Kris Draper - There Will be Blood

fan4ever

38 minutes ago, fan4ever said:

Awesome!

"So, to a certain sixth grader in West Hill, Ontario, from a very long time ago, I’ll say it again: Oh yeah?"

13 hours ago, fan4ever said:

Fantastic share! Thank you for posting that story.

Is there any hockey fan who hasn't YouTubed the videos of the fight from that day and then the Osgood-Roy rematch? Draper is being politically correct when he attempts to devalue the way the game was played back then. After all, he's in the front office of an NHL team, and the NHL is trying to eliminate that kind of play for some stupid reason. But anyone who loves hockey has to look back at that rivalry and say, "Dang, that was when hockey was really great!" The combination of two teams with so much skill, so much toughness and so much anger and, yes, hate, as well as mutual respect for the others' abilities to play the game will never again be seen in the NHL. The cap will never allow such an assemblage of of pieces to exist on one team, let alone two.

Good times!

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, I loved this article. Really brought back the memories of that rivalry. I remember how devastated I was watching that hit as a kid. Interesting to have a bit more backstory.

• 2 months later...
On 3/16/2017 at 9:15 PM, SpikeDDS said:

Is there any hockey fan who hasn't YouTubed the videos of the fight from that day and then the Osgood-Roy rematch? Draper is being politically correct when he attempts to devalue the way the game was played back then. After all, he's in the front office of an NHL team, and the NHL is trying to eliminate that kind of play for some stupid reason. But anyone who loves hockey has to look back at that rivalry and say, "Dang, that was when hockey was really great!" The combination of two teams with so much skill, so much toughness and so much anger and, yes, hate, as well as mutual respect for the others' abilities to play the game will never again be seen in the NHL. The cap will never allow such an assemblage of of pieces to exist on one team, let alone two.

Good times!

I will never understand how there is this distancing oneself of things like that, yet everyone loved it when it happened. I miss fighting.

54 minutes ago, fanaticV3.0 said:

I will never understand how there is this distancing oneself of things like that, yet everyone loved it when it happened. I miss fighting.

I don't necessarily need MORE. I need MORE for the right reasons. Hockey IS BETTER when there is more fighting than there is now, but when done for good reasons. Today's NHL Hockey leadership has forgotten this and/or refuses to recognize it despite all of the evidence that supports it far outweighing the evidence they choose to see supporting its elimination.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2017 at 2:29 PM, SpikeDDS said:

I don't necessarily need MORE. I need MORE for the right reasons. Hockey IS BETTER when there is more fighting than there is now, but when done for good reasons. Today's NHL Hockey leadership has forgotten this and/or refuses to recognize it despite all of the evidence that supports it far outweighing the evidence they choose to see supporting its elimination.

What's the right reason? That's beyond subjective. And what are you gonna do when guys don't fight for the right reasons?

On 3/16/2017 at 9:15 PM, SpikeDDS said:

Good times!

The NHL is sadly, missing the true kind of hatred these two teams had for each other. To this very day, I don't recall two teams having the absolute hatred for each other, it ran STRONG, through the entire rosters!  I think the whole reason for the divisional playoff round is to attempt to rekindle the dislike among div rivals...the ol familiarity breeds contempt kinda thing....but it has been an EPIC fail. The NHL should to to a straight up 1 vs 8....or even better, a 1 vs 16 and do away with the conferences altogether!! 

42 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

The NHL should to to a straight up 1 vs 8....or even better, a 1 vs 16 and do away with the conferences altogether!! 

agree .....

would love to see 1 vs 16.  There would be some terrific matchups.  ....

30 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

agree .....

would love to see 1 vs 16.  There would be some terrific matchups.  ....

The Conference thing was cooked up during the first big expansion past the original six. Sure, it would be a bit of a hassle to have a first round match up of LA vs the NYR, but imagine the interest, the ratings, the fans would be THRILLED. As it stands now, this could only happen in the SCF, so it would be a re-freshing change of pace, for the fans AND the players and management. 

@jammer2

just for giggles here would be the Playoff with a 1 vs 16 format:

#1 Washington vs. #16 Nashville

#2 Pittsburgh vs. #15 Calgary

#3 Chicago vs. #14 Toronto

#4 Columbus vs. #13 Boston

#5 Minnesota vs. #12 Ottawa

#6 Anaheim vs. #11 San Jose

#7 Montreal vs. #10 St. Louis

#8 Edmonton vs. #9 NY Rangers

here is a 1 vs 16 as a straight bracket no re-seeding:

just some interesting food for thought.  I could REALLY get behind this format.

On 3/16/2017 at 8:05 AM, fan4ever said:

Great find! Man did that bring back some memories. I remember watching that game from the start, just kinda knowing there had been no retribution for the Claude hit on Draper. My gut said it would go down that night, was THRILLED to be right!! 

2 minutes ago, jammer2 said:

The Conference thing was cooked up during the first big expansion past the original six. Sure, it would be a bit of a hassle to have a first round match up of LA vs the NYR, but imagine the interest, the ratings, the fans would be THRILLED. As it stands now, this could only happen in the SCF, so it would be a re-freshing change of pace, for the fans AND the players and management. 

yup totally see your POV and understand the difficulty of logistics but darn it ...it would be fun!

Just now, pilldoc said:

@jammer2

just for giggles here would be the Playoff with a 1 vs 16 format:

here is a 1 vs 16 as a straight bracket no re-seeding:

just some interesting food for thought.  I could REALLY get behind this format.

Talk about a 1st round WAR....LMAO, Smashville vs the Caps, Org six of Chic vs Tor, Edm vs NYR, a rematch of their famous finals.  THAT would be some serious fun my friend!!  

On 7/7/2017 at 1:09 PM, jammer2 said:

The NHL is sadly, missing the true kind of hatred these two teams had for each other. To this very day, I don't recall two teams having the absolute hatred for each other, it ran STRONG, through the entire rosters!  I think the whole reason for the divisional playoff round is to attempt to rekindle the dislike among div rivals...the ol familiarity breeds contempt kinda thing....but it has been an EPIC fail. The NHL should to to a straight up 1 vs 8....or even better, a 1 vs 16 and do away with the conferences altogether!! 

But you see it was MORE than just the hatred. There was mutual respect for the talent which went along with the hatred. And it was both relatively equal talent AND top-tier talent assemblage.

That last part was critical, in that for the Wings and Avs to face each other year after year like they did in the later rounds of the playoffs, they both had to be THAT much better than the other teams they had to play before that. That's the part that the cap eliminates. Teams might be able to do it for a single year; maybe even for 2. But after that, they start having to disassemble, and eventually another team's gonna have enough talent AND momentum to knock one of them off early.

The cap pretty much eliminates the possibility of repeating such a rivalry.

Same thing would be true of a 1 v. 16 format. 

In addition, the NHL will NEVER go straight 1 vs. 16 format, because so many East Coast teams will have their games starting @10:30 PM. That is a ratings killer! Not to mention the toll that kind of travel takes on a team. Why do you think the Wings wanted out of the West so badly?

5 hours ago, SpikeDDS said:

The cap pretty much eliminates the possibility of repeating such a rivalry.

It does put a damper on things, that damn cap!! 

Actually, I believe there will be some GM'S creative enough to withstand the cap onslaught. From here on out, TO and Philly will only get better and stay that way for a long time. They will be like a kid at the top of the mountain game, daring each other to try and push them out of contention. Lou and Hexy are smart dudes, they will figure this cap/talent equation. If you draft well, there is never really any true danger of the cap catching up to you....like it is in Chicago right now. At least they won some cups before the cap hell kicked in. I believe THAT is what TO is doing right now, trying to win BEFORE Matthews and Marner get the outlandish deals. 

14 hours ago, jammer2 said:

It does put a damper on things, that damn cap!! 

Actually, I believe there will be some GM'S creative enough to withstand the cap onslaught. From here on out, TO and Philly will only get better and stay that way for a long time. They will be like a kid at the top of the mountain game, daring each other to try and push them out of contention. Lou and Hexy are smart dudes, they will figure this cap/talent equation. If you draft well, there is never really any true danger of the cap catching up to you....like it is in Chicago right now. At least they won some cups before the cap hell kicked in. I believe THAT is what TO is doing right now, trying to win BEFORE Matthews and Marner get the outlandish deals. 

I think GM's can definitely do that in the short run, but I question whether they will be able to do it in the long run.

One of the main reasons the Wings were able to do what they did with Lidstrom was that Lidstrom, himself, even before the cap was instituted, recognized that he wanted to win more than he wanted the extra $2-3M per year that he could have got as a FA. He learned that from Yzerman, who did the same in order to let Holland assemble the talent around him to make him a Cup winner. That is the only reason we were still able to keep the talent we had for '08 & '09. If we are paying Nick $12M (he might have even got $13M back then), we can't assemble the talent to beat the Pens in '08 and get cheated out of the Cup in the Finals of '09. (Yes, that is bitterness! ;-) ) You can work around the math in the short run, but math is still math, and over time, unless you have players that are willing to take significantly less than what they would make on the FA market in order to stay/come, you're gonna struggle.

McJesus is gonna get the motherlode contract, and when he does, it will be more difficult to get those 3 lines at a Cup-compete level. 2 lines, maybe. Same with Matthews/Marner. It'll be interesting to see if they are able to structure the right kind of balance.

That's the HUGE problem that the Franzen contract continues to give the RW's. They don't have a real means to do what is necessary, because the math doesn't work, and it won't work until that deal is off of our backs. The numbers don't lie.

On 7/7/2017 at 10:30 AM, fanaticV3.0 said:

What's the right reason? That's beyond subjective. And what are you gonna do when guys don't fight for the right reasons?

Well, it IS subjective to a degree, I admit. But in my mind, one distinguishing difference is dropping the gloves man-to-man and beating the snot out of one another instead of cheap shots. Crosby isn't on his Nth concussion because some goon gave him the what for in a fight, which might make him think twice about doing more cheap shots himself. He got multiple cheap shots in retaliation for his own cheap shots and because he whines and the league lets him. And I predict it will eventually end his career early, which will be a shame. Someone will finally just him him, and because of his previous injuries, it will be as bad as a cheap shot, and he'll be done. As much as I don't like him, I don't want to see his career ended that way. It's not good for the game.

Archived