Superstar Crosby Favoritism

hf101

It was just a slash. I've watched it many times over and I have to say not even a hard one. I have to wonder what kind of protection these new, tiny gloves the players wear are providing. Not saying it wasn't a dirty play, it just had a rather out of scale result IMHO. 

First off, let me be clear, I think that Crosby is the greatest Hockey player in the game today bar none hands down nobody close McDavid will someday overtake him but that day is not now and not even close. Crosby is the best in the game. Period. He has worked his tail off to get there.

But let me be clear, he is a cheap shot artist and quicker with the stick than anyone in the game. A flick to the bag on O'Reilly. A slash and a destroyed finger to Methot. And the punishment is nothing. Same as Malkin.

The Penguins are given preferential treatment and to say otherwise is to wear Penguin shaded glasses.

Crosby is to the modern game what Clarke was to the 70's Clarke in the seventies was a nightmare with the stick without fear of retaliation because Clarke knew that Schultz or Dupont or half a dozen others would kill you if you looked sideways at him. Then in the eighties Gretzky was protected by Semenko and McSorley, God help you if you hit the great one.

In Crosby's case (and Malkin) it is different, they can hit and do whatever they want and instead of a goon they are protected by the league who want their stars on the ice, the Penguins duo can do whatever they want and know that they are not going to face discipline either on the ice or off. Bettman is their Schultz or Semenko.

Someone needs to get him in a corner where he cannot be protected and just get to pounding. Malkin at least dropped his gloves with Wheeler and answered the bell and then went out and played the game of his life to boot in answer to his cheap shot earlier in the year against Wheeler. He took everything they could throw at him and answered the bell and then played one Hell of a game. He was held to account and responded like a man. Someone needs to force the issue with Crosby. Kane hit Crosby across the mouth with his stick and took a slash late in the game that Crosby played pocket pool against O'Reilly, I am sure it was related and even knocked out a couple of chicklets. Sadly the Pens do not play the Senators again this year.

Crosby does not need to play like that, he is the greatest in the game today and the stick work takes away from his legend. His goon Bettman needs to quit protecting him.

3 minutes ago, yave1964 said:

First off, let me be clear, I think that Crosby is the greatest Hockey player in the game today bar none hands down nobody close McDavid will someday overtake him but that day is not now and not even close. Crosby is the best in the game. Period. He has worked his tail off to get there.

But let me be clear, he is a cheap shot artist and quicker with the stick than anyone in the game. A flick to the bag on O'Reilly. A slash and a destroyed finger to Methot. And the punishment is nothing. Same as Malkin.

The Penguins are given preferential treatment and to say otherwise is to wear Penguin shaded glasses.

Crosby is to the modern game what Clarke was to the 70's Clarke in the seventies was a nightmare with the stick without fear of retaliation because Clarke knew that Schultz or Dupont or half a dozen others would kill you if you looked sideways at him. Then in the eighties Gretzky was protected by Semenko and McSorley, God help you if you hit the great one.

In Crosby's case (and Malkin) it is different, they can hit and do whatever they want and instead of a goon they are protected by the league who want their stars on the ice, the Penguins duo can do whatever they want and know that they are not going to face discipline either on the ice or off. Bettman is their Schultz or Semenko.

Someone needs to get him in a corner where he cannot be protected and just get to pounding. Malkin at least dropped his gloves with Wheeler and answered the bell and then went out and played the game of his life to boot in answer to his cheap shot earlier in the year against Wheeler. He took everything they could throw at him and answered the bell and then played one Hell of a game. He was held to account and responded like a man. Someone needs to force the issue with Crosby. Kane hit Crosby across the mouth with his stick and took a slash late in the game that Crosby played pocket pool against O'Reilly, I am sure it was related and even knocked out a couple of chicklets. Sadly the Pens do not play the Senators again this year.

Crosby does not need to play like that, he is the greatest in the game today and the stick work takes away from his legend. His goon Bettman needs to quit protecting him.

Beautifully written .... By far probably the best post i have seen regarding this topic.   Completely unbiased opinion from a  non-Flyer fan.  thank you.

Just now, pilldoc said:

Beautifully written .... By far probably the best post i have seen regarding this topic.   Completely unbiased opinion from a  non-Flyer fan.  thank you.

Thank you sir.

I hated Crosby and the Pens in general since 2009 but watched him suffer through injuries and misdiagnosis and work his way back and play in all situations and become what he is, the best player in the game today. He goes to the corners or fights in front of the net, he plays in all situations, kills penalties or destroys teams on the power play. He is everything you could want as a Hockey player on your team.

And then he does this crap. He slashes a Joe Thornton in the finals just to get the juices flowing. He is the worst offender in the game today with the stick, I don't know, maybe it is what makes him the player that he is. He just flicks it out there and is gone in an instant mid play, he is ten feet away like he was with O'Reilly before the poor schmuck can even react.

Like I said Malkin answered the bell, took a beat down from Wheeler and half a dozen other questionable at best hits throughout the game against the Jets and had two goals and an assist and was a God on the ice in the Jets retaliation game. But nobody will ever go after Crosby because Bettman might just jump on the ice himself to save him.

Crosby is awfully brazen for being a bit of cheap shot artist that he is. You would think he'd be a bit more careful with his concussion history. Yes, he's the best player in the world, but if you think he won't get "his" if he repeatedly does this stuff, you're naive. Someone will take the half a year suspension, and hefty fine to hurt him if he continues to play that way. Particularly, if the league leaves the incidents like this unpunished. There shouldn't be a double standard, at least not to this extent, best player in the game or not.

@yave1964

Gordie Howe (RIP) was well known to take liberties with his elbows and stick. What is so different about Crosby?

@anyflyersfan

Do I need to get in to Clarke and his stickwork? How is Crosby any different?

Like those two greats and probably a few others he is a world class player who will cross the line on occasion. Sometimes, it's done as retaliation (it was Methot's dangerously low hip check on Crosby that sent him flying into Dupuis a few years ago resulting in the beginning of the end of Dupuis's career). #playerspolicingthemselves

It's also frustrating/annoying to hear the same "protected" garbage over and over and over and over again. I've asked this repeatedly and never get an answer...if Crosby is so protected why has only 1 player been suspended for 1 game for a hit on Crosby (Callahan)...and that was 10 years into a career that he's supposedly been "protected" throughout.  Lord knows there have been plenty of other opportunities.  Last time I checked it was the "protected" one who missed the better parts of three seasons with concussion issues. If the league has been protecting him they sure have done a pizz-poor job at it.

The slash on Methot was just that. A slash gone wrong that resulted in a freak injury.  It's a play that happens in hockey all the time and probably gets missed 1 out of 4 times. Should have been 2:00.  If there is no gruesome injury we aren't even having a discussion. But it's Crosby so the usual BS comes out of the woodwork.

Sorry to sound cranky but this gets old after a while. Crosby has been "getting his" for the better part of 11 season. I have nooooooooooooooooo problem whatsover if he dishes out from time to time.

@B21

Howe and Clarke were entirely different eras. scott Stevens would be suspended indefinitely for the hits that helped make him a perennial allstar.

I've already said the slash was just a slash. The rule states that that slash, which caused injury, should be 5 mins and a game. Two dirty plays in 2 games that I'd bet the farm the officials saw, yet nothing gets called. That's the issue I have. Not that he should be suspended...he shouldn't.

10 minutes ago, flyercanuck said:

@B21

Howe and Clarke were entirely different eras. scott Stevens would be suspended indefinitely for the hits that helped make him a perennial allstar.

I've already said the slash was just a slash. The rule states that that slash, which caused injury, should be 5 mins and a game. Two dirty plays in 2 games that I'd bet the farm the officials saw, yet nothing gets called. That's the issue I have. Not that he should be suspended...he shouldn't.

With all due respect, comparing eras in this situation is not a defense. The kind of stickwork we are talking about has been going on forever and has never been scrutinized the same way head shots/concussions are now verses other eras. Otherwise, the Scott Stevens point holds water here.

It's OK to have an issue when officials miss calls.  It just always seems to be a bigger "issue" when they miss calls on Crosby/Penguins because of this mystical "favoritism" that's been debunked for years now.

1 hour ago, B21 said:

With all due respect, comparing eras in this situation is not a defense. The kind of stickwork we are talking about has been going on forever and has never been scrutinized the same way head shots/concussions are now verses other eras. Otherwise, the Scott Stevens point holds water here.

It's OK to have an issue when officials miss calls.  It just always seems to be a bigger "issue" when they miss calls on Crosby/Penguins because of this mystical "favoritism" that's been debunked for years now.

"Missed calls" are fine. They happen. They do. The officials can't see everything. And they don't call everything

But, again, every Pens fan on this thread seems to admit that it was a penalty. There was a pretty terrible injury on the play. And there is a clear "history" of stickwork from the player - which you and other Pens fans have acknowledged.

And the league did nothing. Not even a fine. Nothing.

Meanwhile first time offender Ristolainen gets 5, 10 and three games on what was essentially a bang bang hockey play.

I don't see anything "mystical" about that.

The problem here. The rulebook clearly states that a slash causing injury, a Major penalty must be assessed + Game misconduct. intended or not(Meaning even an accidental slash that causes injury should throw him). The match penalty comes in if it was regarded as intentional.

If the ref misses it, the DOPS state that they will apply supplementary discipline for a slash involving injury after the fact.

Given that this came a game after he shoved his stick into O'Reilly's nuts, I would expect he would be warned. But he is getting more careless because he is allowed to get away with it. But he said sorry to O'Reilly, so I guess its ok right?

And are we really back to injury being the focus of discipline, not intent?

Ristolainen was going for a hip check the the guy receiving the puck and body impact from his end was low, North south, no blindside. No head targeting. It just happened that the puck was intercepted a split second before. Circumstance. But oops he got hurt. 3 games.

Ill buy that Crosby did not mean to cut off Methot's finger(I don't buy that he did not mean to smash O'Reilly in the nuts). But circumstance. It happened. Injury, he should be out a game if they are going to say Ristonainen deserves 4 games(Including getting ejected)

Malkin was targeting Wheeler's head going high with that hit, he left his skates into the air for the hit. Wheeler came out of it ok, so just pretend it did not happen when he was trying to concuss him?

Consistency would be nice DOPS.

• 2 months later...

Are the Pens trying to work the refs before the series even starts? 

It must be difficult being the GM of the leagues biggest choir boy. Lord knows Sid never ever dishes out any dirty hits.

Methot's finger and O'Reilly's nut sack say hello.

• 2 months later...

LOL  The Caps--specifically Ovechkin-- beat the Caps.   If it weren't Crosby it would be someone else.   

So long as the team is built around Ovechkin, they have no chance in the playoffs.   The sad irony is that without Ovechkin, they may not have a chance to get IN the playoffs.

Crosby does have different rules then anyone eles and it is a embaressment to the nhl and a slap in the face to all other player,and mistake or not throwing a water bottle on the ice is a automatic penelty but not for sid.

sickning

Archived