Jump to content
News Ticker
  • News Around the NHL

Ducks Hockey Forum Coyotes Hockey Forum Bruins Hockey Forum Sabres Hockey Forum Flames Hockey Forum Hurricanes Hockey Forum Blackhawks Hockey Forum Avalanche Hockey Forum Blue Jackets Hockey Forum Stars Hockey Forum Red Wings Jackets Hockey Forum Oilers Hockey Forum Panthers Hockey Forum Kings Hockey Forum Wild Hockey Forum Canadiens Hockey Forum Predators Hockey Forum Devils Hockey Forum Islanders Hockey Forum Rangers Hockey Forum Senators Hockey Forum Flyers Hockey Forum Penguins Hockey Forum Sharks Hockey Forum Blues Hockey Forum Lightning Hockey Forum Maple Leafs Hockey Forum Canucks Hockey Forum Golden Knights Hockey Forum Capitals Hockey Forum Jets Hockey Forum

yave1964

Lindy Ruff will likely be first coach fired at end of season

Recommended Posts

Dallas Stars coach Lindy Ruff will be fired if the team does not make the playoffs, a high ranking official within the organization said.

“He’s got to win,” the official said. “You can’t fire the other 23 guys.”th?id=OIP.DEcdg2jgVqTyA8_y2rQvEQEsDI&w=2 The above quote was from a couple of weeks ago when the Stars still had a chance, they are good and buried and the night of the long knives will likely be coming soon.th?id=OIP.KyMx_JiQwol6kUWiP0FDnAEsCc&w=3 I love Jim Nill the Stars GM, as a former Wings assistant who under the radar was responsible for some of our better personnel decisions, in Dallas he went full on veteran and it worked about every other year but the goalie combo of Lehtonen and Niemi along with massive injuries this season ruined the club. I always thought that Ruff was an odd choice to coach this club in the first place and thought for certain Nill would go with one of the young Turk coaches.

 

  Other coaches who I believe are on the chopping block are Blashill in Detroit, Tippett in Arizona, and Maurice in Winnipeg all of whom I believe are gone like a cool breeze come April. Coaches who may not be quite on the hot seat but who are certainly feeling the warmth are Hakstol in Philadelphia, Vigneault  with the Rangers, Peters in Carolina and Bylsma in Buffalo along with a couple of the interim coaches in Rowe of Florida and whoever misses the playoffs between Weight on the Island and Cassidy in Beantown.

 

So four coaches, Ruff, Maurice, Blashill and Tippett who IMHO are almost certainly gone and a good half a dozen feeling the heat, one or two of them will almost certainly hit the unemployment roles as well.

 
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/26/2017 at 5:25 AM, yave1964 said:

Dallas Stars coach Lindy Ruff will be fired if the team does not make the playoffs, a high ranking official within the organization said.

“He’s got to win,” the official said. “You can’t fire the other 23 guys.”th?id=OIP.DEcdg2jgVqTyA8_y2rQvEQEsDI&w=2 The above quote was from a couple of weeks ago when the Stars still had a chance, they are good and buried and the night of the long knives will likely be coming soon.th?id=OIP.KyMx_JiQwol6kUWiP0FDnAEsCc&w=3 I love Jim Nill the Stars GM, as a former Wings assistant who under the radar was responsible for some of our better personnel decisions, in Dallas he went full on veteran and it worked about every other year but the goalie combo of Lehtonen and Niemi along with massive injuries this season ruined the club. I always thought that Ruff was an odd choice to coach this club in the first place and thought for certain Nill would go with one of the young Turk coaches.

 

  Other coaches who I believe are on the chopping block are Blashill in Detroit, Tippett in Arizona, and Maurice in Winnipeg all of whom I believe are gone like a cool breeze come April. Coaches who may not be quite on the hot seat but who are certainly feeling the warmth are Hakstol in Philadelphia, Vigneault  with the Rangers, Peters in Carolina and Bylsma in Buffalo along with a couple of the interim coaches in Rowe of Florida and whoever misses the playoffs between Weight on the Island and Cassidy in Beantown.

 

So four coaches, Ruff, Maurice, Blashill and Tippett who IMHO are almost certainly gone and a good half a dozen feeling the heat, one or two of them will almost certainly hit the unemployment roles as well.

 

 

 

Yes he is gone!

 

Enter the last guy who brought them a Stanley Cup!!!!

 

83d99f4c4988386cc175abbf6dc8a3c0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats to @yave1964 for properly predicting this exciting news. 

 

Ruff was stuck with garbage goaltending but I still think he is an overrated coach IMO. The only reason he lasted so long in Buffalo is because they gladly accept mediocrity in WNY. 

 

Maybe he lands in Vegas?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's official -

The Stars have announced that Lindy Ruff will not be brought back next season.  Ruff concludes his time with the Stars with a 165-122-41 record.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought he was a strange signing, a rookie GM bringing in a veteran coach but Nill in Detroit always thought outside of the box. I expect the next signee in Dallas to be someone out of the blue not a retread.

 

  Oh and I hope that if/when Blashill is put out of his misery in Detroit that Ruff is not the pick.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To Ruff's credit he does have a winning record with Dallas.  Last year was exceptional.  But I agree with you it's time for some more new coaching blood in the NHL.  Nill also needs to figure out what to do with his goalie situation.  It might be wise to buyout Letonen or Niemi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The word is out on NHL channel.  They said he wont be back.  A nice way to say "your fired!".  His stretch in Buffalo will be a tough one to equal in modern day NHL.  He could have coached the Sabres forever as far as I am concerned.  I will always be a fan of Lindy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Lindy is done in Dallas but he will land on his feet somewhere else

Shady Acres Retirement Home for Lousy Coaches. 

 

He was simply not good in Dallas. And honestly, with the team you had in Buffalo, if you'd had a better coach you'd probably have been to a parade. 

 

Probably one of the more overrated coaches out there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ruxpin said:

Shady Acres Retirement Home for Lousy Coaches. 

 

He was simply not good in Dallas. And honestly, with the team you had in Buffalo, if you'd had a better coach you'd probably have been to a parade. 

 

Probably one of the more overrated coaches out there. 

I take offense to that.  The 99 team was not that talented but they went to the finals and almost pulled off a shocker of a Cup win.  That team had no business being in the finals with that talent except for Hasek and Peca.  So you can mock Ruff all you want but the hockey community does not share your sentiments.  He was an average player at best, but one hell of a coach.  Ask Murray, the brains behind Ottawa.  He may hate him but he respects him.  And if he coached Philly you might have had a parade when you got there vs Chicago.  Instead of that fat Hitchcock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First coach fired and maybe first coach hired.  Where is the only question.  Nothing will happen until the playoffs end.  More firings are sure to happen.  Florida is a place where they need a coach.  Big time.  He started his coaching career there and as an assistant went to the finals.  They underachieved and they looked very promising early on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hockey Junkie said:

I take offense to that.  The 99 team was not that talented but they went to the finals and almost pulled off a shocker of a Cup win.  That team had no business being in the finals with that talent except for Hasek and Peca.  So you can mock Ruff all you want but the hockey community does not share your sentiments.  He was an average player at best, but one hell of a coach.  Ask Murray, the brains behind Ottawa.  He may hate him but he respects him.  And if he coached Philly you might have had a parade when you got there vs Chicago.  Instead of that fat Hitchcock.

First point of clarification, fat ass Hitchcock was not the coach in 2010 when the Flyers lost to the Hawks. Laviolette was the coach.

 

Secondly, the first line of your post says it all. The Sabres last appeared in the finals in 99. That was 17 years ago and how long has Ruff been gone, 4 seasons. That's 13 years of mediocre under Ruff's watch to go along with a few years before 99. I can't think of another coach that was allowed to stick around that long without producing championship results or at least having a few cracks at it. Average player, average coach. 

 

P.S.- Thank you Brett Hull!

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Samifan said:

First point of clarification, fat ass Hitchcock was not the coach in 2010 when the Flyers lost to the Hawks. Laviolette was the coach.

 

Secondly, the first line of your post says it all. The Sabres last appeared in the finals in 99. That was 17 years ago and how long has Ruff been gone, 4 seasons. That's 13 years of mediocre under Ruff's watch to go along with a few years before 99. I can't think of another coach that was allowed to stick around that long without producing championship results or at least having a few cracks at it. Average player, average coach. 

 

P.S.- Thank you Brett Hull!

 

 

That is your opinion and there are many more that disagree.  There are many many teams in the league now.   It makes it that much more difficult to win it all.  And the beset team does not always win.  I still believe the goaltending equipment is too large.  It needs to be taken back. Ruff is going to land a job somewhere.  And likely Hitch will also

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

That is your opinion and there are many more that disagree.  There are many many teams in the league now.   It makes it that much more difficult to win it all.  And the beset team does not always win.  I still believe the goaltending equipment is too large.  It needs to be taken back. Ruff is going to land a job somewhere.  And likely Hitch will also

I never said Ruff won't find another job. I am just saying he is an average coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Samifan said:

I never said Ruff won't find another job. I am just saying he is an average coach.

 

I was going to say dead on accurate, although you may be giving slightly too much credit.  I'll stick with average.

 

I was actually thinking the 2005-06 team, too.  A better coach and they win that.  They had the team.  

 

And I know they have crap in goal in Dallas.  That's not on Ruff.  And this season they dealt with a host of injuries.   That's not on Ruff either.   But I think in the 4 years he's there, they have some better results with a better coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hockey Junkie said:

And if he coached Philly you might have had a parade when you got there vs Chicago.  Instead of that fat Hitchcock.

 

You were already corrected on the coach so I won't pile on.  And honest mistake given the coaching carousel in Philly. That really wasn't a great team, though, and I don't think we're even playing Chicago if Ruff is behind the best.  He'd have had some justifiable excuse and said, "well, we did the best we could."

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ruxpin said:

 

You were already corrected on the coach so I won't pile on.  And honest mistake given the coaching carousel in Philly. That really wasn't a great team, though, and I don't think we're even playing Chicago if Ruff is behind the best.  He'd have had some justifiable excuse and said, "well, we did the best we could."

Ruff had the Sabres in contention pretty much every year.   I would take him back in a minute.  I doubt they will part ways with Bylsma.  He won a Cup because he had the horses.  Lindy almost won in 99 without the horses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Samifan said:

I never said Ruff won't find another job. I am just saying he is an average coach.

Would be poetic justice if he wound up behind the Philly bench!!!  LOL

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Hockey Junkie said:

Would be poetic justice if he wound up behind the Philly bench!!!  LOL

No poetic justice would be the Flyers signing Ryan Miller......

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Samifan said:

No poetic justice would be the Flyers signing Ryan Miller......

 

Let's go all in and get a crap goalie AND a crap coach.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as that run to the Finals in 1999... There was this guy named Dominik Hasek that dragged that team kicking and screaming to the Finals. They were that bad, and he was that incredible. I give him WAY more credit for that trip than Ruff.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So it sounds like if you want to get a top 5 draft pick Ruff is the guy to get you there....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2017 at 8:33 AM, OccamsRazor said:

 

 

Yes he is gone!

 

Enter the last guy who brought them a Stanley Cup!!!!

 

83d99f4c4988386cc175abbf6dc8a3c0

 

 

BOOOOM!!!

 

 

NAILED IT!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, OccamsRazor said:

 

 

BOOOOM!!!

 

 

NAILED IT!!!!

 

maker golf.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Most Liked Posts in This Topic

    • 2
      Post
      Congrats to @yave1964 for properly predicting this exciting news.    Ruff was stuck with garbage goaltending but I still think he is an overrated coach IMO. The only reason he lasted so long in Buffalo is because they gladly accept mediocrity in WNY.    Maybe he lands in Vegas?
    • 2
      Post
      As far as that run to the Finals in 1999... There was this guy named Dominik Hasek that dragged that team kicking and screaming to the Finals. They were that bad, and he was that incredible. I give him WAY more credit for that trip than Ruff.
    • 1
      Post
      Dallas Stars coach Lindy Ruff will be fired if the team does not make the playoffs, a high ranking official within the organization said. “He’s got to win,” the official said. “You can’t fire the other 23 guys.” The above quote was from a couple of weeks ago when the Stars still had a chance, they are good and buried and the night of the long knives will likely be coming soon. I love Jim Nill the Stars GM, as a former Wings assistant who under the radar was responsible for some of our bette
    • 1
      Post
      I thought he was a strange signing, a rookie GM bringing in a veteran coach but Nill in Detroit always thought outside of the box. I expect the next signee in Dallas to be someone out of the blue not a retread.     Oh and I hope that if/when Blashill is put out of his misery in Detroit that Ruff is not the pick.
    • 1
      Post
      Shady Acres Retirement Home for Lousy Coaches.    He was simply not good in Dallas. And honestly, with the team you had in Buffalo, if you'd had a better coach you'd probably have been to a parade.    Probably one of the more overrated coaches out there. 
    • 1
      Post
      So it sounds like if you want to get a top 5 draft pick Ruff is the guy to get you there....
×
×
  • Create New...