Can The Jets Still Make The Playoffs?

oilfieldhockey

I think they can. The Jets have a good chance if they get just a little goaltending. They have terrific goal scorers in Laine and big Buff - oh and they also have team toughness. Something my Leafs sorely lack and a very important factor the tighter the games get. And they seem to be on a roll - something very valuable at this time of year.

With Wheeler leading the way they can do it. The last few games will be interesting if nothing else. If I had to pick yes or no on making it - I'd pick yes.

If they had beat the Sharks last night it would have been easier to answer this with a resounding yes.

Hellebuyck has looked better and they need to him to remain better to have a chance. But almost half of their remaining games are vs Pacific teams who they have a terrible record against.

I suppose Winnipeg "has a shot", as many other teams still do, but honestly, I don't think they get in.

As a team, they've been playing around .500 hockey and the goaltending is still suspect what with playing well some nights and looking the complete opposite the next. Just no way to tell what you will be getting from 'Peg netminders on a game to game basis, and playing .500 simply won't get it done to grab a post season slot.

At some point, this team will simply have to make a very good run (something like 8 out of 10 or something along those lines) to secure a spot because they are still dealing with LA, Dallas, and St. Louis for that last playoff spot. Their chances of catching Nashville for the 3rd division slot is slim at best.

The team scores well enough, but they still give up far too many goals to make a sustained run plausible.

Also, on special teams, they aren't particularly effective, though their PK has looked pretty good in recent games.

No...I think that last spot in the West is going to either the Blues (they barely hang on to get it) or the Stars, who make the run I believe is necessary to beat out the other teams for the spot.

Archived