There is light at the end of the tunnel

TheHockeytown

I think the last two games were an indication on how well we can actually play if we're healthy. Rather than be sellers in the next 10 days we should be buyers to shore up our D. I believe we will make the playoffs and just not by a wild card but third in our division we are not that far off that spot. I think we can afford to give up our 2017 1st rounder and maybe a Tats or Nik ( or with any luck we could move Howard to a team that needs help) for a top 4 dman. We have some great potential in defenceman and forwards already.If we don't continue to improve others won't want to stay or come over.

@Norman Smith

Totally agree. I believe in this team. And no, we don't need to be big sellers at the deadline.

We need to use the momentum from this big weekend to get to where we need to be. If Mrazek can find some consistency and we get the same level of today's effort from our guys over the next few weeks, I think we have a very good shot at finding ourselves third in the division, wild card at the least.

And for some reason people kept going on about how the Wings were doomed today without Green (and Nyquist). We just beat the 2nd best team in the conference in pretty impressive fashion minus both of them, and the Caps yesterday. Jensen's performance tonight is deserving of applause.

23 minutes ago, TheHockeytown said:

@Norman Smith

Totally agree. I believe in this team. And no, we don't need to be big sellers at the deadline.

We need to use the momentum from this big weekend to get to where we need to be. If Mrazek can find some consistency and we get the same level of today's effort from our guys over the next few weeks, I think we have a very good shot at finding ourselves third in the division, wild card at the least.

And for some reason people kept going on about how the Wings were doomed today without Green (and Nyquist). We just beat the 2nd best team in the conference in pretty impressive fashion minus both of them, and the Caps yesterday. Jensen's performance tonight is deserving of applause.

I am not yet sold. Mrazek has definitely upped his game in the last 5 games or so, but I am just not sold that this is something that we can keep up yet. Give me a game or two after the bye week, and then I might see it. At this point, I still think dealing Vanek and signing him in the offseason is our long-term best option. I really don't care whether we make the playoffs again or not. I want long-term success developed in the shortest way possible, and that means upgrading our D core. I just don't see it with the pieces that we have now.

Consistent evidence is the only thing that stops my skepticism. It takes more than 3 games to call it consistent.

I think we should look at offering our 2017 1st round pick and a goal scorer Tats or Nyquist to Anaheim for Cam Fowler. We could also offer the same to St. Louis for Shattenkirk provided we get a sign and trade deal.For the later the stars would have to aline to reduce cap for that deal. There are some other dmen out there that we could kick some tires offering the same deal. Remember next year's draft is not all that great there are no franchise players avaliable if we're just counting on new draft picks it will be 5 years down the road before we see any of them show there potential.So go wings go we have talent let's back it up.Remember working from the goal tender out wins games.

11 hours ago, Norman Smith said:

I think we should look at offering our 2017 1st round pick and a goal scorer Tats or Nyquist to Anaheim for Cam Fowler. We could also offer the same to St. Louis for Shattenkirk provided we get a sign and trade deal.For the later the stars would have to aline to reduce cap for that deal. There are some other dmen out there that we could kick some tires offering the same deal. Remember next year's draft is not all that great there are no franchise players avaliable if we're just counting on new draft picks it will be 5 years down the road before we see any of them show there potential.So go wings go we have talent let's back it up.Remember working from the goal tender out wins games.

No way  no how would I in a million years offer our first round pick for this year for Fowler, and keep in mind that I love the kid. He has regressed a bit this year and we are likely to have a top five or higher selection, something that you desperately need to hang onto.

That said, if we can package it for Shattenkirk..........

No, I still don't. I hold onto it dearly and throw everything I have into signing him in the offseason and KEEP the pick. I love the Wings but realistically think that it I time to face the future and not continue to worry about being someones first round cannon fodder. Too many teams to jump over and then what? Washington in the first round?

12 hours ago, Norman Smith said:

Well, I can't argue with you about this year's draft. Unimpressive. Although it is more unimpressive since the last two drafts have both had generational talent go in the top 2 picks. This draft is a far cry from either of those, but then again so we're the 6-7 drafts before those two, so I dunno how this particular draft compares with an average draft. It seems rather average to me.

So with that in mind, the idea of packaging a 1st for a real top-pair Dman would be OK, so long as he is signed for a while. And I wonder if just losing Tats or Nyke is enough cap space to make a guy like Shattenkirk a legit possibility cap-wise too.

Personally, I like Tats better than Nyke, but I also think he is more marketable. Nyke didn't help things with his spear either, even though it clearly was an aberration from his play. The one good thing is that Tats moved into his spot with Mantha and Z and has done very well since (although that penalty in the third was ill-timed). It may increase his trade value if we do, indeed, decide to sell at the deadline.

I think I still like keeping the pick and injecting new talent in better. For now. Long-term, I still think it's better that way than dealing it. What we would lose with the trade and then also what we would have to lose to make sure we are under the cap still seems to tip my scales in favor of keeping the pick, despite the fact that even the top pick is nothing even remotely close to a McDavid or Matthews.

4 hours ago, notfondajane said:

To me the Pens seemed uninterest in Sunday's game! Maybe because it was an afternoon game? Pens never play well in day games I

Not sure what the deal was, it was almost as if the Wings wore the Pens sweater and the Pens were wearing the winged wheel, lol. The Penguins didn't really give a big push until down 4-1 early in the 3rd period, not sure what the deal was. Hagelin drawing the stupid penalty while the Pens had the puck and there was a delayed penalty on Kronwall was the game, IMHO.

The Penguin who is most confusing to me is Hornqvist, he still sets up nicely in front of the net on the power play but seems disinterested, at least the half dizen games I have seen this year. He was hitting yesterday and hitting hard but he does not do that every game. Not sure why. Is he hiding an injury or something? Granted I have only watched 8 or so Pens games but half the time he is a force, half the time you don't even know he is out there......

19 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

I really don't care whether we make the playoffs again or not. I want long-term success developed in the shortest way possible, and that means upgrading our D core.

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't care if we make the playoffs again or not either. I'd like to see it happen, but if it doesn't then it's whatever. I am far more concerned about improving the chances of making it FURTHER in the playoffs than just being bounced in the first round. Long-term success is much more important, and a starting point would be breaking Ken Holland from this stubborn way of thinking. We don't have to be big sellers, but if we choose to make moves then we have to be aggressive about it. No more beating around the bush. No more "this guy is untouchable, that guy is untouchable." Thankfully, I think I read that Ken said a few weeks ago that no one is untouchable at this point. Nobody on our team aside from Z deserves to be given that status anyway given how we've played over the course of the season upto this point.

Maybe moving Vanek is a good choice. I definitely want him resigned in the offseason though.

3 hours ago, TheHockeytown said:

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't care if we make the playoffs again or not either. I'd like to see it happen, but if it doesn't then it's whatever. I am far more concerned about improving the chances of making it FURTHER in the playoffs than just being bounced in the first round. Long-term success is much more important, and a starting point would be breaking Ken Holland from this stubborn way of thinking. We don't have to be big sellers, but if we choose to make moves then we have to be aggressive about it. No more beating around the bush. No more "this guy is untouchable, that guy is untouchable." Thankfully, I think I read that Ken said a few weeks ago that no one is untouchable at this point. Nobody on our team aside from Z deserves to be given that status anyway given how we've played over the course of the season upto this point.

Maybe moving Vanek is a good choice. I definitely want him resigned in the offseason though.

Like this position better. To really hold to it, you've gotta resist reacting to the ups and downs of a few games' length. I'm not gonna get rah-rah about the quality of the product that we are putting on the ice until I can see a month or two of it. That will change my mind, and not until then. Too much evidence to the contrary, and history...well, read my sig line.

We didn't get from Stanley Cup Champion to the bottom of the NHL in one season. It's taken a decade. But if you look back, it's easy to see the decline. To undo it, it's gonna take systemic changes, not superficial ones. I don't know if KH has the capacity to change enough to right the ship. I kinda doubt it, actually.

No one is irreplaceable! I would say Z, but IF Z had another season like this one, and he made the decision that he wanted one more run at a Cup before he retired, and he came to the conclusion that he wanted a trade, I'd move him. Do I think he wants that now? No. Do I think if this crap continues that his heart could change? Yes. But I wouldn't trade him otherwise.

I also think that relatively speaking, Larkin, Mantha, and AA are untouchable. And what I mean by that is that the deal would have to be ridiculously good in order to give any of them up. The right deal that does enough to upgrade our needs? Could I see giving one of them up if the deal was good enough? Yes, but I don't think that is realistic in today's hockey market. Ten years ago? Maybe. Not now. So we keep that core unless the sky opens.

Archived