Today in Flyers History....

10 minutes ago, Digityman said:

On this day, March 6th 2020 the Flyers are tied for first place in the division with 16 games to go in the season.  The last time that happened was (I'll edit this post when I figure it out).  

Ahhh, I remember it like it was ...today.

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

On this day on 2002 the Flyers traded Kent Manderville for convicted rapist Billy Tibbetts!  

https://www.espn.com/nhl/news/2002/0317/1353263.html

What a banner day that turned to be as he lasted 23 days with the club before being placed on waivers!  Great great times indeed!! 

For those that don't recall the rest of the season, this was the time of the epic Checko meltdown in the playoffs which went hand in hand with the inexplicable 4-1 series loss to Ottawa in the first round.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

On this day on 2002 the Flyers traded Kent Manderville for convicted rapist Billy Tibbetts!  

What a banner day that turned to be as he lasted 23 days with the club before being placed on waivers!  Great great times indeed!! 

For those that don't recall the rest of the season, this was the time of the epic Checko meltdown in the playoffs which went hand in hand with the inexplicable 4-1 series loss to Ottawa in the first round.

Thanks for nothing!

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, Poulin20 said:

Differently scented trash traded.

18 minutes ago, Podein25 said:

I loved Manderville!

Meh. He was a guy who wasn't afraid to mix it up, and had decent speed. a third or fourth liner, but didn't have much scoring abiity. I will say he was better than Billy "cell block 11" Tibbetts.

Edited by FD19372

32 minutes ago, FD19372 said:

Meh. He was a guy who wasn't afraid to mix it up, and had decent speed. a third or fourth liner, but didn't have much scoring abiity. I will say he was better than Billy "cell block 11" Tibbetts.

Yeah that's all true I guess, lol

• 2 weeks later...

4) Today in Flyers History: On March 31, 1994, Mikael Renberg set a new Flyers rookie scoring record with his 77th point of the season as he scored the lone goal in a 4-1 home loss to the Calgary Flames. Renberg would go on to score 38 goals and tally 82 points; a still-standing franchise record after 26 years. 

• Like 1

) Today in Flyers History: On April 2, 1988, Ron Hextall clinched his second straight 30-win season. He became the first Flyers goalie since Bernie Parent (back-to-back seasons of topping 40 wins) to accomplish the feat. 

6) Today in Flyers History: April 4, 1968

Winners of the new NHL Western Division in their inaugural season, the Philadelphia Flyers opened the 1968 Stanley Cup playoffs against the St. Louis Blues on April 4, 1968. The game was played at the recently re-opened Spectrum, which had been closed for a month after sustaining roof damage.

While the game (and, ultimately, the series) did not have the desired outcome for the Flyers, it was nevertheless an historic game that featured a matchup of two Hall of Fame goaltenders: Bernie Parent for the Flyers and veteran Glenn Hall for the Flyers.

Despite getting outshot by a margin of 33-14 for the game, Parent managed to hold the match scoreless for 53:13. Finally, offensive-minded defenseman Jim Roberts scored the game's only goal after he was denied two previous times by Parent.

With the Flyers pressing the attack in the St. Louis end, Philadelphia turned the puck over. Frank St. Marseille gained control and passed to Gary Sabourin, who found Roberts open with a half-step on defender Joe Watson. From 20 feet away, Roberts rifled a shot past Parent's outstretched glove and into the right corner of the net.

Flyers coach Keith Allen was more alarmed by the team's lack of offensive pressure for most of the game than the goal the Blues scored. "Our offense has been non-existent for the last four or five games," he said to the Delaware County Daily Times. "Bernie played a helluva game. He had the tougher saves."

Hall earned a 14-save shutout for the Blues. The Blues benefited from a puck that Simon Nolet chipped wide of the net as it hopped on its edge but scoring chances were otherwise few and far between. A crowd of 10,649 Flyers partisans witnessed the game at the Spectrum.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 2:20 PM, FD19372 said:

Is Tibbetts still serving time?

It’s officially been one year since Alain Vigneault joined Philadelphia and became the new bench boss for the Flyers. In just under one season, he turned this team that was in a rebuild into legitimate contenders for the Cup. 

When you think about it, it’s pretty crazy. 

Looking back to that day when the news was first announced though, fans were not optimistic … in the slightest. Honestly, after the ups and downs the city has endured with hockey in the past few years, it’s understandable — but there was not an ounce of positivity in sight. 

Thankfully, that’s not the case anymore … but it’s still hysterical to go back and look at the responses. Chances are, no one is feeling this way anymore, so have a quick laugh. 

This franchise is a dumpster fire

I'm out on this team. Choose a coach that traditionally likes older players as you tout the prospects coming up.

Not thrilled, but willing to give him a chance.
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, intheslot said:

It’s officially been one year since Alain Vigneault joined Philadelphia and became the new bench boss for the Flyers. In just under one season, he turned this team that was in a rebuild into legitimate contenders for the Cup. 

When you think about it, it’s pretty crazy. 

Looking back to that day when the news was first announced though, fans were not optimistic … in the slightest. Honestly, after the ups and downs the city has endured with hockey in the past few years, it’s understandable — but there was not an ounce of positivity in sight. 

Thankfully, that’s not the case anymore … but it’s still hysterical to go back and look at the responses. Chances are, no one is feeling this way anymore, so have a quick laugh. 

This franchise is a dumpster fire

I'm out on this team. Choose a coach that traditionally likes older players as you tout the prospects coming up.

Not thrilled, but willing to give him a chance.

It wasn't just the coaching decision, which was brilliant and fantastic, but some of the other roster moves have worked out beautifully, especially Niskanen and Pitlick. And Hayes.

• Like 3

On 4/16/2020 at 10:23 PM, notfondajane said:

I like bread

Oh me too! I always had a thing for English girls ever since I studied there.  Imagine what it’s like when she is by the refrigerator aisle!

• Good Post 1

4 hours ago, Poulin20 said:

Oh me too! I always had a thing for English girls ever since I studied there.  Imagine what it’s like when she is by the refrigerator aisle!

I'm trying to warm her up for you!

Edited by notfondajane

4 hours ago, Poulin20 said:

It doesn’t appear that way

I don't know. Maybe I been alone to long. I'm getting creepy thoughts. 

I going to get my thoughts back to hockey. And start by thinking nice thoughts about this nice ladies.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...