When should the Flyers Make Simmons Captain?

hf101

When should the Flyers Make Simmons Captain?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. When should the Flyers Make Simmons Captain?

• Now
    • During the Off Season
    • Giroux should stay Captain
    • Neither Simmonds or Giroux should be Captain

So what has happened to the Attitude of Captain Giroux?  What we saw back 4 years ago doesn't exist this season.

Is there an issue with Hackstol and Giroux?  Should the Flyers strip Giroux of the C?  Should this be Simmonds team?

Nobody is the Captain of this team.

That is the real issue.

Not G, not Simmonds and certainly not the Coach.

If Hextall does not move the dead UFA weight I just might be done with this team.    Patience is one thing but buying into the stupidity of this team is another.   

Sell, sell, sell...

7 hours ago, murraycraven said:

Yeah - Right now, I agree, no one seems to be captaining this team.  And I think a shake-up of leadership in the room could be a direction needed to get out of the funk that has become the boring Flyers.    A change may mean the attitude or accountability is lead by a different voice.  Do we really want to bring in more rookies under the same leadership?

I'm thinking to come into next season this team needs a different Captain and Simmonds is my choice for that role.  If this team really had what it takes to make the playoffs this season I'd be in favor of making a change "now".  As the milk carton says G's attitude hasn't been here since the 2012 playoffs.

@hf101

I'm glad to see you started a thread on this topic like I sort of mentioned in a post in another thread.  Outside of some of the obvious reasons, which have already been mentioned, missing Jag, Hartnell, Briere, I really don't have any other reason why Giroux struggles at wearing the "C". 

"The Shift" is well document and has become team lore.  But what has or has not happened since then.  I have posted numerous lists on what constitutes a good NHL Captain.  Does Giroux have any of these traits?  I tried googling to see if he was Captain at the Junior level and came up with a goose egg.  So to begin with, was Giroux surrounded by players who knew how to captain a hockey team.  It is very rare for a 19-20 yr old to become the teams captain.   I truly believe he was set up for failure with regard to this issue.

"There are leaders…

…and then there are those who lead.

You might think slapping a letter on a player’s jersey is enough to bring about leadership in hockey."

"Any hockey player can be given an ‘A’ or a ‘C’ and call themselves a leader because of it…

But are they really inspiring greatness?"

True leaders bring out the best in those around them through everything they do:

• The actions they take.
  • The way they carry themselves.
  • The things they say.
  • And even the things they don’t say.

The truth is successful hockey teams aren’t built without a solid leadership core—both with and without ‘letters’ on their jerseys.

1. The best leaders are the best servants

2. The best leaders listen more and talk less

3. The best leaders bring people up instead of putting them down

4. The best leaders always have an ear to the ground

5. The best leaders lead by example

6. The best leaders are selfless

7. The best leaders do the right thing when no one is watching

http://builtforhockey.com/leadership-in-hockey/

http://icehockey.isport.com/icehockey-guides/how-to-be-a-good-ice-hockey-captain

Some thoughts I found ....

• Respect of his teammates. He should be able to unify the group rather than allow cliques to control the dressing room. He understands the concept of TEAM, and places the objectives of inclusion above personal goals. Everyone has a necessary roll to perform whether he be a first line player to the bottom player on the roster. He must truly convey,the crest on the front means more than the namebar on the back.
  • -Should be a consummate professional. His situational response should be rational,rather than an emotional reaction at all times,whether it is dealing with teammates,the organization's staff,the officials,the media or the public. Nothing he says or does,on or off the ice, should embarrass the team or its fans.
  • - Must be an ambassador and good mediator. Should be able to rely the message management,the coaching staff and his team mates want presented. Players must feel they can confide in him and that he is capable of resolving problems before they escalate.
  • -Should be articulate.He is often the player chosen by the media for comment. Sometimes the candid answer can be controversial.He must be trusted when speaking publicly to convey a well reasoned statement without throwing himself or the organization 'under the bus'.
  • - Maturity. This doesn't necessarily mean old or veteran. Is he the player you want others to emulate?
  • - Should be a strong player at both ends of the ice,who can be relied on in all situations to place team objectives above personal success. He is the one who leads by doing what the team needs rather than his own aspirations. Must be healthy enough to be in the lineup more often than on the DL.
  • - He should be the leader of the 'Welcome Wagon' when roster changes occur. Again inclusion over isolation

So read through all of this and see how it applies to Giroux.  I tried to be as objective as possible.  I truly believe Giroux was thrust into this role and that is the fault of the Flyers Management.    Then there is the whole "butt slapping" incident.  Grant poor choice of judgement, but would you see other NHL Captains do that?  Does a Pronger or Toews do that?  How about a Tavres or a Pavelsi, STamkos, or Gionta?  As Captain you are the face of the franchise.  You do not put yourself in that type of situation or you lose the risk of your credibility not only to yourself, but to the fans your teammates and to the organization your represent.

That "shift" seems so long ago as Meatloaf sings .....

It was long ago and it was far away
And it was so much better than it is today

5 minutes ago, intheslot said:

Get  G to a team  ready to win a cup.

hold about 3 mil ..  Habs be nice ..

Jake would be the best replacement Capt,..

Hold $3 million? I get that makes him more tradeable, but there's FIVE years left on that thing.

11 minutes ago, intheslot said:

Jake would be the best replacement Capt,..

Why do you think Jake should be the next Flyers captain?

I added another poll choice for your answer of thinking someone other than Simmonds would be the best next captain of the flyers.

I'd rather trade Voracek than make him captain. I think he's as big of an overpaid problem as Giroux. 

I don't think Voracek could lead girl scouts. I just don't see anything in him that says "captain." 

But I think @intheslot may have a valid point about not saddling Simmonds or any of the D.  So, he's trying to find a viable alternative.  And then you realize the problem of "If not Giroux, and you're afraid of hampering Simmonds' game, then who?" 

I personally don't feel the candidate is on the team. Name someone on the team you'd follow into battle, rally around, etc. This team comes to the defense of no one, so there's no obvious, "the team loves that guy." 

If not Giroux, I get the choice of Simmonds, but I get why we're conditioned to worry about the distraction icehole mentioned. I think many of us suspect that's what happened to Richards and what has happened with Giroux. 

I think Simmonds is older and more established than Richards or Giroux were when they were made captain. So maybe not as bad.  But he'll still have the island of Misfit Toys to lead. I'm not sure I risk Simmonds to this. 

Lastly, if you do go to Simmonds, Giroux cannot stay.  With the above concerns, I'm not adding to it by stripping a several year captain and having him sit in the room. I'm not risking divided loyalties, etc. 

Given the choices, I keep Giroux as captain unless I move him and/or until I've made significant changes to the room. 

12 minutes ago, sekkes85 said:

If we do trade Giroux and hold on to $3 a year for the next 5 years there better be multiple firsts and/or top offensive prospects that are ready to jump to the next level coming back.

That ain't happening.

But i would be ok with making Simmer the Captain.

Dustin Brown handled it like a professional and i would expect Giroux to as well.

No i wouldn't expect him to be happy abouy and if he was i would be even more concerned with him.

He'd live and maybe even be better from it.

Either G is playing w/ a bad injury or he is completely fell off the cliff and has deteriorated fast than Richards.  I am not sure what it is but there is obviously something wrong.   Not sure stripping the C is going to do anything at this point so I would finish out the year and reassess.   

13 hours ago, murraycraven said:

That is the real issue.

Not G, not Simmonds and certainly not the Coach.

If Hextall does not move the dead UFA weight I just might be done with this team.    Patience is one thing but buying into the stupidity of this team is another.   

Sell, sell, sell...

I think simmonds would make a really good captain.  He has a leadership personality to him unlike giroux or Richards.  The rest of the team, with the exception of a few, is just a bunch of untalented sissies though...that's the real problem.

These players are bad but I can't believe they are this bad.  I definitely think the coach has to take a lot of the blame here.

I agree...sell whatever you can.  This team just needs an overhaul, and you can't be afraid to lose something of value.  Simmonds, provorov, and konecny are safe, but I wouldn't sweat losing any other player on the team.  That's not an overreaction...I actually believe that.

2 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

That ain't happening.

But i would be ok with making Simmer the Captain.

Dustin Brown handled it like a professional and i would expect Giroux to as well.

No i wouldn't expect him to be happy abouy and if he was i would be even more concerned with him.

He'd live and maybe even be better from it.

I think that some guys would be relieved to have the captaincy stripped.  It's a big responsibility.  Like you said, he might even be better without it because he can focus on doing what he used to do best.

32 minutes ago, icehole said:

I think that some guys would be relieved to have the captaincy stripped.  It's a big responsibility.  Like you said, he might even be better without it because he can focus on doing what he used to do best.

You make points in this thread that are really hard to argue with. 

Knock it off. 

ugh,

I appreciate @pilldoc 's post.  

I guess other than his lack of production I don't see where Claude needs to be publicly humiliated. 

I don't.

Mark ****** Messier couldn't lead this team to more wins and more consistent play. 

Would making someone else the captain change how stupid Brayden Schenn is with the puck on his stick ? would it suddenly make Sean Couturier into an aggressive person? Would it help Michael Raffl find the cage ?  I don't think it does.

Would that move, changing the captain, help the team? 

I don't see where it does but then, I don't see a huge "leadership void" either.  

This team isn't a good team, it's also not a bad team. This group is the definition of "meh"

I still see effort, I see a team without an identity. 

I don't think a different dude wearing the C changes anything of the structural problems that ail the team.

I like Simmonds. I like his fire. I don't know that he deserves the captaincy. Because I don't know what goes on in the room.

Frankly, I hate that management names most (all?) of the captains in the league. To me, captaincy should be a show of trust and respect that the players have for one of their number. If the players picked the captain, then there'd be no question whether X player deserved the captaincy.

22 minutes ago, mojo1917 said:

ugh,

I appreciate @pilldoc 's post.  

I guess other than his lack of production I don't see where Claude needs to be publicly humiliated. 

I don't.

Mark ****** Messier couldn't lead this team to more wins and more consistent play. 

Would making someone else the captain change how stupid Brayden Schenn is with the puck on his stick ? would it suddenly make Sean Couturier into an aggressive person? Would it help Michael Raffl find the cage ?  I don't think it does.

Would that move, changing the captain, help the team? 

I don't see where it does but then, I don't see a huge "leadership void" either.  

This team isn't a good team, it's also not a bad team. This group is the definition of "meh"

I still see effort, I see a team without an identity. 

I don't think a different dude wearing the C changes anything of the structural problems that ail the team.

Some very valid points...which makes this all that more hard to figure out what the hell is going on.  I certainly don't have all the answers.....

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Some very valid points...which makes this all that more hard to figure out what the hell is going on.  I certainly don't have all the answers.....

I'll say this, if they don't trade him, I don't know that I want Giroux as my first line center anymore.

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Maybe not, but yo DO have the medications.

Archived