Devils attendance

notfondajane

I'm not sure of numbers, I understand that the Devils attendance is very low.  Is there talk of this team  moving? Or is there something similar to the Islanders? 

What local newspaper covers this team? (New York maybe?)

I think, like many markets in the league, attendance is going to go as the team goes. The Devils haven't made the playoffs since 2012, and given that they're always competing with the Rangers, Flyers, and Islanders, it's probably not surprising the attendance isn't great. Beyond that though I can't really speak as to how bad the attendance is or if the game day experience has suffered since I live half the country away.

As for moving, I doubt it. I believe part of current ownership buying the team was because of the Prudential Center and the revenue they're getting from that, so I don't think they're in danger of being moved any time soon.

On 3/17/2017 at 11:53 PM, MadDevil said:

I think, like many markets in the league, attendance is going to go as the team goes. The Devils haven't made the playoffs since 2012, and given that they're always competing with the Rangers, Flyers, and Islanders, it's probably not surprising the attendance isn't great. Beyond that though I can't really speak as to how bad the attendance is or if the game day experience has suffered since I live half the country away.

As for moving, I doubt it. I believe part of current ownership buying the team was because of the Prudential Center and the revenue they're getting from that, so I don't think they're in danger of being moved any time soon.

I don't hate or dislike the Devils. The N.H.L and the ownership could have put the team in a place that wasn't so crowded with teams (5 teams with in 2hours drive of each other). I'm  surprised they lasted 37 years! Should the Devils or Islanders relocate to another city (preferred west)the other would benefit from the move. I hope one would move!

1 hour ago, notfondajane said:

I don't hate or dislike the Devils. The N.H.L and the ownership could have put the team in a place that wasn't so crowded with teams (5 teams with in 2hours drive of each other). I'm  surprised they lasted 37 years! Should the Devils or Islanders relocate to another city (preferred west)the other would benefit from the move. I hope one would move!

Having two teams in New York has always been a mistake. It doesn't even work well in baseball. Fans like the Yankees and they tolerate (but don't really give a crap about) the Mets. In the NHL, the Rangers are the team from New York and nothing the Islanders do makes any difference. I would have pulled the plug on them years ago but the NHL likes their franchise zombies.

2 hours ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Having two teams in New York has always been a mistake. It doesn't even work well in baseball. Fans like the Yankees and they tolerate (but don't really give a crap about) the Mets. In the NHL, the Rangers are the team from New York and nothing the Islanders do makes any difference. I would have pulled the plug on them years ago but the NHL likes their franchise zombies.

There are three teams in the New York Metro.

Newark (where the Devils play) is closer to downtown Manhattan than Uniondale (where the Islanders used to play).

The Isles have/had a strong fanbase that was whittled down by woeful teams, bad ownership and a terrible building.

The Barclay Center, however, is a relatively short subway ride from Madison Square Garden (you can get to both places on several of the same lines, too). But Brookyln is carving out it's own identity and is looking for things like the Nets and the Isles to do so.

With the size of the Metro (23 Million - almost four times the Toronto Metro) there's no question that it can support two, if not three teams. They have, as a matter of fact, for decades. And all three have won Cups with three teams in the Metro.

The borough of Brooklyn itself is almost the same size as the City of Toronto. It's a massive geographic area.

The Mets are a terrible example - because there are a significant number of lifelong, die hard Mets fans (not to mention that Flushing Meadows is a pretty good distance from Yankee Stadium). Also, too, both teams have won World Series relatively recently. The Subway Series was a HUGE thing for New York and displayed the devotion to BOTH teams.

Are the Yankees #1? Of course they are. They're the freaking New York Yankees - the Montreal Canadiens of baseball. The franchise with the pedigree (that's also won something in the past 40 50 years). Any front runner is going to latch onto the Yankees. That doesn't at all mean that the Mets are an afterthought. They were the number nine draw in all of Major League Baseball last season and averaged all of three thousand per game less than the Yankees.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Isles moved. Barclays is, by all accounts, a terrible venue for hockey and they can be even more profitable putting concerts and other events in the building (FWIW, many of my Brooklyn friends hate the venue).

But the level of even current support would at least equal - if not dwarf - the economic support you would find in tiny backwater towns like Winnipeg or Quebec.

28 minutes ago, radoran said:

Are the Yankees #1? Of course they are. They're the freaking New York Yankees - the Montreal Canadiens of baseball. The franchise with the pedigree (that's also won something in the past 40 50 years). Any front runner is going to latch onto the Yankees. That doesn't at all mean that the Mets are an afterthought. They were the number nine draw in all of Major League Baseball last season and averaged all of three thousand per game less than the Yankees.

The Habs are the Yankees of Hockey. Much as I would love for the Habs to overtake the Yanks in championships again, I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.

58 minutes ago, AJgoal said:

The Habs are the Yankees of Hockey. Much as I would love for the Habs to overtake the Yanks in championships again, I doubt it will happen in my lifetime.

If you mean both have arrogant, entitled, self important attitudes amongst their fanbase, then yes, I agree 1000%.

I am now putting on my Kevlar helmet and dog bite attack suit as I may have poked a Montreal hornet's nest.... :NinjaLookLeftRight1: :ahappy:

1 hour ago, radoran said:

There are three teams in the New York Metro.

Newark (where the Devils play) is closer to downtown Manhattan than Uniondale (where the Islanders used to play).

Ah. My bad. :(

1 hour ago, radoran said:

The Isles have/had a strong fanbase that was whittled down by woeful teams, bad ownership and a terrible building.

Perhaps a mercy kill is in order?

If you're the commish, and your product (the NHL brand) is being negatively impacted by the existence of a franchise that is being run into the ground by a foolish owner, why not kill it off? I'd say: "Thanks Mr. Wang (whoever it was), but you are a bowel emptying fart of an owner and we don't want you in our league any more. You ruin our image. Buh bye!". The league could re-take the team and sell it to someone else or disband it. :)

2 hours ago, radoran said:

The Mets are a terrible example

My bad. :(

1 hour ago, AJgoal said:

The Habs are the Yankees of Hockey.

Except that every hockey player wants to play in New York while virtually none of them want to play in Montreal. ;)

Could you imagine if players in baseball specifically turned down trade requests by the Yankees and all wanted to play in Toronto instead? :angel:

1 minute ago, WordsOfWisdom said:

Except that every hockey player wants to play in New York while virtually none of them want to play in Montreal. ;)

Could you imagine if players in baseball specifically turned down trade requests by the Yankees and all wanted to play in Toronto instead? :angel:

I dunno, the only trade I can remember hearing being turned down in hockey recently involved a player refusing to go to Toronto...

41 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

If you mean both have arrogant, entitled, self important attitudes amongst their fanbase, then yes, I agree 1000%.

I am now putting on my Kevlar helmet and dog bite attack suit as I may have poked a Montreal hornet's nest.... :NinjaLookLeftRight1: :ahappy:

I think you're safe. There are no Habs fans on this site.  :sorcerer:

Archived