Flames add Michael Stone

yave1964

One of my favorite obscure players has just traded addresses, the Coyotes traded Michael Image result for michael stone pic coyotesStone to the Flames for a third round pick.

Stone is a solid responsible defender in his own zone who is not afraid to lay the body and is a solid shot blocker, he is the replacement for Kris Russell that the Flames never found all season from within, in fact he is a much better overall player than Russell who blocks shots but offers little else. Stone can move the puck with a nice first pass. An UFA at seasons end, he will play top four minutes for the Flames, maybe even partnering as the stay at home guy on the top pairing with either Giordano or Hamilton. Absolute steal of a pickup.

37 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

One of my favorite obscure players has just traded addresses, the Coyotes traded Michael Image result for michael stone pic coyotesStone to the Flames for a third round pick.

Stone is a solid responsible defender in his own zone who is not afraid to lay the body and is a solid shot blocker, he is the replacement for Kris Russell that the Flames never found all season from within, in fact he is a much better overall player than Russell who blocks shots but offers little else. Stone can move the puck with a nice first pass. An UFA at seasons end, he will play top four minutes for the Flames, maybe even partnering as the stay at home guy on the top pairing with either Giordano or Hamilton. Absolute steal of a pickup.

Are we talking about Arizona's mike stone?

Dunno about Solid responsible defender unless something has changed from last year since I saw him. Has a booming shot and is good on the 2nd PP. But if he were responsible defensively a 36 point Dman with 14PPP would be held in much higher regard than a 3rd and conditional 5th with 50% retained.

He is also playing like crap now and coming off a major injury.

Former Calgary Hitman tho

47 minutes ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Are we talking about Arizona's mike stone?

Dunno about Solid responsible defender unless something has changed from last year since I saw him. Has a booming shot and is good on the 2nd PP. But if he were responsible defensively a 36 point Dman with 14PPP would be held in much higher regard than a 3rd and conditional 5th with 50% retained.

He is also playing like crap now and coming off a major injury.

Former Calgary Hitman tho

I love the guy, he is a shotblocker, a big body who is absolutely fearless defending his own zone, I watched a game last season in which he literally blocked four shots on a penalty kill throwing his body all over the ice to do so. He its, he can run a power play and could play for me any time.

Like you mentioned he is coming off major knee surgery after having a pretty solid campaign last year has been a bit slow getting it together this year but is an extremely low risk for the Flames, a third and half salary for a rugged guy on the back end who can move the puck. He fits in very nicely with what they have going on with guys like Gio, Hamilton and Brodie. Not a fantasy guy but to me a solid player for little in the way of a return.

The Yotes also obtain a conditional 5th in 2018 on the trade if Stone signs in the offseason with Calgary. 

Kind of an odd trade imo, not one of the players I was thinking would be traded, I always thought Stone was part of the defensive core for the Yotes.  If Stone is damaged goods then why would the Flames really want him this season?  I'm guessing the Coyotes thought Stone wasn't going to re-up in Arizona and L Schenn has replaced him as the shot blocker.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived