Flyers Trade Deadline Thread

brelic

7 minutes ago, brelic said:

I've come around this move and I think Hextall did a smart thing.

He got a 4th and 7th for an expiring UFA, plus he filled the 2C position for the very short term.

Like others have said, it's an admission that Couturier just isn't a 2C in the NHL, and that's a positive step forward. At Coots' current price tag for a 3C, maybe you look at moving him in the offseason.

In any case, it would have been much worse to go fishing during UFA silly season. You'd end up overpaying for an aging vet AND have him for 5+ years.

The commitment to Filppula is only next season. 

Konecny/Giroux/Simmonds

Schenn/Filppula/Voracek 

Or any combination thereof. That could be a decent top 6.

If nothing else, it definitely means Coots doesn't need to be a 2C. We now have someone who has filled that role and who can fill that role for next year. If Coots wants to prove all the haters wrong and finally show some spark, now's the time to do it. He'll have to work for it this time around.

As it was this year, he was largely the only option at that position. I'm not sure that's much of a motivator to get better. Who knows, maybe the competition will bring out the best in him. I'm willing to entertain that possibility.

Besides, I've long said that Coots is not a bad player at all. His main issue is simply that he's too slow to play at this level vs elite competition. In watching him play, it really feels as if he got to this point because he is intelligent and has great positioning. That's good enough to get you to the NHL maybe, but it isn't enough to play vs other grown men who are highly highly conditioned.

Get some power skating in, improve your overall conditioning and maybe you can regain that 2C position. I somehow doubt it, but I'd much rather see him try than not.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This sums it up nicely... 

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/flyers/20170302_Ford__Flyers_don_t_get_much_help_at_deadline.html

There's a lot still to fix with the Flyers, and even Hextall would admit not much of it got done Wednesday. He made the phone calls, worked the corners, and came away with Valtteri Filppula.

"We tried to do a lot of things," Hextall said. "We were looking toward the future, but we weren't going to give players away for nothing."

Instead, he took a patient approach. They didn't really buy, and they didn't really sell at the deadline. They just moved around some money, made a minor trade, and tore another day from the calendar that separates them from the arrival of all those talented prospects. It wasn't exciting, but there have been years when the Flyers did a lot more and ended up with a lot less.

12 hours ago, Howie58 said:

Here is another possible take on the Flippula signing--this is a 20 game tryout with buyout possible if it doesn't pan out. See post from TSN.ca and our former Inquirer reporter, Frank Seravali:

http://www.tsn.ca/flyers-acquire-filppula-from-lightning-1.684783

There was talk he was going to be bought out at end of year.  That makes the acquisition more suspect in some ways but put the end of season as an audition.

Shakes head...(not at you Howie, at Seravelli) Why on earth would Hextall trade an expiring $5 million contract for one he has to buyout for a measly 4th and conditional 7th? 

11 hours ago, AJgoal said:

There is absolutely no reason to consider buying out Filppula this offseason. If you must exercise a buyout, you buyout MacDonald, because you will almost have to at some point before his contract expires anyway. Filppula is one more year. You can play him for that long. Tampa would have needed to buy him out not because of the NMC, but because they would have serious issues re-signing their young players this offseason. I'd say it's lazy reporting, but it's Seravelli,, which is synonymous.

Read this after Howies post...well said AJ.

21 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

I'm glad to see calmer heads prevailing after a good nights sleep and/or (drinks! :beer:

I think this is the important take away and @brelic nailed it.  I think the other piece here is that Neuvy was signed to an extension and I think Mason is gone after this season.  Next year you have Neuvy and Stolie in goalie and waiting in the wings is Carter Hart. 

I still believe once the expansion draft has come and gone, we will have a much clearer picture of what Hexy wants to do.

Yes.

Besides he can also kick out to LW if need be.

And in worst case instance they could get a list of teams he'd be willing to accept a trade to next year before the trade dealine.

So maybe another pick or prospect can be added so possibly 3 picks for a UFA wouldn't be bad.

Flyers have 12 picks this upcoming draft.

Weak or not that is impressive. And they can be flipped maybe to move up or even for future picks later.

Points is he got something for a guy who could have left at season's end for nothing.

3 hours ago, icehole said:

So I had a chance to think of this overnight, or more like not think of it and just let it be.  I don't think the deal hurts the team very much.  Hextall could have some deals up his sleeve to maybe have filp filp and then trade an expiring contract for something in return next year.

However, it just didn't make sense at this point.  All of the positive things Hextall could use filpulla for, he could have done more with that $5m over the summer.  Sure, Filpulla can fill the center position, but couldn't you find something better for $5m in the off-season?  You could probably find a 25 year old 20 goal scorer for $5m and have a better piece to use or sell.

So Hextall didn't fail but it didn't make sense because he could have done better.

I think the 1 year on the contract is the big thing....if he doesn't work out big deal. if he does, Hextall can either trade him at the deadline or re-up him.

1 hour ago, elmatus said:

Looking at that list, Oshie is likely the best of the bunch, and you're absolutely right in that he'll be looking for a long-term deal. He's not worth what he'll sign for somewhere in the off-season.

Most of those other folks are, at best, on par with Fill imo. Radulov may be a possible exception, but I can't stand the guy and wouldn't want him in a Flyers jersey. Also, he's played very well in MTL. I imagine they'll work hard to keep him around after this year. I'm not sure they can really afford what he'll be asking for, but I wouldn't want Philly to pay that amount for a dude who's as likely to dangle through two dmen as he is to bat his own coach upside the head with his stick. No thanks.

Ya, Oshie is the type of signing that is fine for a year or three, then a buyout in waiting for the next 4.

Radulovs had a nice year... but he's gone almost invisible over the last  month...5 points in the last 11 games, 4 of them in one game.  

Is Filpulla a legit 2C, or does he become a 2C in Philly by default?  I don't know where he was playing in Tampa.  

I get that he adds depth, and appears to lock into that 2C position. However, I'm not overly thrilled that our top 2 centers for this year, and apparently next, have 19 goals between them for this entire season.  That doesn't exactly strike fear into opponents, IMO.  

35 minutes ago, brelic said:

35 minutes ago, brelic said:

It wasn't exciting, but there have been years when the Flyers did a lot more and ended up with a lot less.

This ^^^...we traded a 39 year old defenceman (we need to make room for a Morin or Hagg) for a 32 year old forward (we needed one) with only 1 year left + 2 picks. 

31 minutes ago, intheslot said:

flyers got Tampa's 4th round pick .

Pens offered their 4th round pick,Hexy traded Sterit to tampa a better 4th round pick .

We got a better 4th AND a 7th AND we didn't directly help the Pens. 

Win! Win! Win!

7 minutes ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

Is Filpulla a legit 2C, or does he become a 2C in Philly by default?  I don't know where he was playing in Tampa.  

I get that he adds depth, and appears to lock into that 2C position. However, I'm not overly thrilled that our top 2 centers for this year, and apparently next, have 19 goals between them for this entire season.  That doesn't exactly strike fear into opponents, IMO.  

I'm not going to sugar coat it...he's a small upgrade to what we had and that is all. 

I think the thing that really got most of us yesterday, which we ended up projecting onto the Streit for Filppula deal, is that we expected the Flyers to sell a bit more, and they didn't. Now, Schultz had no value to begin with. But I think most thought Streit had value, and that MDZ would as well. But when you look at the return Streit netted for Tampa at half his salary, it was clear that it was a buyer's market yesterday. Despite the rumors of teams like Boston and Edmonton wanting a backup, no other goalies besides Bishop were traded. Vrbata didn't move. Teams just didn't buy this year like they have in years past, and I think it took just about everyone by surprise.

What's interesting to me is that in the one trade they made, the Flyers both bought and sold, but didn't really buy. They got a 7th for Streit, and they got Filppula and a 4th for nothing, really.

1 minute ago, flyercanuck said:

We got a better 4th AND a 7th AND we didn't directly help the Pens. 

Win! Win! Win!

We got a better 4th, a year earlier, and didn't have to hold back half of his salary.

4 minutes ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

I mentioned this to Rux in the shoutbox, but I think it has relevance here so I will repeat:

Valteri Filppula is still a pretty good player.

He isn't a lock down 2C anymore like he was when TB first got him, but he can still play the position if needed, he will play 3C as well, and he has even adapted to playing wing on any line, including the 1st, too.

Now, his strengths may NOT necessarily match up with what the Flyers need, however.

They are superb passing skills, decent speed, stick handles like no one's business still, and has an eye for finding the open player.

I realize the Flyers need snipers (and he certainly is not that), so those skills may help Philly a bit, but certainly won't put them significantly forward in their developement.

Still though, in the short term anyways, for the rest of this season and next (remember he is signed through next season), perhaps a bit of chemistry can develop between he and some of the younger players on the team that may help them be a bit better long after he is gone.

Flyers could do worse than have a guy like Filppula play for them.

His biggest drawbacks are of course, his lack of sniping ability, his salary ($5M really IS too much to pay for a guy like him at this stage of his career), and the fact he is somewhat of a 'soft' player when it comes to checking.

But then again, the Flyers aren't contenders (and those who thought they would be THIS season, or even next, are probably just going through the wishful thinking stage), so having a guy like him who may end up helping the team long term even after his departure (and also helping to relieve Philly of a contract they didn't want either, such as Streit), may not be a terrible thing.

I still say Hextall has done a pretty good job as GM to this point.

I appreciated comments earlier that a buyout might be preferred for AMac, a board "favorite" (or if Canadian, "favourite). The only point that comes to mind, putting dollars and cents aside, is roster space.  Are you taking a spot away from a promising youngin?  That's about the only thing I can say about giving this guy a 20 game "tryout" and saying auf viedersehen.  But I agree with our distinguished TFG that we are further away than imagined from being a top 10 squad.  Shoot, I typed "squid" first...that may actually apply to this group.  

Cripes...I can't spell this morning...it is auf wiedersehen.....but in German the w is pronounced like a v...so much for three years of high school German...getting too old....

13 hours ago, FD19372 said:

People who are crying about getting a 32 year old winger with 5 mil cap hit make me laugh. If he clicks in on a line somewhere, it opens up the door for a Couturier trade. If he doesn't move him somewhere else, it's that simple.

There was supposed to be a comma between the words 'doesn't' and 'move'. That's what I get for typing with one hand, and drinking a Rolling Rock with the other. Now my statement might make more sense.

8 minutes ago, Howie58 said:

I appreciated comments earlier that a buyout might be preferred for AMac, a board "favorite" (or if Canadian, "favourite). The only point that comes to mind, putting dollars and cents aside, is roster space.  Are you taking a spot away from a promising youngin?  That's about the only thing I can say about giving this guy a 20 game "tryout" and saying auf viedersehen.  But I agree with our distinguished TFG that we are further away than imagined from being a top 10 squad.  Shoot, I typed "squid" first...that may actually apply to this group.  

No, I don't think so. First, I really doubt that it's a 20 game tryout. He'll be on the roster for 80ish games until at least next trade deadline. Now, you have Rubtsov coming, and he is promising, but he'll get a full year to adjust to North America, either in Juniors or in Lehigh. Laughton, Cousins... They still have some upside, but I don't know that blocking either of them is going to be all that terrible for the team.

4 hours ago, icehole said:

So I had a chance to think of this overnight, or more like not think of it and just let it be.  I don't think the deal hurts the team very much.  Hextall could have some deals up his sleeve to maybe have filp filp and then trade an expiring contract for something in return next year.

However, it just didn't make sense at this point.  All of the positive things Hextall could use filpulla for, he could have done more with that $5m over the summer.  Sure, Filpulla can fill the center position, but couldn't you find something better for $5m in the off-season?  You could probably find a 25 year old 20 goal scorer for $5m and have a better piece to use or sell.

So Hextall didn't fail but it didn't make sense because he could have done better.

Could he have done more with 5 million next season?  I think the major reason why Hextall was willing to do the deal was because of the weak UFA forward class following this season.  Having Filp in the fold for one more year at $5 million was deemed by Hextall to be more desirable than paying between $4-$5 million for 3+ years for a UFA whose skill is not that far better than Filp.  That was my biggest takeaway from the trade along with the unspoken acknowledgement that Couturier is not the answer as a 2nd line center.  

2 hours ago, brelic said:

I've come around this move and I think Hextall did a smart thing.

He got a 4th and 7th for an expiring UFA, plus he filled the 2C position for the very short term.

Like others have said, it's an admission that Couturier just isn't a 2C in the NHL, and that's a positive step forward. At Coots' current price tag for a 3C, maybe you look at moving him in the offseason.

In any case, it would have been much worse to go fishing during UFA silly season. You'd end up overpaying for an aging vet AND have him for 5+ years.

The commitment to Filppula is only next season. 

Konecny/Giroux/Simmonds

Schenn/Filppula/Voracek 

Or any combination thereof. That could be a decent top 6.

EDIT: On the Neuvirth signing, not only does it provide us with a goalie to expose, I think it also gives Hextall leverage on the Mason talks if Neuvirth doesn't get claimed.

From the Flyers camp, they can simply say to Mason's agent that they're prepared to offer X amount and if Mason really doesn't like it, they're fine sticking with Neuvirth.

Like other Flyers fans yesterday I was confused on the trade Hextall made with Tampa Bay and the signings but I think Hextall has a plan and he's sticking to it.  We as fans thought Hextall should have traded the pending UFA's for draft picks but we don't know if he tried and no other team was interested or willing to pay what he was asking for them. He signed Neuvirth to guarantee a goalie to expose for the expansion draft but also someone who could split time with Stolarz for next year if Mason goes elsewhere. Mason might be asking for a long-term deal for more than what the Flyers are willing to commit to. As Filppula, he fills the 2C position for next year on an expiring contract, so Hextall doesn't need to overpay for one in free agency. If Montreal didn't make the trades they made, they might have looked at trading for Streit. Hextall has made some bad decisions on signings (Voracek) but I still would rather have him as GM instead of Holmgren. Holmgren would have traded away future picks for a quick fix to try and make the playoffs.

14 minutes ago, PhilsFanDrew said:

Could he have done more with 5 million next season?  I think the major reason why Hextall was willing to do the deal was because of the weak UFA forward class following this season.  Having Filp in the fold for one more year at $5 million was deemed by Hextall to be more desirable than paying between $4-$5 million for 3+ years for a UFA whose skill is not that far better than Filp.  That was my biggest takeaway from the trade along with the unspoken acknowledgement that Couturier is not the answer as a 2nd line center.  

Yeah.  I'm not hating the player as much anymore.  If filpulla was already a flyer and he was getting paid $5m, I wouldn't mind that.  I just didn't like how it went down.

At first I heard 4th and 7th from Tampa.  I thought they could get better picks for streit, but at least his money is off the books and they got something.  

Then I heard filpulla was involved.  With hextall's plan to rebuild, why would he take on $5m when he could just wait for streit to drop off in 20 games?  I was also under the assumption that when tampa had to fit streit under the cap, they had to fit $5.25m (or whatever it is) under the cap.

Then I heard streit was flipped to pitt for a late pick.  So I asked "how did Pitt fit $5.25m under the cap without dumping one of their salaries?"  If Pitt could fit streit under the cap, why not just make the deal with Pitt, get a pick, and save $5m?  But apparently they only need to fit his remaining salary under the cap, and that amount was partially eaten by the flyers and lightning.

So I guess we have to ask ourselves if filpulla is good enough to be 2nd line center for a 1yr  $5m contract.  7 goals doesn't say "yes" to that question.  I expect him to be a more important role on the flyers but I'm not sure if he will meet the expectations of a $5m 2nd line center.

So it's not devastating but I would have almost liked it better if he would have just left the 2/3 center position as is or maybe let some kids in the system try to grab it next season.  At this point (now and next season), it's not really important if the team is winning or losing.  I'd rather have a youngster give a spark to this flat team, and also have $5m to play with if there's an opportunity to do something.

There's always the off-season to make better trades I guess.  It would be great if hextall is still thinking about moving couturier and/or schenn.  You would think those two still have some sort of trade value.  I mean, schenn leads the LEAGUE in PP goals, and couturier has 17 points.

23 minutes ago, icehole said:

Yeah.  I'm not hating the player as much anymore.  If filpulla was already a flyer and he was getting paid $5m, I wouldn't mind that.

I don't want to alarm you, but Sean Couturier has two more goals in 13 fewer games for $667K less than Filppula.* :hocky:

That said, I don't mind the deal. Some of it will depend on how they use Filppula. If nothing else, he does have the "Cup winning experience" on his side.

And he is Finnish, so he has that going for him! :DancingGrape:

* I am aware Filppula has twice the points for the season, but would note that he has 10 points in 2017 to Couturier's 9 and Couturier has four times as many goals (4). :poke:

4 minutes ago, radoran said:

I don't want to alarm you, but Sean Couturier has two more goals in 13 fewer games for $667K less than Filppula.* :hocky:

That said, I don't mind the deal. Some of it will depend on how they use Filppula. If nothing else, he does have the "Cup winning experience" on his side.

And he is Finnish, so he has that going for him! :DancingGrape:

* I am aware Filppula has twice the points for the season, but would note that he has 10 points in 2017 to Couturier's 9 and Couturier has four times as many goals (4). :poke:

Yeah, I mentioned that to my brother yesterday.  I don't know what his situation was in Tampa, but I have to believe he'll have more of an impact for the flyers.  If he has 7 goals next season and Hextall is trying to move him at the deadline, Hextall will look like a complete fool.

Just now, icehole said:

Yeah, I mentioned that to my brother yesterday.  I don't know what his situation was in Tampa, but I have to believe he'll have more of an impact for the flyers.  If he has 7 goals next season and Hextall is trying to move him at the deadline, Hextall will look like a complete fool.

I'd like to see him in the 2C position, but I'm hearing he'll be a LW?

I think Filppula maybe(?) got some time with some of the triplets when one or the other was out earlier in the season. Honestly, his splits trend isn't that encouraging:

5 points (3 goals) in 9 October games

11 in 14 in November

8 in 13 in December

10 in 23 (1 goal) in Jan/Feb

I'll wait and see, but an awful lot of what Hextall is talking about with Filppula sounds eeerily reminiscent of what he said about Umburglar...

34 minutes ago, radoran said:

I'd like to see him in the 2C position, but I'm hearing he'll be a LW?

I think Filppula maybe(?) got some time with some of the triplets when one or the other was out earlier in the season. Honestly, his splits trend isn't that encouraging:

5 points (3 goals) in 9 October games

11 in 14 in November

8 in 13 in December

10 in 23 (1 goal) in Jan/Feb

I'll wait and see, but an awful lot of what Hextall is talking about with Filppula sounds eeerily reminiscent of what he said about Umburglar...

You may have seen this, but if not, Flyers beats said he's centering Schenn and Voracek tonight.  

Archived