Kings slipping out of race

Buffalo Rick

I think that the Kings need Quick back yesterday to give them a spark.  I am not sure of the timetable, or if he is even returning this year?  I thought perhaps in March?  Even if he did, its likely too late.  They have really spun out of contention.  Reasons unknown?  I know they are not scoring much.   Barely got by in Colorado.  And that stopped a skid.  I think its unlikely they can make it in.

Jonathon Quick is not the answer for the Kings. Quite frankly, in my opinion, he's the most overrated goalie in the game today. Last year, he was a Vezina finalist, but nothing about his play earned it. He rides on the reputation of the 2011-12 season, quite frankly. Outside of that, he's been average at best. Budaj did have a bit of a rough stretch recently, but every goalie has that. On balance, he's been every bit as good (if not slightly better) than what you can typically expect from Quick. The team is actually 5th best in the league in goals against.

No, the problem the Kings have is that they can't score. They are 25th out of 30 in goals for. They're -1 in goal differential. Most of the time, that won't cut it, and they're showing that now.

to me the Kings are still hanging around because the balance of power has shifted to the East with great parity in the West and with only a few exepctions the Kings great years were mediocre regular seasons followed by money postseasons. They have a history now of sleepwalking thru the regular season and then finding another gear. They are pushing it this year tho.

Kopitar has been down, Gaborik has nohing left, the young defense all slipped back, Toffoli has been hurt and Quick has missed the entire season.It is a miracle they are still in it at all.

23 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I think that the Kings need Quick back yesterday to give them a spark.  I am not sure of the timetable, or if he is even returning this year?  I thought perhaps in March?  Even if he did, its likely too late.  They have really spun out of contention.  Reasons unknown?  I know they are not scoring much.   Barely got by in Colorado.  And that stopped a skid.  I think its unlikely they can make it in.

I don't think the Kings are done.  Quick will be back very soon and they are only 2 pts out of a playoff spot.  They are generally a late blooming team and I expect them to give a good fight to make the top 8.

4 hours ago, hf101 said:

I don't think the Kings are done.  Quick will be back very soon and they are only 2 pts out of a playoff spot.  They are generally a late blooming team and I expect them to give a good fight to make the top 8.

They have been horrible lately. Lets see if they can beat Boston tonight

Kings are simply one of those teams that you don't count out until they are actually mathematically eliminated.

The way this team is built, they can, at any time, turn any given game, into a grind out, boring, 2-1 game....and pull out the win.

They haven't been doing that lately, and yes, it IS because of lack of scoring...but then again, the Kings were ALWAYS  a low scoring team...think of them as the 90's Devils of the West in terms of personnel and play.

As for Quick, I think he can make a difference in his return, a very good goalie still, despite his sometimes average numbers.

I've seen the guy LITERALLY steal games away the Kings had no business winning and that is the kind of goaltending most teams would want........win when they should, then win when they shouldn't.

That said, I also agree that one couldn't ask for a better job than what Peter Budaj has done for the team.

If he isn't playing as well now, one has to wonder whether it's a fatigue thing with him...whether physically or mentally...because, let's face it, the guy has always been a career backup. Simply not used to being "The Guy" for the duration of a season.

If Quick can make it back and the Kings still have a shot at the post season, I look for him to help revitalize the team.

Still though, if LA thinks they can still get in, they may want to look around for a scorer or two. Doesn't even have to be an elite scorer....just a couple more guys who can at least sniff the net with more regularity than the guys they have now have been.

Throw on top of that, the Pacific, and perhaps as was already stated, the West, is in a state of flux, and the Kings may still be able to sneak in due to no real dominant team in their division.

On 2/22/2017 at 10:48 AM, ScottM said:

Jonathon Quick is not the answer for the Kings. Quite frankly, in my opinion, he's the most overrated goalie in the game today. 

Sorry, Ryan Miller still leads that category :VeryCool:

39 minutes ago, Samifan said:

Sorry, Ryan Miller still leads that category :VeryCool:

Well, technically, yes, but I didn't feel it was fair to the other "most overrated" nominees to include him in the running. :notfair:

Archived