Today in Flyers History....

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
11 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Something i miss about the old times...who can forget the punk ass Domi days...

Give Domi a break...he probably had a photo op staged at Sick Kids Hospital later on in the day before going to cheat on his wife. 

Class act all the way.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Something i miss about the old times...who can forget the punk ass Domi days...

Boy McCarthy and Chief...I love that Domi ran from Berube,  literally ran from him...Chief was a nasty piece of work back in the day.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

On this day 9 years ago....wow how time flies.

Some great hockey memories for myself i remember just getting home from vacation from Hilton Head and watching some of the games while out at the restaurants with the wife.

And a few nights when they were to play i would wear my Flyer jersey and everywhere i would go i was floored by how many Flyer fans were down there and i would pass them and they would scream "Go Flyers!!!".

It just brings back so many good memories and i hate it didn't end like we wanted it too. 

A year later for the next playoffs i became a father best time of my life. Now let's get back to playoff hockey please.

6) Today in Flyers History -- Pt. 2: On May 19, 1974, the team that general manger Allen and head coach Shero crafted defeated the Boston Bruins, 1-0, in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final at the Spectrum to become the first expansion team to win the Cup. A first-period power play deflection goal by Rick MacLeish was all Vezina and Conn Smythe Trophy winner Bernie Parent would need to backstop the team to their first of back-to-back Stanley Cup championships.

• Like 2

Selected by The Hockey News as the preseason favorite to win the Stanley Cup, the 2009-10 Philadelphia Flyers had a topsy turvy season filled with injuries, streaky play and an in-season coaching change from John Stevens to Peter Laviolette. After winning a final-day shootout win over the New York Rangers to get into the playoffs, however, the Flyers caught fire in the postseason.

On May 24, 2010, the Flyers closed out the Eastern Conference Final with a 4-2 win at the Wells Fargo Center in Game 5 against the Montreal Canadiens. With the victory, the Flyers advanced to the Stanley Cup Final for the eighth time in franchise history.

After spotting the Habs a 1-0 lead in the opening minute of the first period, the Flyers settled down. A shorthanded goal by Mike Richards at the 4:25 mark tied the game. On the play, Richards raced over the middle for a loose puck. Challenged by a defender and met by desperately sliding Montreal Canadiens goaltender Jaroslav Halak venturing far out of his net, Richards dived headfirst and poked the puck past Halak toward the net. Popping quickly back up to his feet, the Flyers' captain claimed the puck near the left side of the crease and slid a backhander into the now-vacant cage.

The usually stoic Richards whooped in glee as he was mobbed by teammates and the crowd went berserk.

The 1-1 tie held until early in the second period, when Arron Asham and Jeff Carter scored goals spaced 84 seconds apart and the Flyers grabbed a 3-1 advantage.

In the third period, the Habs threw everything they had at the Flyers. Scott Gomez cut the gap to 3-2 with 13:07 remaining. Finally, with 23 ticks remaining on the clock, Carter iced the game and series with an empty netter to restore a two-goal lead at 4-2. Michael Leighton, who recorded three shutouts earlier in the series, finished with 25 saves on 27 shots.

4) Today in Flyers History: On May 27, 1975, the Flyers defeated the Buffalo Sabres, 2-0, in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final to win their second straight championship. Bob "the Hound" Kelly broke a scoreless deadlock in the opening seconds of the third period, and Bill Clement later added some insurance with a breakaway goal off a nice lead pass from Orest Kindrachuk. Just as with the previous year, Vezina Trophy winning goaltender Bernie Parent received the Conn Smythe Trophy as most valuable player in the playoffs. F

41 minutes ago, intheslot said:

4) Today in Flyers History: On May 27, 1975, the Flyers defeated the Buffalo Sabres, 2-0, in Game 6 of the Stanley Cup Final to win their second straight championship. Bob "the Hound" Kelly broke a scoreless deadlock in the opening seconds of the third period, and Bill Clement later added some insurance with a breakaway goal off a nice lead pass from Orest Kindrachuk. Just as with the previous year, Vezina Trophy winning goaltender Bernie Parent received the Conn Smythe Trophy as most valuable player in the playoffs. F

That is because the Sabres totally dominated them on the ice.  But Parent was unbeatable.  The deciding game was no exception and the 2nd goal was an empty net.  Buffalo outplayed them.  FACT.  In their 5th year in existence.

Think the sun got in their eyes and the evil bat flew in the fog . bottom line they didn't score enough to beat the better team ........ !!!!!!!

Boom...

7). Today in Flyers History: June 3, 1975: The back-to-back Stanley Cup champion Flyers completed a major trade that would be officially announced the next day. Philadelphia agreed to trade speedy center Bill Clement, goaltender Don "Smoky" McLean and their 1975 first-round pick (Alex Forsythe) to the lowly Washington Capitals. In return, the Flyers received the first overall pick of the 1975 NHL Draft. The Flyers used the pick on rugged two-way forward Mel Bridgman. To date, the 1975 Draft marks the only time in franchise history the Flyers have held the first overall pick of the Draft.

• Like 1

7) Today in Flyers History: On June 9, 1982, the Flyers traded two-time All-Star goaltender Pete Peeters to the Boston Bruins in a straight-up trade for young defenseman Brad McCrimmon. Peeters won the Vezina Trophy his first season in Boston but his career tailed off thereafter. With Pelle Lindbergh waiting in the wings, the Flyers were soon able to sustain the loss of Peeters. While McCrimmon got off to an uninspiring start in Philly, he ultimately blossomed into one of the top defensemen in franchise history. The tandem of McCrimmon with Mark Howe, first formed in 1984-85, was peerless in team annals.

• 2 weeks later...

On this day in 1992, Eric Lindros was traded to somewhere on I-95, as both the Flyers and Rangers believed they had made deals with Quebec

D9GiGguXUAAsxv1.jpg

Man how times fly....imagine if he could have kept his head up....

• 1 month later...

Bill Meltzer..  little history on the Broad StreetBullies..

5) Today in Flyers History: On Aug 1,1970, the Flyers sold Claude Laforge's contract to the Denver Spurs of the now-defunct Western Hockey League. 

The pint-sized Laforge stood just 5-foot-8 and weighed only 160 pounds but was a courageous and shifty forward who had established himself as a reliable AHL player. In his best AHL campaign, Laforge averaged more than a point-per-game (50 points in 49 games) for the 1960-61 Hershey Bears before he got his first brief NHL look with the Detroit Red Wings. 

Laforge started the 1967-68 season with the Aces, for whom he'd scored 16 goals in 60 games the previous season and then posted six points in five games in the Calder Cup playoffs. However, the finesse forward spent most of the season in the NHL with the Flyers. During the 1967-68 regular season, Laforge dressed in 63 games, chipping in nine goals and 25 points.

During the Flyers' seven-game war of a series with the St. Louis Blues in the 1968 Stanley Cup Quarterfinals - a series the Blues ultimately won - Laforge unwittingly became part of franchise folklore. In Game 5 of the series, a brawl erupted at 9:03 of the third period. St. Louis roughneck Noel Picard blind-sided and viciously assaulted Laforge, who happened to be the closest bystander. Laforge, crashing face-first to the ice, was left unconscious in a pool of blood. He was concussed and suffered a broken nose.

Flyers owner Ed Snider privately vowed that he'd never again see a Philadelphia team manhandled in that manner. In the years to come, the Flyers assembled the team that became known as the "Broad Street Bullies." Laforge did not play again in the series. He finished with three points (one goal, two assists) in five games. The next year, Laforge played two additional games for the Flyers - his final appearances of a 193-game NHL career - and returned to the Quebec Aces. For Quebec, he posted 21 goals and 52 points in 57 games.

5) Today in Flyers history: On Aug. 2, 1974, the late Barry Ashbee officially announced his retirement as a result of a serious eye injury suffered in the Stanley Cup semifinals against the New York Rangers. Simultaneously, Ashbee joined Mike Nykoluk as a Flyers assistant coach under Fred Shero.

• 3 months later...
21 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

Today, Nov. 11, 2019 is the 34th anniversary of Pelle Lindbergh's death.   I'll never forget the breaking news.   

You are just trying to draw the attention of you know who and Pelle jokes....he'll be here soon...I'll give you a hint it rhymes with codeine...