Bracken Kearns still going strong

yave1964

"I didn't want to be a Hockey player, I wanted to be a professional golfer. Maybe when I retire I can join the senior tour." joked aging veteran hockey player Bracken Kearns recently.

Kearns is 36 years old by seasons end and still going strong, with Bridgeport in the AHL he is still inspiring the kids with his strong two way play has even earned him a 2 game callup from the Islanders when they were depleted. It was not a gimme, he earned it with his performance.

So far Kearns has over 750 games played in the AHL including stops at Bridgeport, Milwaukee, Cleveland, Norfolk, Rockford, San Antonio and Worchester. His father was long time Vancouver defenseman Dennis Kearns who worked his tail off to earn his first NHL callup at 26, Bracken did not make his NHL debut until he was 30 with the Panthers, since then he has played briefly for the Cats, the “I feel like I have improved every year and that was a big thing for me in university,” says Bracken Kearns of his time playing for the University of Calgary Dinos. Photo by Pablo Galvez, University of CalgarySharks (including 7 playoff games) and now the Islanders who have recalled him for a few games each of the past two years.

He is usually a 20 goal a year guy who never quits while he is on the ice. Long after most players his age have given up on chasing the dream and are on the golf course full time Kearns is still going strong, with Bridgeport this year in 56 games he has 19 goals and 41 points to lead the team in scoring and plays in all situations. Coach Brent Thompson raves about having essentially a coach on the ice for youngsters to learn from, a Crash Davis of hockey if you will.“As an extension of the coaching staff, to have him on board, he makes sure the guys play the right way,”

Just a quick write up on a guy who makes following the worlds greatest sport fun.

Archived