Shattenkirk to have DOPS hearing

nossagog

31 minutes ago, nossagog said:

Pretty bad hit late in the Kings game by Shattenkirk.   NHL DOPS to have hearing this afternoon.   That's a pretty qiuck response from the league. 

https://streamable.com/iv0op

Gravel looked not quite there after the hit. 

He jumped into him to avoid contact.  :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

The quick response is only because the Caps have a game today.

I think he gets 2 games.

22 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

He jumped into him to avoid contact.  :NinjaLookLeftRight1:

The quick response is only because the Caps have a game today.

I think he gets 2 games.

As a Pens fan, I understand completely.:VeryCool:

32 minutes ago, AlaskaFlyerFan said:

Interesting.  The video didn't say anything about Gravel being injured or not.  Maybe the NHL will take that out of the equation and start to base their discipline on the action instead of the result.

It happened late in the game(four minutes remaining), so no telling whether he played another shift or not.  

As yoiu said, quick turn around due to the Caps game tonight.  And a proper prediction also on the two games.   

It really did look like he jumped to avoid contact.  Strange decision on Shattenkirk there.  2 games is probably the right call, but we've seen more games given when a player launches himself with both feet like that too.

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

It really did look like he jumped to avoid contact.  Strange decision on Shattenkirk there.  2 games is probably the right call, but we've seen more games given when a player launches himself with both feet like that too.

When I saw it the first time earlier this morning, I really did consider that.  Watched it over and over again.

I really don't think so.  He didn't really change direction or anything.  I think if he wanted to avoid contact he would have.   And the thrust of the elbow isn't consistent with jumping to avoid contact, unless it was the Malkin version of throwing an elbow while jumping and then (successfully) claiming incidental contact.

I haven't read the decision or really looked into it.  Is he a "first time" offender?  If so, the strange part to me was the speed with which the league responded.  I know they were playing again tonight, but I could swear I remember other instances where a player has played a game between infraction and supplemental discipline.  Wasn't there?

1 hour ago, ruxpin said:

I really don't think so.  He didn't really change direction or anything.  I think if he wanted to avoid contact he would have.   And the thrust of the elbow isn't consistent with jumping to avoid contact, unless it was the Malkin version of throwing an elbow while jumping and then (successfully) claiming incidental contact.

What strikes me as odd in this hit is Shattenkirk makes the decision to get the puck behind the net before I think he sees Gravel going for the puck.  If he was planning to deliver big hit then Shattenkirk would have crunched Gravel to the boards, but instead, it looked to me is if Shattenkirk tried to stop as he saw Gravel get to the puck first then jump away from the boards to avoid being hit.  I think if Shattenkirk really wanted to deliver a hard hit jumping away from the boards in that manner seems kind of awkward for a standard body check.

6 minutes ago, hf101 said:

What strikes me as odd in this hit is Shattenkirk makes the decision to get the puck behind the net before I think he sees Gravel going for the puck.  If he was planning to deliver big hit then Shattenkirk would have crunched Gravel to the boards, but instead, it looked to me is if Shattenkirk tried to stop as he saw Gravel get to the puck first then jump away from the boards to avoid being hit.  I think if Shattenkirk really wanted to deliver a hard hit jumping away from the boards in that manner seems kind of awkward for a standard body check.

Agreed, which is why I considered the possibility when I first saw it. 

It's the elbow that bothers me in it. That has me leaning toward an attempt at the sneaky Malkin elbow while claiming he was attempting to avoid.  

The league wasn't buying it, but I'm also confused by the speed with which this was dealt. Especially since it was called a 2 minute minor on the ice (that's all he got, right?).

So, I don't know. You're right about the not smashing him into the boards. In fact, he'd have pretty much missed him altogether if not for the elbow.  It's possible limbs flail when you jump like that in an unplanned way. I'm just suspicious. 

11 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

So, I don't know. You're right about the not smashing him into the boards. In fact, he'd have pretty much missed him altogether if not for the elbow.  It's possible limbs flail when you jump like that in an unplanned way. I'm just suspicious. 

The elbow from one direction looks like maybe there is intent, but from the other direction I don't see the same intent. 

Oh well, two games seems fair in context with other hits given two games.

3 hours ago, hf101 said:

To me it  was the angle launching up and out towards the check. If you are trying to avoid, it would be more of an upright side jump.  His body angle in respect to the ice is waaaay forward with respect to his upper body.   If you just still the frame when he makes contact that is a damning photo. 

I have Shattenkirk in every league I am in and when I first saw this I said crap, that was ugly. It really depends upon what angle you look at as far as the elbow but Shattenkirk is a fluid skater and very skilled, the more I think about it I believe the elbow was deliberate. Two games seems right to me.

Archived