PRESIDENT TROPHY

notfondajane

On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 2:24 PM, notfondajane said:

Has any team won back-to-back Presents Trophies? (As if it matters!)

Surprisingly it has happened quite often, the award was started in 1985-86 and since then it has been won BTB six times most recently in 2010 and 2011 by the Canucks.

29 seasons of the Presidents trophy, lets see.....

8 Stanley Cup winners, 4 Stanley cup losers, so the winner of the Presidents Trophy has a 42 percent chance of making the finals which to me is rather significant. 6 other teams who won the Presidents Trophy made it to and lost the Conference finals so that means a 61 percent chance of at least making it that far. Home ice in the playoffs certainly is a factor.

So yeah, home ice being critical in the postseason I think it does have some relevance to win the Presidents Trophy never more so than under our ridiculous postseason setup. Look at the three monster teams from the Metro. Whoever wins the title between Washington, Columbus and Pittsburgh gets the relative soft Bruins or Islanders while the two 'losers' will have to face each other even though they will likely have the second and third best record in all of Hockey.

6 hours ago, yave1964 said:

Surprisingly it has happened quite often, the award was started in 1985-86 and since then it has been won BTB six times most recently in 2010 and 2011 by the Canucks.

8 Stanley Cup winners, 4 Stanley cup losers, so the winner of the Presidents Trophy has a 42 percent chance of making the finals which to me is rather significant. 6 other teams who won the Presidents Trophy made it to and lost the Conference finals so that means a 61 percent chance of at least making it that far. Home ice in the playoffs certainly is a factor.

So yeah, home ice being critical in the postseason I think it does have some relevance to win the Presidents Trophy never more so than under our ridiculous postseason setup. Look at the three monster teams from the Metro. Whoever wins the title between Washington, Columbus and Pittsburgh gets the relative soft Bruins or Islanders while the two 'losers' will have to face each other even though they will likely have the second and third best record in all of Hockey.

This is the third year of a two year plan! This is why I don't like this system! 

I hope when this league goes to 32 teams, it goes to eight four team divisons.

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2017 at 5:08 AM, yave1964 said:

Thanks for the info!

Archived