You are a guest user Click to join the site

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

OccamsRazor

Today in Flyers History....

On this day in 1974, the Flyers became the first modern expansion team to win the Stanley Cup.

97996295_2670379193067736_5676677237403811840_n.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Today was quite the busy day for the 

Hidden Content

Give reaction or reply to this topic to see the hidden content.
, both on and off the ice, so let’s get right into it with one of the more important transactions in franchise history: the 

Hidden Content

trade.

On May 22, 1970 the Flyers traded Darrryl Edestrand and Larry Killop in exchange for Ashbee in what was virtually regarded at the time as a minor-league trade. But the deal would turn out to be far from a “minor” deal in any way as Ashbee emerged for the Flyers as a 31-year-old rookie to provide steady play and a competitive warrior-like style to the team while playing through a myriad of injuries over his short career.

Though his career was cut short by an eye injury in the 1974 

Hidden Content

Semifinals, Ashbee helped establish the Flyers’ blue collar identity on the ice and was a pivotal force in the Stanley Cup the team won without him that thereafter. Forced to retire due to the injury, Ashbee joined Fred Shero on the bench as the Flyers won back-to-back Cups in 1975.

Ashbee’s hockey legacy lives on Philadelphia today as the team award for most outstanding defenseman is awarded in his name.

• Like 1