The Price is Right

Super Subban

https://www.google.com/amp/www.habseyesontheprize.com/platform/amp/2017/3/20/14976830/carey-price-is-wizard-if-you-need-more-proof-you-clearly-havent-been-paying-attention-habs-own-sens

How about the machine known as Carey Price ?! He is a monster and I am excited to see that they beat up on little brother ! The Sens and Karlsson just cannot hang with there bunch of bargain buy players. But Price is making it look easy out there. So happy for him and this team ! 

On 3/20/2017 at 0:46 PM, Super Subban said:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.habseyesontheprize.com/platform/amp/2017/3/20/14976830/carey-price-is-wizard-if-you-need-more-proof-you-clearly-havent-been-paying-attention-habs-own-sens

How about the machine known as Carey Price ?! He is a monster and I am excited to see that they beat up on little brother ! The Sens and Karlsson just cannot hang with there bunch of bargain buy players. But Price is making it look easy out there. So happy for him and this team ! 

That's an awesome save.  lol

• 3 months later...
14 minutes ago, OccamsRazor said:

8 year 84 million!!! 10.5 mill AAV!!!!

YIKES!!!!

I responded to you in the shoutbox about the money  (The money makes sense given Lundqvist's pay and the adjustment for the tax situation in Montreal) but the length will probably be DiPietro 2.0

But really, I kind of feel bad for Price.  A goalie that good really should have the chance to play for the Cup once in his career.  He just signed that chance away for $10.5/yr. for 8 years.    Because the Habs will not sniff the Cup.

13 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

I responded to you in the shoutbox about the money  (The money makes sense given Lundqvist's pay and the adjustment for the tax situation in Montreal) but the length will probably be DiPietro 2.0

But really, I kind of feel bad for Price.  A goalie that good really should have the chance to play for the Cup once in his career.  He just signed that chance away for $10.5/yr. for 8 years.    Because the Habs will not sniff the Cup.

Have no fear...one of these seasons, Claude Julien will leave Price in for one blowout too many, and Price will go to the bench, tell the coach "I'm not playing for you anymore" and be promptly traded to a contender where the following year, he will raise the Stanley Cup.  ;)

Holy pucks batman ..... 8 freakin years ....!!!!!!!!  That is a lot hockey pucks.

Seriously that contract will last him until he turns 37.  It also ties up a lot of cap space.  If I'm doing my math correctly, his contract alone will take up about 14% of the Habs cap space.  I understand the need to extend him, but at that amount, the Habs are seriously going to have trouble with signing higher end players later on. 

1 minute ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Have no fear...one of these seasons, Claude Julien will leave Price in for one blowout too many, and Price will go to the bench, tell the coach "I'm not playing for you anymore" and be promptly traded to a contender where the following year, he will raise the Stanley Cup.  ;)

That contender better have the cap room to do that or the Habs will be eating a lot of salary .... ;)

3 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

You're nuts.  Something like that would never happen in Montreal. :VeryCool:

1 minute ago, pilldoc said:

That contender better have the cap room to do that or the Habs will be eating a lot of salary .... ;)

I didn't immediately think of that angle when TFG posted, but that's true.   You had to know they'd have to pay through the nose to keep him, but I wonder if it's the best move.

I'm sure Price is all excited because he owns the town at the moment.  But they've treated him like crap before, and all it will take is an off month or two at that price tag (no pun) and they will turn on him again really fast.

Think about this for a moment ....

The Canadiens now have Price and defenseman Shea Weber under contract through 2025-26.  Add in Weber's 7.8 million dollar per year cap hit.....the Habs now have $18 million ( or almost 25% of the cap space) wrapped up in these 2 players ......

Then to add further insult to injury ...add in Drouin's  $5.5 million cap hit and Alzners $4.6 million.  That is almost $ 29 million wrapped up in 4 players ......... just saying ......

3 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

You're nuts.  Something like that would never happen in Montreal. :VeryCool:

You're right.

A guy getting traded, MID GAME, without his knowledge, then getting pulled in the 3rd period much to his shock is more likely to happen than some goalie blowup with the coach........... :whistle:

5 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

Think about this for a moment ....

The Canadiens now have Price and defenseman Shea Weber under contract through 2025-26.  Add in Weber's 7.8 million dollar per year cap hit.....the Habs now have $18 million ( or almost 25% of the cap space) wrapped up in these 2 players ......

Then to add further insult to injury ...add in Drouin's  $5.5 million cap hit and Alzners $4.6 million.  That is almost $ 29 million wrapped up in 4 players ......... just saying ......

And you still don't have a first line center!   I mean, that's nearly $30M and you have Drouin on offense out of it.

I get that Price needs to get paid.   Good for him.  I get that the face of that franchise is a goalie mask.   So, they were pretty much screwed.   They'd really have been better off moving him for a solid package including a center and a lesser goalie and possibly a pick.  (I don't think the pick would be high if the center had high value and the lesser goalie was at least competent).  

Because while I understand it, this has disaster written all over it later on.   They have to think they can pull this off in the next 4 years, but at this point I think that's delusional.  They did fill a hole with Alzner, I guess, but they still have offensive woes and they're still weak on the defense.      40% of the cap on 4 players is such a handicap in trying to fill their holes.  Wow.

@ruxpin

@pilldoc

I know there was a pretty funny post somewhere comparing Bergevin to Disney characters trying to build a boat, but Rux's above post about STILL not having a 1C after all this money is paid kinda makes me think of the Habs as a really nice sports car being built.........but the manufacturer forgetting to put in a steering wheel........... :bigteeth:

8 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

40% of the cap on 4 players is such a handicap in trying to fill their holes.  Wow.

and we thought Homer was bad in mismanaging the Salary Cap ........ :dizzysmiley-1:

@ruxpin

Agree, Price was going to be paid but at what cost for this franchise?  In today's NHL, you CANNOT have 40% of your Cap Hit wrapped up in 4 players.  It's cap hell/suicide.  Sure I guess if they win the SC in the next 3-4 years it was worth it...but they will be screwed in a few short years .....

2 minutes ago, pilldoc said:

and we thought Homer was bad in mismanaging the Salary Cap ........ :dizzysmiley-1:

Well, in defense of Bergevin, when someone suggested he go read "Homer", he picked up Holmgren's book instead of 'The Odyssey' or 'The Iliad'.

Being French, sometimes things don't translate as clearly for Marc, ya know? :PopcornSmiley2:

48 minutes ago, TropicalFruitGirl26 said:

Well, in defense of Bergevin, when someone suggested he go read "Homer", he picked up Holmgren's book instead of 'The Odyssey' or 'The Iliad'.

Being French, sometimes things don't translate as clearly for Marc, ya know? :PopcornSmiley2:

LOL  ....  was not even thinking along those lines ....  that is a GREAT comeback ..... LOL  :ToastingSmiley:

+2

3 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

This makes me happy Martin Jones just signed for 6 years at less than 6 million.

Now that we are implementing a salary cap in NAHAHA, Rux is in trouble!

Joking bud. haha

That might actually be fun, but can you imagine?  Yeah, I'd be in trouble. You would actually have a chance. 

Joking bud. :VeryCool:

7 hours ago, ruxpin said:

That might actually be fun, but can you imagine?  Yeah, I'd be in trouble. You would actually have a chance. 

Joking bud. :VeryCool:

Mcdavid is probably signing the first 13.25 per year soon

Keeping Nathan Belieau would have eliminated the need to sign Alzner and add some much-needed offense from the back end. When Markov went down last year,  Nathan had 11 pp pts in a 2 week period....he could have easily replaced Markov on the top pp. Now they trade him away,  maybe stuck with old man Markov for his offense AGAIN....and necessitated overpaying for Alzner, who is decent but limited, esp on offense.

11 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Yeah.   

Next lockout to undo the idiocy in 3...2...1...

YES...how old is this getting....once again, we NEED to be saved from our free spending ways!!   LOL

Just like last time, some teams seem to be making moves with "being saved" in near sight. yet another deal where you can cut one or two deals (buy outs) looming large. Use the player now, and cut ties with the new labour deal....a WIN/WIN.

Archived