You are a guest user Click to join the site

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Kraken Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

Sign in to follow this  
DaGreatGazoo

Will they actually move this time?

The Arizona Coyotes are not happy with their situation in Glendale. The team had the framework of a plan to move to Tempe until late last week, when Arizona State 

Hidden Content

. Taxpayers 

Hidden Content

$150 million on the Coyotes’ 14-year-old stadium, but owner Anthony LeBlanc is going to push for a new building until the city reinstates an old deal that allowed LeBlanc to get paid $8 million a year to run the stadium. The Coyotes also have the 

Hidden Content

in the NHL, a hair ahead of the Hurricanes and Islanders.

According to a 

Hidden Content

, the Coyotes have begun sniffing around (biology term) Portland and Seattle and reps from the team have toured arenas in both cities. The Trail Blazers’ stadium is new enough that it could easily accommodate a hockey team, while Seattle’s old NBA arena would need some sprucing up. There’s also a possibility that Seattle gets a new NBA/NHL arena soon 

Hidden Content

For their part, the Coyotes denied the report. It’d make sense for them to have a credible relocation threat to wave in Glendale’s face in order to scare them into giving up more money, so this could be smoke and mirrors. That said, the NHL does want to put a team 

Hidden Content

, and both cities appear to want a team.

Here's what the Yote's need to look at.   Attendance is pretty bad, can they make money on a regular basis in Arizona.    I don't know if a new arena brings in people to fill the arena. 

att.jpg

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Here's what the Yote's need to look at.   Attendance is pretty bad, can they make money on a regular basis in Arizona.    I don't know if a new arena brings in people to fill the arena. 

att.jpg

Totally agree.  At some point, in this soap opera, I remember reading that the team wanted an arena back in Phoenix, rather than in Glendale.  I guess the current arena is a PITA to get to?   Looking at a map, it's not too far from downtown Phoenix, but I have no idea on traffic/roads, etc.   If it's that hard to get to, maybe people just don't go.  

Or maybe hockey just doesn't work in the desert?  Paging Las Vegas....LOL

7 minutes ago, DaGreatGazoo said:

Totally agree.  At some point, in this soap opera, I remember reading that the team wanted an arena back in Phoenix, rather than in Glendale.  I guess the current arena is a PITA to get to?   Looking at a map, it's not too far from downtown Phoenix, but I have no idea on traffic/roads, etc.   If it's that hard to get to, maybe people just don't go.  

Or maybe hockey just doesn't work in the desert?  Paging Las Vegas....LOL

As if any arena in a big city is not hard to get to?  Just looking at the area on a map, it seems pretty wide open with a football stadium nearby which means it can't be too bad, and parking should be pretty easy.   I just don't think that there are as many transplants from the north in the Pheonix area that can drive attendance.  I think that was the original logic in the Florida teams, that they could bring in the snow birds and retirees. 

To be honest this team should have never left Winnipeg! I think this team could survive in Arizona/ Phoenix. (If LeBlanc is patient enough to put a decent team on the ice.)

I also think that it would be a nice rivalry between Portland and Seattle!

It would be nice to see Arizona, Colorado and Vegas battling for the Western Conference title in a few years  (fantasy world with that comment! )

Edited by notfondajane
  • Like 1