Game 58: Flyers at Oilers; 2/16 @ 9:00

Howie58

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought that Manning acquitted himself pretty well in the fight. Maroon isn't a particularly skilled fighter, but he's a hell of a big guy, and was definitely fighting angry and throwing punches with intent. Plenty of guys in Manning's shoes would have just tried to hold on or even duck out of it, but that's not what he did at all.

I don't think he should have had to fight over anything that's happened in this situation, but I'm not the least bit surprised he handled it well. Guys like him don't make the NHL because they're not tough mentally and physically.

4 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I thought that Manning acquitted himself pretty well in the fight. Maroon isn't a particularly skilled fighter, but he's a hell of a big guy, and was definitely fighting angry and throwing punches with intent. Plenty of guys in Manning's shoes would have just tried to hold on or even duck out of it, but that's not what he did at all.

I don't think he should have had to fight over anything that's happened in this situation, but I'm not the least bit surprised he handled it well. Guys like him don't make the NHL because they're not tough mentally and physically.

It's how he got the name Mad Dog he doesn't back down from anyone. There are a lot of guys on the Flyers who could learn from him....

Manning is a tough cuss, and a serviceable player. I liked that he was game to go with a guy that was 25lbs heavier, he didn't win the fight but he didn't get rag-dolled or put to sleep either so bully for him. I hope that bullshit is over now. 

The Flyers are a little bit "little" and not really "fast" as currently constructed so I am hoping that at some point an identity gets formed as to what kind of team we will "be" going forward.  Slow and little doesn't cut it. 

Little and skilled, little and fast, little, fast and skilled all those things are better to my way of thinking than what we're icing right now.

One can only hope with the imminent infusion of draft picks and youth that an identity change is on the horizon.   Right now this team is frustrating to watch. 

3 hours ago, canoli said:

hardly. He made a great play on the redirection but thru 2 he was one of the worst Flyers out there. Maybe he was great in the 3rd idk i only saw the highlights of the goals after 2.

A goal and an assist might normally erase all his TOs and general fumbling with the puck if the Flyers had, ya know, won the game.

Just saying....

9 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

Bill Clement calls out Patrick Maroon for jumping Brandon Manning on home ice

http://sonsofpenn.com/bill-clement-maroon-manning-fight-mcdavid-tears/

Like I said earlier, I don't think that Manning should have had to fight last night for any other reason than to defend himself, but I'm guessing that Clement is unaware that Maroon tried several times to get Manning to go during the game in Philadelphia, but to no avail.

And that's all fine, too.

4 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

Like I said earlier, I don't think that Manning should have had to fight last night for any other reason than to defend himself, but I'm guessing that Clement is unaware that Maroon tried several times to get Manning to go during the game in Philadelphia, but to no avail.

And that's all fine, too.

There was no reason to fight then you don't fight when you're winning.

3 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

There was no reason to fight then you don't fight when you're winning.

I'm not really sure that I get your meaning, but to clarify my own thoughts on Manning and the anger that some of the Oilers had for him: I don't think he did anything so bad that his "crime" made it a requirement that he drop the gloves. I don't think he hurt McDavid on purpose, and if he said so (and it seems that he did) then it was said with the intent to get under the skin of his opponents, which it definitely did.

1 minute ago, JR Ewing said:

I'm not really sure that I get your meaning

In the last game you are referring to the Flyers beat Oilers 6-5. You don't get in a fight with the game on the line when you are trying to win...which they did no need at all for Manning to fight Maroon. And i'm glad he didn't nothing to prove by fighting him.

In the last game you are referring to the Flyers beat Oilers 6-5. You don't get in a fight with the game on the line when you are trying to win...which they did no need at all for Manning to fight Maroon.

I thought that might be what you were getting at, but I didn't want to put words in your mouth. My point of contention isn't with you, but Clement, who made it sound like Maroon wasn't at all interested in a tilt for the game in Philly, but was gung-ho once "safe" in Edmonton. He's simply wrong about that.

And i'm glad he didn't nothing to prove by fighting him.

Indeed. I didn't think he did last night either, but Maroon wasn't taking "no" for answer, it seemed like.

2 minutes ago, JR Ewing said:

I thought that might be what you were getting at, but I didn't want to put words in your mouth. My point of contention isn't with you, but Clement, who made it sound like Maroon wasn't at all interested in a tilt for the game in Philly, but was gung-ho once "safe" in Edmonton. He's simply wrong about that.

Indeed. I didn't think he did last night either, but Maroon wasn't taking "no" for answer, it seemed like.

Well as he was quoted saying to Timmy P he is ready to put this behind him.

“To go out and fight just for the sake of fighting is not what I’m about,” Manning said. “We’re down 4-1, there’s an opportunity there and Maroon was willing, [so] you take it.”

Is this the end of the McDavid flap?

“Let’s hope so,” Manning laughed. “I’d love that. No, Connor didn’t say a word on the ice today. Even their guys, Patrick said ‘good job’ afterward. We would do the same thing if one our superstars got hurt. I understand it.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/philadelphia-flyers/brandon-manning-hopes-fight-signals-end-dispute-connor-mcdavid-oilers

I hope it's over now..

Aside from his defensive gaffes, I don't have an issue with Manning.  I think he's a gamer and is one player that actually has heart.  He ends up on the wrong end of most fights, but at least he has some fight in him.  I give him credit for fighting Maroon, but I don't think he had much of a choice.  Can't get mad at him for losing that one.

But, I do have a problem with Clement's comments.  Honestly, I often listen to the other team's broadcast because the homerism of the Flyers broadcast crew is unbearable at time.  It's actually insulting, imo.  

1 hour ago, vis said:

Aside from his defensive gaffes, I don't have an issue with Manning.  I think he's a gamer and is one player that actually has heart.  He ends up on the wrong end of most fights, but at least he has some fight in him.  I give him credit for fighting Maroon, but I don't think he had much of a choice.  Can't get mad at him for losing that one.

But, I do have a problem with Clement's comments.  Honestly, I often listen to the other team's broadcast because the homerism of the Flyers broadcast crew is unbearable at time.  It's actually insulting, imo.  

I do the same thing, and as a contrast, the Sportsnet crew spoke glowingly of Manning last night.

I should have tuned it to Edm's broadcast team.  I actually watched a lot of Edm games the past few years, mainly because I am often up late and would have the games on in the background.  They were entertaining before McDavid even got there because they had a ton of offensive talent, but the defense and goaltending was terrible.  They would invent ways to lose almost on a nightly basis.  And, for some reason, I just liked the "look" of Edm's games under the lights in Northlands Coliseum.  Imo, the ice had a distinctive bluish hue to it.  Maybe it was the contrast of the jerseys against the ice.  Anyway, McDavid is a phenomenal player to watch.  Should have won the Calder last year, imo.  It's a shame he doesn't get more prime-time here in the US.

Archived