Senators go bargain bin shopping

yave1964

It started a month or more ago when the Sens traded for Tommy Wingels of the Sharks, a hard hitting forward who for whatever reason has lost his edge and was considered expendable by San Jose.

It continued as the deadline drew near, the Sens traded for the remains of Alexandre Burrows one of the leagues nice guys and a good player once upon a time who now is nearing the 19th hole. Then they signed him to a two year extension. From Vancouver they travelled to the Swiss league, bringing in former AHLer Chris Didomenico and th?id=OIP.69k0pQB7yI0Fa9azQIZbpgEqEs&w=1signed him to a one way contract to see what he has. This was a huge surprise, he has never been considered much of a prospect but maybe the Sens see something that the rest of us do not.

Viktor Stallberg who was once supposed to be good and who has never panned out was acquired for a 3rd rounder from Carolina next, 57 games, 9 goals and 3 assists but he can play a bit on the PK. At least they hope.

Lastly, Curtis Lazar channeling his inner Kyle Turris complained andth?id=OIP.M39023f3b98cf4a5ea5c94f3919f01 whined about playing time and had his agent hold his breath and threaten to take his puck and go home (as Turris did a few years back to the Coyotes) and he was donated to the Flames for a pick and a big slow pylon of a d-man named Jyrki Jokipakka. Lazar had played 33 games with zero goals and one assist and will not be missed and the second round pick is a nice return but for thisth?id=OIF.kzJv1SPC7%2BZQKm20QuQt8A&w=243 year Jokipakka is a slug on the back end and brings nothing.

It is not any one of these moves that leaves me scratching my head, it is all of them. Wingels clearly has either lost his fire or something, Burrows has always been a heart and soul guy but is nearly done, Stallberg has been looked over by many teams and always found wanting, and Jokipakka simply cannot play. Signing Didomenico from the Swiss league stinks of desperation.

I understand small market/big market but a better use of what was available could have netted the team a much better return than this cast of castoffs and never will be and never were players.

Here's my thing: I think most of these were generally lateral moves (though Burrows had a big impact in his debut). I don't really feel like we gave up a lot (and Lazar, as high as I was on him after last season, NEEDED to go), but what did we really gain? I've seen a couple of articles talking about a bit of depth in the bottom six or bottom half of the defense, but I don't really see it (again, save the possibility of Burrows). These aren't the moves you make if you feel like you have a shot at making a decent playoff run (which could have happened with the right moves). At least they shouldn't be.

I can't help but think back to a thread I made in the offseason, in which I outlined some moves that would be the sort that could immensely help the team, while still working on a budget. Did they do anything of the sort? Absolutely not. This trade deadline shows me that even though there's a new GM, the lazy, "let's do nothing" mentality has remained. For a team that should be on the rise, it's very frustrating as a fan.

1 hour ago, ScottM said:

Here's my thing: I think most of these were generally lateral moves (though Burrows had a big impact in his debut). I don't really feel like we gave up a lot (and Lazar, as high as I was on him after last season, NEEDED to go), but what did we really gain? I've seen a couple of articles talking about a bit of depth in the bottom six or bottom half of the defense, but I don't really see it (again, save the possibility of Burrows). These aren't the moves you make if you feel like you have a shot at making a decent playoff run (which could have happened with the right moves). At least they shouldn't be.

I can't help but think back to a thread I made in the offseason, in which I outlined some moves that would be the sort that could immensely help the team, while still working on a budget. Did they do anything of the sort? Absolutely not. This trade deadline shows me that even though there's a new GM, the lazy, "let's do nothing" mentality has remained. For a team that should be on the rise, it's very frustrating as a fan.

Agreed, Condon held the fort Admirably (and your GM deserves Kudos for picking him off the scrap heap, sometimes it works) and now Anderson is back and I LOVE Stone, Hoffman and Turris, Karlsson is Karlsson and quite frankly he is having a brilliantly balanced year, the defense with Phaneuf for the full year and a healthy Methot has come together remarkably, they need help with middle six scoring and they brought in -------this.

Year Burrows had a great game. See where he is at in a month. As for the rest-ugh.

I think that the Sens are just cheap and they wont shell out money to win and really really compete . They have their idol in Karlsson that will keep their fans hopeful but thats all ! They dont have a desire to make a real push. It is a shame that Karlssons talent us being wasted in Ottawa. 

Archived