Ristolainen Suspended 3 Games

AJgoal

I think this suspension is bullcrap, but whatever.

It was a milisecond in real time, however bad the slow mo makes it look. By all appearances the puck was going to Guentzel and Risto correctly read the play. What he did not count on was that intercept. head was secondary, not primary contact.

Crosby's suicide pass and Guentzel looking backwards the whole time.....Risto went backwards for a hipcheck because he knew he would kill him if he went for a Scott Stevens special there.

But its ok that Malkin took Wheeler's head off right NHL?

"Guentzel never touched the puck. Had he, it probably would have been a great hit,"

Yup.  If Z hadn't tipped the pass, Ristolainen would have hit Guentzel right as he touched the puck.   Pretty tough for a player to know when to back off, given the quickness of play.  Kinda odd way that Ristolainen made that check.  Looked as if he was turning his back, but also looked as if he threw an elbow.  

11 minutes ago, blocker said:

"Guentzel never touched the puck. Had he, it probably would have been a great hit,"

Yup.  If Z hadn't tipped the pass, Ristolainen would have hit Guentzel right as he touched the puck.   Pretty tough for a player to know when to back off, given the quickness of play.  Kinda odd way that Ristolainen made that check.  Looked as if he was turning his back, but also looked as if he threw an elbow.  

No elbow

Shows from multiple angles.

This is a true "hockey play" that you want your players to make.

Of you want the winger to be able to take that puck up the ice, you want your defenseman to make that hit to stop him.

Under the circumstances, the penalty and ejection is fine.

The suspension is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

I think the question needs to be asked for a 3 game suspension...  Was the head targeted in the hit?    

It would be a heck of a target with a player skating backwards into tbe play...

1 hour ago, hf101 said:

I think the question needs to be asked for a 3 game suspension...  Was the head targeted in the hit?    

God no. The head was the victim of a 5"11 running into a 6'5 wall despite lower body first contact. I'd say the concussion was from smashing his jaw into the ice during the fall. The hit was too evenly spread out from his butt smacking his midsection for that to have caused it.

Meanwhile, Crosby slashed Methot's finger off last night

17 hours ago, AJgoal said:

guentzelhit2-1.gif

Guentzel never touched the puck. Had he, it probably would have been a great hit, though Ristolainen does look to come off his skates some.

This looks like something that would happen during my son's mites practice where one is skating backwards and doesn't see another behind him and takes him out!

16 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

Guentzel better be glad he wasn't a Flyer or he would have got 2 minutes for embellishment.... :ph34r: 

Risto should be glad he wasn't a Flyer or it would be a 10 game suspension for a hit on a Penguin

2 hours ago, J0e Th0rnton said:

God no. The head was the victim of a 5"11 running into a 6'5 wall despite lower body first contact. I'd say the concussion was from smashing his jaw into the ice during the fall. The hit was too evenly spread out from his butt smacking his midsection for that to have caused it.

Meanwhile, Crosby slashed Methot's finger off last night

....and no penalty called for slashing....shocker!  Its OK according to the Pen's announcers.  It was just a "little whack".

19 hours ago, pilldoc said:

OMG ...he got suspended on a bloody hip check!!!! :dizzysmiley-1:

@J0e Th0rnton

god I HATE the Pens announcer..."it was a terrible hit" ....BS..they are IDIOTS!

I listened to it on both the Sabres and Pens broadcast.   Yes, Pens announcers are idiots.

I don't like the suspension for this at all.   Looks like a good hit to me.  I understand the real-time on-ice penalty.  but not the suspension on a hip check.

17 hours ago, Poulin20 said:

This looks like something that would happen during my son's mites practice where one is skating backwards and doesn't see another behind him and takes him out!

Oh, he saw him.  He looked right at him to skate into him.   It was actually a beautiful hockey hit.   I don't get the suspension at all (I haven't listened to or read the ruling explanation, which would probably help in understanding).   I get interference if they want to call it that.   2 minute penalty.   I get the on-ice guys calling the game misconduct based on real-time, full-speed interpretation of the hit (I don't think it warrants it, but I get it).    I don't get the league looking at this a few times and thinking that gets 3 games.

17 hours ago, hf101 said:

I really think Buffalo should file an appeal.   I bet the Pens think Guentzel was shot.   But this is not suspension-worthy.

I mean, I'll take it because rad's guy took out my guy in fantasy and the even-up works for me, but this is silliness.

"Certain teams in this league get the benefit of the doubt," Lehner said Friday, according to Matt Bove of WKBW. "If the jerseys were reversed, I don't think we're standing here talking about three games."

:notfair:

10 hours ago, ruxpin said:

I really think Buffalo should file an appeal.   I bet the Pens think Guentzel was shot.   But this is not suspension-worthy.

I mean, I'll take it because rad's guy took out my guy in fantasy and the even-up works for me, but this is silliness.

This takes Cindy from out right ***** to soiled tampon.....that is busting at the seams.....and yes this is a drunk entry....:haha:

Archived