Road to the playoffs?

hobie

The playoffs are going to be even harder to reach after the Florida game. 

How hard:

Here’s a breakdown of the Leafs final 14 games.

Four games against the top three Metro teams (2xCBJ, 1xPIT, 1xWSH)

Two games against the Tampa Bay Lightning

One more against Florida

One game against the Boston Bruins

Two games against playoff bound West teams (1xCHI, 1xNSH)

Two games against Buffalo

Two games against the worst East teams (1xNJ, 1xDET)

https://editorinleaf.com/2017/03/15/toronto-maple-leafs-face-tough-road/

Realistically I'm thinking TO could win 5 of these games and if the moon ascends into....... TO might win 7. 7 wins will put TO at 90 points, I don't think that's enough to make the playoffs. 

Or, you can look at things this way:

The playoffs were SUPPOSED to be difficult for the Leafs to reach this season from the outset.

The fact that they are in the playoff contention conversation is a small victory in and of itself.

If the Maple Leafs really are going to be a post season team, then they should be able to beat the required teams and get the required number of points, REGARDLESS of who their regular season opponent is.

If the upcoming schedule is "unmanageable" or "too hard" for them, and they end up missing the playoffs because of it, then they really never were a playoff team and they are no worse than they were when the season started, and in fact, can take pride in the fact that they did better than most people thought they would.

They then can go into the off season, examine this season, and see what they can do to improve whether that is via free agency, the draft, approaches to certain match ups in the upcoming season, and good ol fashioned current player development.

Believe it or not, the Leafs are in a good place.

Sure, I bet fans would want to see them in the post season (and they still might get there), but honestly, Toronto fans have to be happy with the progress the team has made this season alone.

The Leafs are in a good place, tanked 2 years and made a surprisingly good draft choice 3 years ago and it's great.

We've seen other teams be in TO's situation, have a great youthful core, Edmonton and Colorado come to mind, and not make real progress.

We're into the part of the schedule that separates teams, the pretenders from the contenders, and teams without character will be exposed. If TO does poorly from here on in, it will further drive home, for me, how TO doesn't/hasn't had the character to win. I think too many are willing to forgive this season using the rookie excuse, is it valid, I don't think so. This excuse is essentially blaming the rookies which I think is looking in the wrong direction, the rookies have placed TO in a winning situation and they continue to do so.

It's the vets on this team that are failing the Leafs, Kadri, JVR, Rielly, Bozak, Komarov and Zaitsev because I don't consider him a rookie. It seems that Babs agrees with me for he has stated on a few occasions, it's the vets that seem incapable of holding up their end of the responsibility. Against Florida Matthews who hasn't scored in 5 games, hasn't got a single point was 0 on the +/- scale in a game where TO lost 7-2. How did the leaders, the vets do Komarov -4, Rielly -3, Kadri -5, Bozak -4, Zaitsev -4 and JVR -2.

This is not the type of veteran core that can lead or set a good example for the rookies, the longer these vets remain the more tainted the fine rookies will become, the more Kadri like, the more Bozak like. These guys need to be moved out of TO ASAP and a proper leadership/vet group be brought in, again ASAP. The rookies got TO to the promised land and the vets will continue to disappoint.

15 hours ago, hobie said:

The playoffs are going to be even harder to reach after the Florida game. 

How hard:

Realistically I'm thinking TO could win 5 of these games and if the moon ascends into....... TO might win 7. 7 wins will put TO at 90 points, I don't think that's enough to make the playoffs. 

I think it's over after the loss to the Panthers.

The best thing the Leafs could do now is work to improve their draft lottery position. We could easily drop below Florida, Philly, Buffalo, etc. Tank time!  

14 hours ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

If the upcoming schedule is "unmanageable" or "too hard" for them, and they end up missing the playoffs because of it, then they really never were a playoff team and they are no worse than they were when the season started, and in fact, can take pride in the fact that they did better than most people thought they would.

Where they are now is about where I thought they'd be. (I think I predicted 24th overall, and we're probably close.)  It does suck to miss the playoffs for another year though, even if they weren't realistic to begin with. This is a team with 1 playoff appearance in the last 15 years in a sport where 55% of the teams make the playoffs. :(

It's getting to the point where they won't be able to repair the damage to the franchise and a complete re-branding may be in order in the future.

Just now, WordsOfWisdom said:

Where they are now is about where I thought they'd be. (I think I predicted 24th overall, and we're probably close.)  It does suck to miss the playoffs for another year though, even if they weren't realistic to begin with. This is a team with 1 playoff appearance in the last 15 years in a sport where 55% of the teams make the playoffs. :(

It's getting to the point where they won't be able to repair the damage to the franchise and a complete re-branding may be in order in the future.

Hmm...the Toronto Oak Leafs?  The Tea Leafs?

Oh wait...are there oaks in Toronto? Do they drink tea up there?

Hard hitting questions that will define the franchise for sure... :ahappy:

9 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Hmm...the Toronto Oak Leafs?  The Tea Leafs?

Oh wait...are there oaks in Toronto? Do they drink tea up there?

Hard hitting questions that will define the franchise for sure... :ahappy:

LOL. These are all things to consider before we wind up having a fisherman on the front of our jerseys.  :biggrin:

Important game tonight between the Leafs and Lightning.

I don't think this one game will determine who will get in the playoffs between TB and Tor, but it sure will make one team feel real good about themselves.

Besides...2 pts is 2 pts. 

And with just 13 and 14 games left for each team, every single one of them counts.

Both teams right now are on the outside looking in with the NY Islanders holding the last spot.

Who wants to face Washington more? The Bolts or the Leafs? We will find out tonight!

34 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Important game tonight between the Leafs and Lightning.

I don't think this one game will determine who will get in the playoffs between TB and Tor, but it sure will make one team feel real good about themselves.

Besides...2 pts is 2 pts. 

And with just 13 and 14 games left for each team, every single one of them counts.

Both teams right now are on the outside looking in with the NY Islanders holding the last spot.

Who wants to face Washington more? The Bolts or the Leafs? We will find out tonight!

The Leafs have been on a win 1, lose 2 streak since late January. I just can't see them beating the Lightning tonight. The Lightning are red hot, motivated, and on a mission. They KNOW they're a playoff team. The Leafs are the proverbial deer in the headlights. The Leafs players are accustomed to planning their first course to play on the links this time of year. 

If the Leafs do everything right tonight, and play their best game, I still don't think they have the roster to beat the Lightning. If they mail it in like they did against the Panthers, we may be seeing a 14-2 loss tonight. I'm expecting this to be a legendary arse whooping. I'll probably be working overtime tonight. :)

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

The Leafs are a team looking to finish ahead of the Bruins in the final standings.  Impressive Sweep!!

:goodjob:

That's their best bet. Finish ahead of Boston and take your chances with Ottawa or Montreal in round one. That last wildcard spot is instant death to whoever winds up with it. :)

Babs had preordained that Hymen and Matthews would play together, even before the beginning of the season and he's never even entertained breaking up those 2? Earlier in the year it might have made sense because Babs wanted Matthews to center the 3rd line as an easy transition into the NHL but really I think it's well past the time for this arrangement to end. Hymen is at best a 3rd liner and provides basically zero offensive ability, essentially he's an anchor to Matthews.

TO doesn't have a lot of LWs on the team or in the system but I don't think it's as necessary that wingers play on certain sides as it is for for d-men. TO is still dependent on it's scoring to win so I'd love to see Kapanen moved to Matthews line with Nylander.

Thru all of this it's strange that the number of goals from each line has been fairly even but I can't see how having one line score even more would be a bad trade off when the other lines' productivity isn't being affected.

I know this isn't going to happen but I'd love to see Kapanen get a proper NHL baptism instead of playing on the 4th line.  

• 2 weeks later...

Every playoff scenario for Leafs

http://www.tsn.ca/every-playoff-scenario-for-leafs-1.718418

Maple Leafs appeared to have that spot locked up heading into Tuesday’s game against Washington.

Even after Tampa Bay's win over Montreal on Friday night, Toronto remains in the driver’s seat — to the tune of a 88 per cent shot at the playoffs, according to HockeyViz.com. Any combination of two points by Toronto in these final two games clinches a spot, as well as any regulation loss by both the Islanders and Lightning.

Will Kessel enjoy sticking a knife in them??? I think so. Then the Jackets to end it.

I don't think Jackets game is important to Jackets so two points there and they are in. Right?

I'll be honest. I am stunned that the Leafs made the play-offs. A single point tonight would give as an opening series against Ottawa - a series we could possibly win....... Holy crap! (pardon)....

Archived