Flyers Trade Deadline Thread

brelic

2 hours ago, darthbal said:

Not sure if anyone has seen this... But I just read it on twitter... How much of it is truth I cannot say...

Hockeyy Insiderr@HockeyyInsiderr 25m25 minutes ago

#BreakingNews #Habs and #Flyers talking. #Canadiens have sight set on Claude Giroux. Being told talks ongoing for past 10 days.

Ooh. Can't wait to read wonder what for!  Rocket Richard?  Guy LaFleur?  

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Careful. We once traded for Dale Hawerchuk and he is almost their age.

Dude, I don't want frighten you, but Ducky was only 3 years older than Giroux is and he was scoring better for the Flyers than Giroux is now.  

3 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Dude, I don't want frighten you, but Ducky was only 3 years older than Giroux is and he was scoring better for the Flyers than Giroux is now.  

True. No argument.

I would imagine Galchenyuk is a must for this type of deal to go down, and it would take more than just him. G may have fallen out of favour this year, but his record remains among the best in the league. Players like him don't move unless it's for a substantial haul, especially at the trade deadline.

I will say this too: Giroux with Patches on his wing would be one hell of a one-two punch. 

6 minutes ago, King Knut said:

Funny he also had a wonky hip which forced him to retire after the 97 playoff run...let's hope G's hip is in better shape...

Well, the source (@hockey_Insiderrr or whatever his name is) is less reputable than eklund, so...

Even so, I can't imagine how Montreal could begin to work this under the cap. Flyers would have to take back a player like Desharnais, and then you'd want Galchenyuk. But even that I don't think is enough to make Giroux fit under the cap for them. You don't want to hold back salary for the next 5 years, so I just can't see a deal like this being made.

3 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Well, the source (@hockey_Insiderrr or whatever his name is) is less reputable than eklund, so...

Even so, I can't imagine how Montreal could begin to work this under the cap. Flyers would have to take back a player like Desharnais, and then you'd want Galchenyuk. But even that I don't think is enough to make Giroux fit under the cap for them. You don't want to hold back salary for the next 5 years, so I just can't see a deal like this being made.

Galchenyuk, Desharnais and Shaw for Giroux and a pick.

1 minute ago, FD19372 said:

Galchenyuk, Desharnais and Shaw for Giroux and a pick.

Then it doesn't fit under the Flyers cap.

Plus Montreal has to replace Shaw and Galchenyuk on their roster with only 1.5 million, so there's still a money issue on that end. 

6 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

Then it doesn't fit under the Flyers cap.

Plus Montreal has to replace Shaw and Galchenyuk on their roster with only 1.5 million, so there's still a money issue on that end. 

a couple other moves get made, problem solved.

8 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Giroux ain't going to Montreal can quit all that right now but i could see Streit going their for Artturi Lehkonen and a 3rd rounder.

:VeryCool:

Gretzky got traded. There weren't a lot of people thinking Richards and Carter would get moved, even with their frequent Sea Isle and Margate parties. Giroux is hardly untouchable, even at his inflated salary.

7 hours ago, vis said:

I'm curious what people think is a fair period within which to become a legit contender.  In your post, you say you're OK waiting a couple of years and point to the need for two more quality drafts to fill in future forwards.  So, on that basis, it seems the timeline would be at least another five years (two more quality drafts, plus, conservatively, three years for the picks from those drafts to mature into solid, contributing NHL players).

That seems awfully long to me, particularly bearing in mind that Hextall has been on the job already for three years.  And in his third year, the team has regressed and the play of certain players that are critical to the team's future - Giroux, Voracek (Hextall signing) and Couturier (Hextall signing) - has slid considerably from just a few years ago.  

Does Hextall even deserve five more years if next season looks like this one?

I'm not even mentioning Hextall's misses in UFA.  Even if you chalk that up to the failure of his pro scouting department, he's the bandleader of the front office and bears ultimate responsibility.

Hextall gets a lot of praise for the things he hasn't done.  He hasn't traded picks or young players and he hasn't gambled big money in UFA (how could he?).  But, other than drafting, what moves has actually made that deserve praise?

By the way, I do think, on balance, Hextall's approach has been good.  Though, I'm not sure he could really take another approach.  But he's got to realize that the clock is ticking.  Imo, he deserved two years of being fairly free of criticism given the state of the team when he took over.  This third year was important and one in which it should have become apparent that the team was moving in the right direction.  But here we are.  When should Hextall, rightfully, start drawing some heat?

All that said, the silver lining is that it should be crystal clear to Hextall that he should be a seller at the deadline.  If all we end up with is Streit for a pick, then I think he will have failed at the deadline.  Let's hope that's not the case.

I'm in the same boat as you.  I'm not sure what time line I would put on it, but to me, it starts next season.  I'm disappointed in the route Hextall took, but if he wants to do it that way, I think 3 years is enough time to get some players that can play on an NHL team.

Next season, progress in the right direction for Hextall would be HIS players showing signs of good things to come.  I don't care if they win or lose, but if their game is as stale as it has been this season, it might be time to think about another coach.

Maybe 2018/2019 is the year they make the playoffs as a young and coming team. 19/20 is when we start talking ECF and further.

If Hextall's players don't show us much next season, he's on thin ice.  If they don't get any better by mid season 18/19, that's when I relieve Hextall of his duties.

Bwhahaha hockeyyinsiderr

That guy makes Eklund look like Nostradamus. 

I agree with @murraycraven no goalie for the Flyers is moved tomorrow. Not after what Bishop went for.

I could see Streit go to Montreal for a 2nd and a prospect. 

Maybe Del Zotto moves. That will be the extent of Hextall does tomorrow

32 minutes ago, Bertmega said:

Bwhahaha hockeyyinsiderr

That guy makes Eklund look like Nostradamus. 

I agree with @murraycraven no goalie for the Flyers is moved tomorrow. Not after what Bishop went for.

I could see Streit go to Montreal for a 2nd and a prospect. 

Maybe Del Zotto moves. That will be the extent of Hextall does tomorrow

I believe you Bert....   I believe everything you say.....:haha2:

1 hour ago, FD19372 said:

Gretzky got traded. There weren't a lot of people thinking Richards and Carter would get moved, even with their frequent Sea Isle and Margate parties. Giroux is hardly untouchable, even at his inflated salary.

Yes and Giroux ain't Gretz..

...so he ain't going no where so let's put that to bed. Nighy night.

Archived