Minnesota Wild Opening Round Opponents

Wild.jpg

For the first time in their history, the Minnesota Wild will be entering the post season as not only a high seed (possibly a division winner), but also a favorite to come out of the Western Conference according to many pundits around the NHL.

As a fan, I would love nothing more than to see this once boring, trap playing, plodding, bottom dwelling organization reach the pinnacle...and stay there for quite a while much like the Red Wings, Blackhawks, Penguins, and Kings have done in seasons past.

But before all that, there is the matter of THIS year's opening first round, and, assuming Minnesota wins the division, they will play the 2nd wild card team (the one scrambling to get in at the last minute), and that could either be a good thing or bad thing for these newly minted "favorites" from the State of Hockey.

Los Angeles, Edmonton, St. Louis, Calgary....all possibilities for 1st round opponents for the Wild.

Do any of these pose a particular threat to the Wild and could bounce them out early? Are any of these preferable for Minnesota as their opening round opponent?

I have been listening to all sorts of hockey talk both on TV and on the radio as I drive around town, and there are vastly differing opinions on opponents and the reasons behind whether one team matches up better against the Wild or does NOT match up well against them.

Any opinions from HF.net?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived