are paying some of Striet's salary while he's playing for Pgh.  That is probably the most offensive part to me. 

Unless there is more to come I don't see this trade as worth it or helpful to the Flyers.

3 minutes ago, off_the_post said:

So what if 51 actually plays like a 2c and helps the PP2 out?  What if he is dealt next year at the trade deadline for a 2nd or early 3rd?  I will wait until I post judgment.  I am also going to assume if there was a better offer from another team perhaps Hexy would have done it.  Perhaps the Pens never wanted to deal with the Flyers? 

I am more upset with having 22 for 3 more years than a declining 2C for one more year.  If only 10 or 14 lived up to be an actual 2C...

And based on his play the last few years makes you believe he can actually play like a 2C?   

His best year after his breakout was 12 goals... For a 2C that is even older now he ain't getting better.

He is a passer on a team of passers....And the worst part is we have to protect him from the expansion

Just now, murraycraven said:

And based on his play the last few years makes you believe he can actually play like a 2C?   

Can't be any worse that our current 2C whether it be 10 (who gets PP1 time and leads the league in PP goals I believe) or 14 for which 51 has almost the double the amount of points. 

I see this as a stop gap.  I don't know if they could have found a better 1 year stop gap center in free agency next year. 

Absolutely hope this guy finds something deep in the bottom of his tank that turns him around.. 
I'd love to see the "plan" for the Flyers. right now I think it's a blank chalk board and hexy not seeing the last 3 years in his stat sheet for Floppy.  

Archived