Early Draft Targets

Haliax

So, let's assume that the Wings are picking 6th overall. That is the position we are in right now with Vegas in the mix and assuming that the lottery changes nothing. Who do you want the Wings to target?

Hischier and Patrick are obviously gone at that point, but after that it is a crap shoot so BPA is completely subjective and going with a team need can make sense. So, at center some good options are Vilardi, Rasmussen, Mittelstadt, Cody Glass, Martin Necas and Elias Pettersson. At defense you have Liljegren, Valimaki, Makar, Vaakanainen, Hague, Foote, and Heiskanen. I've honestly seen every single one of these players taken in that range in mock drafts. That is just a huge amount of options. Obviously I've not seen enough of these players to make a properly informed decision, but given what I've read about each of them I kind of hope they lean towards Rasmussen, Glass, or Liljegren.

What do you guys think? I'm also curious about later round options, as I really don't know much past the top 20 or so.

• 1 month later...

Hoping that Liljegren is available at six, we desperately need skill on defense. I have seen a lot of folk projecting the Wings to draft Cale Makar who IMHO is too small and not what we need. I believe that defense is a must, with the order being:

Liljegren. Spped and size and offense. Enough said. I could see the Wings letting him stick even.

Valimaki: bigger than Liljegren and better on the back end with some offense but I believe that we need a top pair puck mover, I see Valimaki more as a middle pair and second power play guy albeit probably the best defensive d-man in the draft. Like Liljegren he might stick next year if drafted.

Makar. IMHO miles behind the other two as far as 'ready now' abilities but decent upside, the biggest drawback is his lack of size and I worry about his game not translating to the NHL because of his 170 pounds.

Nobody else. IMHO it has to be one of these three and nobody else. The forwards are a crap shoot from top to bottom and it is not a deep draft.

49 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

Hoping that Liljegren is available at six, we desperately need skill on defense. I have seen a lot of folk projecting the Wings to draft Cale Makar who IMHO is too small and not what we need. I believe that defense is a must, with the order being:

Liljegren. Spped and size and offense. Enough said. I could see the Wings letting him stick even.

Valimaki: bigger than Liljegren and better on the back end with some offense but I believe that we need a top pair puck mover, I see Valimaki more as a middle pair and second power play guy albeit probably the best defensive d-man in the draft. Like Liljegren he might stick next year if drafted.

Makar. IMHO miles behind the other two as far as 'ready now' abilities but decent upside, the biggest drawback is his lack of size and I worry about his game not translating to the NHL because of his 170 pounds.

Nobody else. IMHO it has to be one of these three and nobody else. The forwards are a crap shoot from top to bottom and it is not a deep draft.

think Liljergren is THE pick at 6. Everybody else on defense would be reach at that draft slot. Of course, picking that early, it's gotta be BPA, but the Wings NEED a puck moving offense force so badly, I think they would be heartbroken if Lilj was gone.

I've seen about 9 or 10 guys live this year that are projected in and around the first round. This draft is getting a bad rap, although I once had the same thoughts as you, not deep etc....this draft is deep, especially at forward. Some real gems to be had mid first and later. Must have been nice from a Wings perspective to FINALLY see Tatar put it together later in the year. Does ot change anything need wise in the draft, but still, nice to have in your back pocket.

One guy I would be really worried about selecting is Hague. Somebody is gonna over reach on him, and I think he may be a bust. Physical, yes...offensive upside, yes....but he cannot skate backwards great, some very middling forwards have blown by him, not good. 

There is however, a distinct lack of ELITE talent in the draft. Take this with a grain of salt, cause I've only watched Brandon play on game this year....but I reach my opinion most on what I read..there is a respectable chance that Patrick never reaches star potential....and yeah, a big chance if his offense does not keep growing, you are looking at a 1st overall 3rd line center. A real good chance Vilardi and Hirch become much better pros. If Vilardi has the right guys around him, eventually, he's a well rounded 35+ goal winger who uses his body to be effective at cycling etc.  Hirch will be a star, no doubt about that....but Patrick, he does all the little things well, but nothing really stands out as far as skill set. 

29 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

think Liljergren is THE pick at 6. Everybody else on defense would be reach at that draft slot. Of course, picking that early, it's gotta be BPA, but the Wings NEED a puck moving offense force so badly, I think they would be heartbroken if Lilj was gone.

I've seen about 9 or 10 guys live this year that are projected in and around the first round. This draft is getting a bad rap, although I once had the same thoughts as you, not deep etc....this draft is deep, especially at forward. Some real gems to be had mid first and later. Must have been nice from a Wings perspective to FINALLY see Tatar put it together later in the year. Does ot change anything need wise in the draft, but still, nice to have in your back pocket.

One guy I would be really worried about selecting is Hague. Somebody is gonna over reach on him, and I think he may be a bust. Physical, yes...offensive upside, yes....but he cannot skate backwards great, some very middling forwards have blown by him, not good. 

Okay, when I say that the draft is weak, let me clarify.

There are zero top end players in the draft, no Matthews, Laine, McDavid, ect.... but an absolute ton of middling prospects and I believe this draft will go down as a boom or bust draft, someone at 12,13 will end up being the best player in the draft, someone late in the first will be a star, but conversely a top five or two will bomb. There are no sure things.

That said, like you I like the depth, I like the idea of the Wings loaded up on third rounders, there is not a lot of difference at 75 compared to fifty in this one. More dice to role in the crapshoot draft if you will.

46 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

There are zero top end players in the draft, no Matthews, Laine, McDavid, ect.... but an absolute ton of middling prospects and I believe this draft will go down as a boom or bust draft, someone at 12,13 will end up being the best player in the draft, someone late in the first will be a star, but conversely a top five or two will bomb. There are no sure things.

I think Nico.H has a strong chance to be an outright star. I try to temper my opinions based on the World Jrs, keeping in mind B.Schenn dominated that tourny and is just an above average player. With Nico, the important things were present, the skating, the moves, the ability to get open without the puck etc.

I'm confused with Vilardi, because most mocks list him as a C, but he played most of his time on the wing. He's a much better wing than C, and I think teams know this. He can play both, but his size and leverage make him a strong cycler, and I think that projects well into the NHL  Gabe will be a slightly better than average skater at the next level, but it's his hands that set him apart. He has an ELITE release, really nice. If Nico goes first like I think, Ariz may opt for Vilardi before Patrick, because of their strong C's already and Gabe's ability to play wing effectively. 

16 hours ago, yave1964 said:

It seems like on defense the debate is between Heiskanen and Liljegren at this point, with quite a few scouts actually leaning more towards Heiskanen. By their descriptions, I think we could expect both of them to be good 2nd pairing D, but probably not 1st pairing, which is disappointing. I don't think that this draft is going to fix anything for the Wings, and that next year probably would be a better year for top end talent. We'll see though, there always seems to be a few surprises from each draft.

6 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

Once fantasy hockey season is done, ill have nothing to do but watch the real playoffs and look at the upcoming draft :P

3 days!

I have high hopes that the Sharks will be swept in the first round.

Spoiler

But really, I wish the Sharks luck. Lets get Fat Joe his Stanley Cup, yeah?

On 4/8/2017 at 1:23 AM, Haliax said:

I have high hopes that the Sharks will be swept in the first round.

Reveal hidden contents

But really, I wish the Sharks luck. Lets get Fat Joe his Stanley Cup, yeah?

Evil sir. Evil.

• 1 month later...

Archived